Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release) (Spoilers)

Maybe she is just Han's long lost daughter from another mother.

No wait that wouldn't work if this is 30 years after the OT. Unless he and Leia split for a while.

OK, I have a question: Why does it seem that there is a lot of emphasis being put on how dilapidated and beat up the Falcon is in Ep 7? Hasn't it always been a piece of junk or am I missing something?

I don't think the same as you do, Art. There are strong women as well as there are strong men. Not all are suited for some kind of things. Not every soldier can be a US SEAL.

...Especially if they do kill Han in this movie, which I think is VERY likely...

I agree. I think the only way HF agreed to come back was if they kill HS. As I've stated... with the older HS gone, Disney would then be able to capitalize on the opportunity to tell his back story - a young HS, new adventures, younger Chewie, MF, Lando, Boba, etc etc etc

I would have NO ISSUE with this at all! :)

- - - Updated - - -

OK, I have a question: Why does it seem that there is a lot of emphasis being put on how dilapidated and beat up the Falcon is in Ep 7? Hasn't it always been a piece of junk or am I missing something?

I'm not sure... it is the 57 Chevy of the SW universe. I'm just glad she's back on screen! However, if we're talking age move over Falcon... R2-D2 has GOT to be well into his 80s by now? :)

Man, based in some of these responses Disney can't win. It's either where are the women and people if color or its stop pandering and being PC! And then they bring in a lead female character and people complain about how they perceive she is introduced on stage. Unbelievable.
It's all about perception. You don't make women or people of color equal by pretending they aren't treated unequally, you do it by putting them front and center just as if they were a white male. Eventually everyone will realize that people are people, all deserving of the chance to be awesome on their own merits.

It's all about perception. You don't make women or people of color equal by pretending they aren't treated unequally, you do it by putting them front and center just as if they were a white male. Eventually everyone will realize that people are people, all deserving of the chance to be awesome on their own merits.

If only every one who cried 'political correctness is warping the media' could read that..

Thought this comic would be relevant to the discussion.

tumblr_ncp3ak2nbD1t1brz9o1_540_zpsvxbqfzee.png

tumblr_ncp3ak2nbD1t1brz9o3_540_zpsaxc57hxj.png

tumblr_ncp3ak2nbD1t1brz9o4_540_zpsizn6n9l3.png

tumblr_ncp3ak2nbD1t1brz9o5_540_zpstxfuhzvn.png

tumblr_ncp3ak2nbD1t1brz9o7_540_zpsko7wqimc.png

Megan Rosalarian Gedris said:
This is why you don’t make your strong female characters perfect in every way. They have no way to grow, and so they end up boring. Watching someone sit atop a mountain peak isn’t as interesting as watching someone climb a mountain. Give female characters flaws, give them things to overcome, let them have their own interesting journeys. This isn’t the only way to overcome this trope, but it helps.

And that's pretty much it. When you take everything we've seen of Rei's character compared to what we've seen of Finn's, which one of those two looks like they have a real journey ahead of them? Finn looks like he has doubts on his role as an imperial, gets lost on a desert planet and is help by Rei to get him back on his feet. Everything we've seen of Rei looks like she's going to be a female character from that comic up above.

And that's pretty much it. When you take everything we've seen of Rei's character compared to what we've seen of Finn's, which one of those two looks like they have a real journey ahead of them? Finn looks like he has doubts on his role as an imperial, gets lost on a desert planet and is help by Rei to get him back on his feet. Everything we've seen of Rei looks like she's going to be a female character from that comic up above.

That comic is terrific.

My hope is that JJ is aware of this ridiculous paradigm and is going to lean away from it. Finn is getting a lot of press because of how he fits into the plot, but I think Rey will have plenty to do in this film as well. Besides the suspicions of people thinking it's pandering, I don't see any evidence that Rey's character will be simplistic or sidelined. Fingers crossed.

I don't consider this pandering or PC and THIS IS WHO IS IN CHARGE, PEOPLE.

http://badassdigest.com/2015/04/16/kathleen-kennedy-star-wars-is-for-women-too/

A very promising and much needed announcement to be sure. I only hope that the people she hires to make these new Star Wars projects share the same feelings. Hiring JJ Abrams was pretty rough for me to begin with because his track record for female characters is shoddy at best (Super 8 token female kid getting damseled) and really sexist at worst (Justifying the Carol Marcus underwear scene from STID with incorrect statistics). I'm hoping those elements were just JJ indulging Bob and Alex's childish insistence that this is what made Star Trek popular, since JJ understanding of what made Trek popular was not high on his list of priorities ("This is a film for movie fans, not Star Trek fans").

Considering we still know very little about the characters or plot, I'm not gonna jump to any sort of kneekerk reaction, here (beyond 'I like what I see so far'). That comic above could apply equally well to Neo and Morpheus (minus 99.9% of the sexual tension). 'The mentor and the chosen one' is a storytelling trope how many thousand years old? We have zero data so far to indicate Rey does any more for Finn than give him a hand up when the First Order is carpet-bombing, presumably looking for him/to kill him, and gives him a lift out of there. Either she knows some Resistance folks or they run into same, or otherwise through various script contortions he ends up getting mentored by Luke. Not Rey. And since he was already a stormtrooper, and she a fringer, I'm willing to be he's a more-highly-traind fighter than she.

I honestly hadn't thought at all about skin color or gender until other people commented (usually negatively). They were just... the actors cast. I was curious to see their respective character arcs, however deep or shallow those arcs may ultimately be over the film and the triogy (and beyond). When Finn popped up in the first teaser, the first thing I noticed? Stormtrooper-like armor. The second thing? Probe droid noises. It wasn't until people online started saying how he had to be in disguise cuz there aren't any black stormtroopers and stuff like that that his skin color in any way crossed my radar. I mean, I'd noticed, yes, but I hadn't noticed -- like I'll notice you've got brown hair or green eyes. It's just a datum that gets filed in case it becomes relevant later.

Likewise, I don't automatically assume anyone is or isn't a main character (although I think smart money's on Finn, because Jedi). Rey wil probably have a more well-rounded character and role than Leia or Padme, due to 1) different era and 2) George Lucas isn't writing her. Padme did okay in TPM, but then the whole love story/forbidden romance thing got smeared all over AOTC and ROTS and she did little but angst in those other two films. As long as Rey gets better than than, I'll be happy. And from the examples we're seeing in Clone Wars (Ahsoka) and Rebels (Hera and Sabine), I'm optimistic. Which reminds me of a sidebar on the matter of unthnking sexism. Can we stop calling strong, competent girls/women "spunky", "sassy", "feisty", "tomboy", or other words that 1) would not be used for boys/men and 2) indicate they are somehow "not actling like normal girls/women". I ground my teeth when I saw all those labels being applied to Sabine...

--Jonah

Yeah, this young lady looks nothing like Natalie Portman or Kiera Knightly. Nope, could not possibly be Han and Leia's daughter.

Daisy-Ridley-Burberry-London-Los-Angeles-Event-ETiGluWhXITx.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

For crying out loud look at her. She is Han meets Leia/Natalie/Kiera.

During the big kick off The Force Awakens preview panel on Thursday at Celebration, Kennedy promised that we would be seeing more strong female roles in the new Star Wars films. She expanded on this to the BBC saying,

"We're putting women in strong roles. We're just changing things up a bit so that the characters inside the Star Wars universe reflect the audience. And that's what I think in general most movies should do, and why not Star Wars."

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back