The Ultimate Marty McFly Jean Jacket Lining Thread

I've put together this new composite image with the second lining shot we have, and aside from giving us the rest of the detail on the "Casablanca" woman's face, it doesn't seem like it's going to give us much more detail. The resolution is too low and the JPG artifacting is too high. We really need to try to find originals of these pictures if possible.

Anyhoo, here's the new composite, matched and color corrected as best as I can, and also with shadows minimized as much as possible:

HollywoodLiningComposite.jpg

Thoughts?

-Nick

If the 2nd image (Yellow Fellow) is in fact Brando - which I still have my doubts on - it might be from the 1948 photoshoot with Carl Von Vechten:

marlon_brando_carl_van_vechten_2.jpgmarlon_brando_carl_van_vechten_3.jpg

It's really the only time I've found Brando with such wild hair. The eyebrows looks definately more Brado-ish on the Yellow Fellow then Dean-ish but not sure about the nose. These could be outtakes from famous photoshoots as they seem to have used those as a set dressing apparently.

Found this gem - a Guess Marciano 'Gasoline' jean jacket - on eBay BIN for only $20! Just arrived in the mail yesterday and not only does it fit great but it looks great with the rest of my pieces (I own the rereleased Shah Safari shirt, red & white Nike Bruins and other screen accurate pieces).

Obviously it's not screen accurate but for the style and the color scheme, it's the closest I've been able to find. Looks far better than a lot of the reproduction jackets. Now just to add the paisley lining for the rolled up sleeves!

IMG_4027.JPGIMG_4028.jpgIMG_4024.JPGIMG_4023.JPG

Found this gem - a Guess Marciano 'Gasoline' jean jacket - on eBay BIN for only $20! Just arrived in the mail yesterday and not only does it fit great but it looks great with the rest of my pieces (I own the rereleased Shah Safari shirt, red & white Nike Bruins and other screen accurate pieces).

Obviously it's not screen accurate but for the style and the color scheme, it's the closest I've been able to find. Looks far better than a lot of the reproduction jackets. Now just to add the paisley lining for the rolled up sleeves!
View attachment 452344View attachment 452343
View attachment 452345View attachment 452346

Great deal!

I should have a sample of paisley material by next month.

The type of paisley they used is so odd. It's VERY spaced apart for paisley. I just want to do a little more work on it before I show it off in this thread this week.

-Nick

Great deal!

I should have a sample of paisley material by next month.

The type of paisley they used is so odd. It's VERY spaced apart for paisley. I just want to do a little more work on it before I show it off in this thread this week.

-Nick

Will your pattern also be an item that can be purchased? I personlly would like some because the maxcady jacket's paisley liner design is too big.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Wow holy crap this is awesome! Bttf has some serious wardrobe research that gets crazier and crazier. Nice to see this and its getting progress! Ya know what would be less screen accurate but still just as cool? If someone made a custom collage like in the original lining, but using BTTF characters and photos

I'm not trying to stop the research and the project, nor am I trying to sell anything but a Spoonflower design of the Jacket lining says it was copied "from Universal Wardrobe dept." I haven't matched anything up with what the designer has drawn and what is shown here but does this mean it's possible to actually just ask for these kinds references and information?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not trying to stop the research and the project, nor am I trying to sell anything but a Spoonflower design of the Jacket lining says it was copied "from Universal Wardrobe dept." I haven't matched anything up with what the designer has drawn and what is shown here but does this mean it's possible to actually just ask for these kinds references and information?

Looking at screen caps of the liner and the version on spoonflower, I would say they are close, but not exact. And I don't see anywhere where it says it was copied from the Universal Wardrobe Dept.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at screen caps of the liner and the version on spoonflower, I would say they are close, but not exact. And I don't see anywhere where it says it was copied from the Universal Wardrobe Dept.
I suppose I was just reading between the lines when the description said it was from the wardrobe department. Seriously though. I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask this but is it possible to just contact people from the film's wardrobe department or the studio's and simply ask?

10314635_10206003865273053_8302310317276492509_n.png

Here is a good picture of the Spoonflower Paisley Cuff I bought for my kid's costume. It isn't the correct jacket, but the pic is for reference. I really like it, and it's pretty close.

As I stated in Hollywoodtailor's thread, I'm going on record as saying that #5 definitely looks more like Bogie and Bacall.

Glad to help! Don't worry... I'll be using all this information selfishly at some point to update our own replica! ;)

I'd be disappointed if you didn't. haha

I'm a fan of sharing information as much as possible, so EVERYONE gets better replicas. So I can't wait to see what you're able to produce.

-Nick

I really look forward to these jacket replicas. It really is an underrated costume piece. Most people cosplay as 2015 Marty.

Hi Guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster :)

With regard to the "The Blue Two":

Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 2.03.20 AM.png

I've always been reminded of "It's a Wonderful Life" (The telephone scene). That movie is a well known favorite of Zemekis' and Spielberg's:

stewart.PNG

I couldn't get a screenshot of the exact pose on the lining, but it could perhaps be the artist's representation of the scene (throughout the scene both Stewart and Reed pull faces similar to the illustration). Here's the full scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJBbDW491V0

Just thought I'd throw that into the mix, I could be way off, but thought it was worth mentioning. :)

Last edited:
It's Bogie and Bacall! Her hairline and eyebrows are unmistakable.

Yeah the more I look at it, the less likely it seems that it's anyone other than Bacall.

I noticed too that the hollywood lining seems to be only on Marty's right side. Could it be that it was added because they needed a breast pocket in the jacket? Don't know if the jacket originally had one...

WHOA! Why am I only now finding out about that site?! That's awesome, thanks! There are a few interesting shots but still nothing that focuses on the Paisley enough.

That said, based on my rewatch of the movie last night AND a shot or two from that site, I now believe that the inside-left lining is entirely paisley. Maybe the Hollywood lining was simply a repair job...because it doesn't appear to be used on the other side. (Which actually would make accuracy HUGELY easier)

Thanks again. I'm going to see if I can whip up some Paisley tonight or tomorrow.

-Nick

I too watched it frame by frame, and likewise, I think that the Hollywood lining was only on the bottom right section, most probably to provide a pocket for the AIWA (as mentioned previously) (See pics 6 and 7). Bob Gale said that the budget didn't allow for costume design from scratch, so Deborah Lynn Scott had to use whatever was available in the Wardrobe department. It could simply have been that she couldn't source anymore paisley material.

Below are some stills I have taken and some found images showing the Paisley on the left side, and the Hollywood pocket.

I know it's not much, but it might help shed a little light on why the Hollywood lining was added.

14.jpg 21.jpg 38.jpg 410.jpg
512.jpg 66.jpg 77.jpg
93.jpg

So, I've been quiet on this front lately, but that's because I've been toiling away on what I believe to be the most accurate paisley pattern yet. I didn't want to bore you guys with all the minute changes and shifts and general research into paisley patterns I was doing. BUT, all that can end now because I just ordered a swatch of this from Spoonflower:

Screen Shot 2015-10-30 at 12.17.02 AM.png

Once I have it in hand, assuming I can't find any major issues with it, I'll make the pattern available on Spoonflower so everyone can have the most accurate paisley imaginable.

Once it's up, I'll post the link on TheRPF, but all my current BTTF projects are going to go under the name of "Fusion Industries Fashion" and I'm calling this particular pattern "Jumping Ship." (I really hope I don't have to explain that to anyone haha)

I'll update this thread when I've got the sample in hand. (The one thing that still may need tweaking is the background color, but that's what samples are for!)

EDIT: Oh and a fun discovery, confirmation that the inner BACK lining is paisley too:

Screen Shot 2015-10-30 at 3.04.54 AM.png

This is a feature it looks like Headgoonie's latest jacket misses, but that single "pill" up top and one more you can JUST make out towards the bottom confirms that only the inside-right lining is Hollywood themed.

...I also think the Blue Two may actually be from two separate movies. But confirming that is part of my next phase of lining design.

-Nick

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back