Vertex's Battlestar Galactica 78' - Builds and Stuff

Vertex

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Working on a few things at the same time so I figured I'd put them all under one thread.

Helping some friends that do the warrior ceremonial/dress uniform which is seen in a few episodes. I'm also working on this build myself but its not quite ready. I wasn't too impress with what they had for the neck piece so I went ahead and modeled / printed a new one for them.

Lieutenant_Sheba_Screencap_143.png

As you can see there are several versions. I counted 5 in Total - Apollo, Starbuck, Boomer, Sheba and Col. Tigh. They are all gold with the exception of Tigh's which is silver. After going through screen caps I broke it down to these.

So in the case of Sheba the upper row is - U1 - U2 x 7 - U1. Which means its starts with U1 followed by 7x U2's and then a another U1. Hope the key makes sense.

Guide.jpg

The top plate for Apollo and Starbuck are very similar, with only the top glyph rotated 45".

Boomer, Sheba and Col Tigh's have more differences.

Boomer.png

Sheeba.png

Tigh.png

Last edited:
Printed some to test different paints / applications.

IMG_3016.JPG

Here's a shot so you can get a sense of scale.

IMG_3005.JPG

Tried with just some rattle can gold even though I was not confident of the end result.

IMG_3021.JPG

So I opted to go the rub n buff route. Here's a quick test using 2 different RNB's (Left and Center) that were painted with a black base.

IMG_3028.JPG

I also did the center pieces with clear resin and alcohol paints. I tested different colors/combos.

IMG_3017.JPG

Here's the final result for my test.

IMG_3079.JPG

I am also working on a helmet. Got 95% of the exterior and interior done. I'm hoping to start printing this by the end of next week.

Since this one is intended to be used at cons and such I'll do the main shell in FDM and do the clear parts, mic? and those side sensor? with the resin printer.

Capture006.JPG

Last edited:
Forgot to mention that for the neckpiece I did of mix of Siraya tech fast and tenacious (I think I did a 1/5 or 1/6 ratio) as these are meant to be worn but are not load bearing.

what you are doing with the necklaces look great i would be interested in a set of them good luck with the helmet back to the necklaces you might want to do apollo version in both silver and gold for he also wore a silver one when he wore dress blues when he got married to serina.

Looks great and your blue Tunic looks beautiful!

Thanks bud. Hey I see you have a blue warrior jacket in your avatar pic. At least I think its blue :p

Where did you source it? I've been wanting a jacket to go with my blues. I know you never see one in the show but I recall reading an interview somewhere (Starlog maybe?) that they had made a jacket for Tigh but they never used it.

what you are doing with the necklaces look great i would be interested in a set of them good luck with the helmet back to the necklaces you might want to do apollo version in both silver and gold for he also wore a silver one when he wore dress blues when he got married to serina.

Yeah its easy enough to do in another color.

I only know of one person that would like to make the apollo blue dress but its been really hard to find the Silver/Back trim. and in the case of the blue dress the cape is even longer than the brown warrior cape which means even more trim.

I know both checkerboard trim is hard to find I have someone possible that might make the blue outfit for me but not sure yet I only said it for apollo wore a sver necklace when he wore the blue outfit and I am looking for the outfit first then worry about a cape next plus I currently have atleast 6 other costumes in my collection right now

Thanks bud. Hey I see you have a blue warrior jacket in your avatar pic. At least I think its blue :p

Where did you source it? I've been wanting a jacket to go with my blues. I know you never see one in the show but I recall reading an interview somewhere (Starlog maybe?) that they had made a jacket for Tigh but they never used it.
It is a tan Screen used one

I know both checkerboard trim is hard to find I have someone possible that might make the blue outfit for me but not sure yet I only said it for apollo wore a sver necklace when he wore the blue outfit and I am looking for the outfit first then worry about a cape next plus I currently have atleast 6 other costumes in my collection right now

(Sorry missed you message)

Yeah its getting extremely difficult to find either. I lucked out and was able to get just enough trim from a piece goods place out in LA. But they've been sold out since long ago.

Are you going with Stephan on your blues?

i am not going with Stephan who has listed on etsy.com i am going with someone else but havenot gotton a full commitment done yet still in the research phase right now. if i can help you with anything bsg related just let me know.

i am not going with Stephan who has listed on etsy.com i am going with someone else but havenot gotton a full commitment done yet still in the research phase right now. if i can help you with anything bsg related just let me know.

Gotcha. I asked if it was Stephan as there aren't many people making these now a days. Looking forward to seeing the end product. I keep hoping Indy will come through, but even then he said they would only do tans.

Thanks for the offer to assist.

as a novelty wear and not of costume quality there is a person on etsy.com known as judewear that is selling pullover shirts that look similar to the warrior tan and bridge officer shirts and is selling hoodies also.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back