what size is studio scale??

funboy1013xx

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
hey everyone im trying to figure out what "studio scale" is. is there a set size for all movies? t.v. shows? are battlestar galactica tos vipers the same studio scale as x-wings? is the studio scale original enterprise the same size as the original galactica? any help figuring this out would be appreciated! thanks in advance also!!

The scale is basically what ever is required for the shot so no specific scale at all really. There not a formula but as kits where used in the day some smaller model tend to be similar between productions due to available pilots and kits that were around at the time

Studio scale refers to matching whatever scale was used in a particular movie/tv show. When replicating these models, people try to also replicate all the details with original model parts used or castings of them.

Therefore the actual scales differ depending on what detail a model needs to show in certain movies/tv shows, or how much space there is available in the studio. Whatever works for the original people making the movie/tv show.

There are lots of old threads discussing this on The RPF. Searching old threads can help you with questions like this. I've learned a lot by going back through them myself.

I think even the term "Studio Scale" is misleading because newbies often mistake it for a specific scale common to model kits, for example 1/48 or 1/32, Calling it "Studio SIZE" might stop any confusion.

I'm not saying we should all say Studio Size and change the name here, just highlighting the misconception.

This is the way I explain it to people, a Studio Scale model is a replica that is the same size as the filming miniature. It can be whatever "scale" the filming miniature works out to be. As an example, the X-Wing fighters were 2 feet long and had a pilot. The pilot measured out at 1/24 scale, so people refer to X-Wing filming miniatures as 1/24 scale.

Listen to Robiwan he makes sense :), yeh studio scale refers to the replica not the subject " to create a model at the same scale as a filming model"

And another example; the Millennium Falcon model. ILM primarily used a 5 foot model and a 32 inch model. Both are considered the "studio scale" But the 18 inch MPC Falcon is not.

hey everyone im trying to figure out what "studio scale" is. is there a set size for all movies? t.v. shows? are battlestar galactica tos vipers the same studio scale as x-wings? is the studio scale original enterprise the same size as the original galactica? any help figuring this out would be appreciated! thanks in advance also!!

Sticky at top of page, top of the first page..
Studio Scale Modeling Forum

This forum is designed for the discussion of screen used or replica studio scale models. By that we mean models that match the size and scale of minatures created during filming. Also on topic would be kitbashing, scratchbuilding, discovering original parts and and other tips in relation to the replication of studio scale models.

There's your answer OP. It could be any scale the production company used in filming.

Here is another Studio Scale model you can buy off the store shelf, the Moebius TOS Cylon Raider. It's SS because the model is the same size as the filming miniature.
106n3ug.jpg

And the Monogram kit of the Cylon Raider, while being considerably smaller than the Moebius kit, is also SS. Why? Because the Monogram kit was actually used in an episode of BSG. That makes the Monogram kit the same size as a miniature that again was used in the show!

The "Scale" in Studio Scale does not refer to "scale" as a number, such as 1/24, 1/35, 1/48, etc. It refers to the physical size of a replica compared to what was used on screen.

Short answer: no, not unless it's a pilot figure.

Example: the X-wings and Y-wings use 1:144 Saturn V donor parts, but their scale is determined by the size of their pilots.

good god what a nightmare. sorry for even posting. I was thinking of sculpting a SA-43 hammerhead and just wanted to know if there was a standard for "studio scale" across the board for t.v. and movies. as there wasn't a model built for the t.v. show it was all CG. as it sits now, anything goes, its up to my imagination. I deeply apologize to everyone.

This is a related etiquette question.. If you're building a new model that isn't a screen-used design but is in roughly a screen-used scale, it would be posted under General instead of Studio Scale, then?

Yeah, generally the studio scale forum is about replicating actual physical filming models - the "studio scale" moniker is more to do with that and less with actual scale. There's a little bit of grey area with some of the "new BSG" models that people made in 1:24th scale, same as the MCA57 models - but you'll find some people here will take umbrage with even those being posted here.

Also, it's largely also about accuracy - Studio Scale goes hand in hand with really intense research and accurate parts.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back