Full Size TOS Colonial Viper in aluminium

Happy to share with like minded people. I wanted to document the build as best I could in photos and hopefully inspire other builders.

I would love to see full size versions of the many other sci fi fighter ships, eg x-wing, a-wing, buck rogers Thunderfighter, etc.
Man after my own heart. :) I love it when builders and makers share their stories and knowledge!!

That sounds very possible - I could certainly believe it if Richard Hatch was involved. He appears to be a genuine fan of all things BSG.

The re-imagined MkII and MkVII filming props still seem to appear from time to time. Good to know these are still with us :)

Sweet build.
Please keep on going.

Didn't Richard Hatch have one that he sold off in the last couple of years?

Sweet build.
Please keep on going.

Didn't Richard Hatch have one that he sold off in the last couple of years?

I worked on Richard's trailer. The Cockpit viper set he had in his trailer was fan-made.. and very low tech. The buttons were M&M's actually...

- - - Updated - - -

Hi

Among my many projects, I'm also building a full size TOS Colonial Viper based on an aluminium airframe.

My progress to date can be found here:

http://projectviper.wordpress.com/

Enjoy!
Crazy cool.. This looks way more pro than the ones used on the show! :)

I worked on the trailer as well.
Unfortunally all but one of my scenes where left out.

That's showbiz for you.:p
I think Richard just gravitated towards the newest shots he got in..so if you made shots early on..by the time they edited it together they had seen them too many times..

Will you actually be able to sit in it when it's all done or will it be display only? Aluminum shell + grown man = easily rimpled...

This is a fantastic build. Keep up the great work! All you need is the BSG flight suit and you'll be ready to fly!

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement.
I'm designing the main fuselage (including the cockpit) to support an occupant load of at least 100kg or 220lbs. A monocoque aluminium structure is surprising rigid, but I'll also be including some structural load beams to make sure it will handle the extra load of a 'pilot'.

Great to see your progress! The guy at Techshop I mentioned in an earlier post, who's building an airplane, has also come a long way:

IMG_0546.jpg

His riveting method looks exactly like yours.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back