Han Solo Costume and Belt Accessories Help

AntiqueOutings

So I am going as Han Solo this Halloween and I am in the process of tracking stuff down for the costume. I could use some help tracking down or figuring out what to use for items that are **. Gearing up for this has been really fascinating as I learn about the props that were used and their history. I was 12 when the first StarWars movie hit the big screen, so it's a little bit of memory lane for me. The other cool thing is my wife is going to be princess Leia. I was going to try for Luke Skywalker, but how could I kiss my sister. :)

Gun
  • Metal Flash
  • Broomhandle Mauser Replica Gun
  • WWII Sherman Tank Scope
  • ** Need a bracket to hold the scope ** Not sure where to find it.

The 2 I have seen look great, but I am not sure where to track these down.

P9150001.jpg

Bastelei004.jpg

Belt & Accessories

• Belt - Leather will be made in time for Halloween (Being made MP Filmcraft by http://www.mpfilmcraft.com/mpfilmcraft/Han.html). It looks like a really nice rig. The cool part is he lives in Austin, as do I, so I can go there and he can custom fit it for me.
  • soloANH1.jpg
  • Droid Caller - Kobold camera flash - Mine is the mostly silver and red lettering.
  • esbkolbold2.jpg
  • ** All the extra doodads that are in the pouches ** I don't know exactly what to look for. What did they use in real life? Did they base the items on existing products like the Kobold Flash or were they completely made up?

Costume
  • Soviet Officer Boots
  • ** White Long Sleeve Shirt **
  • Black 3 hole punched belt
  • ** Vest **
  • ** Pants **

If you know of some good places to locate some of these or people here who make them I would greatly appreciate any assistance.

I hate the quality of most of their stuff, but if in a pinch--try the CostumeBase Han Solo costume. The vest, pants and shirt are close enough for Halloween and your holster rig from Matt will make it look better.
You can get the equestrian riding boots from many places.
You could also "get by" with the cheap Captains Boots you see on eBay.

I got to meet Matt from MP Filmcraft today. He makes amazing (really amazing) hand stitched leather Han Solo and Luke Skywalker belts. Did I mention they are really amazing and look totally legit. They are costly at $400, but IMO they are the best I have seen. Even if I were to get bored with the belt, I am sure they would still fetch $250 or more.

http://www.mpfilmcraft.com/mpfilmcraft/Han.html

He is a master leather worker who works out of his house. When I visited, he had museum quality leather armor displayed throughout the house. Very impressive. I will post some pictures of the belt when it's ready. Should be ready before Halloween.

Hey Cameron I might take you up on your Power Cell. I am still trying to find the green canister ones that were made for vintage soda bottles.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the shirt, pants, and vest, I would hit up a thrift store if you can sew at all or know anyone who can. The shirt is usually an easy find. I've had to modify the collars and cuffs on several, but otherwise, it's a stock disco type shirt or cotton pullover men's shirt.

The pants - well, depends on how accurate you want. If this is for just Halloween and isn't going to be for a serious cosplay or Rebel Legion or whatever, any brown (ESB) or blue (ANH) pants will do you. The bloodstripes can be a pain, though. I used appropriately colored bias tape with iron-on hem tape stripes and then fabric glued them to my pants, but there are many, many ways to do this.

Here's a crappy cell phone pic of mine (I'm doing Yavin Luke) and my friend's (ANH Han):
https://twitter.com/wabbit89/status/519838514155122688

Another view, with my hand-made belt and holster (made from my favorite way to make such things, using a belt and purse from the thrift store):
https://twitter.com/wabbit89/status/520604577482428417

I've since made a DDR blaster that's not perfect, but will do for Halloween. Painted that gun and added a PVC barrel with the appropriate doo-dads.

Vest also has many options. The "Falcon Jacket," either bought (pricey) or made (not bad at all, and pattern is online) is likely your best bet, but you can get the look from many things. I made my friend's for this year out of a coat I found at the thrift store (cut off the bottom part, cut off the sleeves, altered it to fit a larger chested woman, and then added the pockets) for a grand total of $5.

Cool. Thanks for the info. I ended up buying a 90's official vest made by by Anjon Apparel

$_35.JPG

I also found a shirt, not sure if it is a replica or home made. I wanted to get the other ESB shirt, but this one was available.

$_57.JPG

Here is one of the tools for my belt. These are Lechmere Soda Fountain Chargers. Look the same as the Sparklets.

$T2eC16dHJGgFFm3)NHolBSSE2wqdrg~~60_57.JPG

$_35.JPG

$_57.JPG

$T2eC16dHJGgFFm3)NHolBSSE2wqdrg~~60_57.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
My Kobold Droid caller arrived today. Rather sweet. It's the all silver one with red lettering. It has the camera shoe on the bottom and an extra flash holder at the top. It also contained an old blue Ever Ready battery. The battery says made in Britain. I thought it was rather cool. Found it at a vintage camera store. YES!

battery_b122_1375202.jpg

photo 2.JPG

The piece to the side goes on top to hold the flash bulb. You can see it connected in the first picture
photo 1.JPG

Anyone know if the bottom shoe unscrews or is it permanent. It's on pretty tight.

Last edited:
The sparklett was in his belt in ANH. A capacitor was in the same spot in ESB. I thought from the blaster you chose that you are doing ESB?

Right now I don't have the $ to do everything I would like to do. I will be a mishmash of Han Solos. :ninja For most people they will never know, but of course you guys will.

I guess I will need a little elbow grease, because that shoe is on really tight.

WD-40 could come in handy too to loosen it up ... otherwise try plain butter, however not that margerine fake and toxic stuff ... or soap :)

Chaim

Here is what I have for my belt thus far.
Kobold Flash
Lechmere Soda Fountain Charger (I believe it is the same as the Sparklets)
SoloHold's Blaster Cells (Metal very cool)

photo 1.JPG

I was able to get the bottom shoe removed. Thanks for the encouragement and advise. I just used an antique adjustable wrench and that did the trick :thumbsup
photo 3.JPG

It also came with the cool old blue Ever Ready battery. It says "Made in Britain"
photo 2.JPG

I am thinking I probably will not spray paint this Kobold Flash black because I want to keep it in it's original state. I am now in search of an original one that is black and silver. This will probably be a long wait though, since these are pretty scarce.

Does anyone know what was actually used as the capacitor? Was there a brand name product used or anything?

Anyone have or know where to find the extra dial that is attached to the bottom of the Kobold Flash
han-solo-belt-rig-4_grande.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back