New Hasbro 30" X-Wing Toy - Impressions

I was working on the engines today and came up with this nice little stencil for helping to paint the engines. I really didn't want to try to tape off all those curves so I cut out this stencil out of some card stock. Fits in there pretty good. Of course, then you have to tape off all the rest, but it helped immensely. This is just a first base coat to get some gray on the engines. I will go back with some dry brushing later to lighten them up and weather them.

Attachments

• 100_0422.JPG
    100_0422.JPG
    716.7 KB · Views: 358
Wow, Albertese, how did you get that cockpit cut out so clean? I think doing that cut that good and building an interior cockpit is a little above my skill level at this point. I think I am just going to go for the black windows right now. I guess I could always come back to it later, but since I am doing two of these I'll just let it be for the time being.

Good job, though!!

Thanks, buddy! I pulled off the stickers, then took a fine sharpie and traced the inner perimeter of the frames. Then I just used a rotary tool to cut the bulk of the plastic out then used a regular hobby knife to trim back to the sharpie line. Keep sighting along the edge to make sure it's mostly straight and then use a small fine-cut file to do the final smoothing. All told, it's took about an hour to cut and finish all three panes.

A scratchbuilt cockpit is definitely on the to-do list for this guy, But, I'm gonna put this one on the back-burner and finish up a different project first. Anyhow, once I really start to dig into this X-Wing project, I'll start a thread for it.

I like your cardstock mask. That's a good idea I'll have to file away to my brain.

Oh, and Mara Jade's Father, I'm a megalomaniac not an egomaniac! Get it right or pay the price! LOL

--Alex

I just picked up one of these today and for what it's worth the R2 unit in the back is spot-on identical in size to his 3.75 Hasbro counterpart. So when I do my mod I'll be using a Hasbro pilot (Porkins) and his R5 astromech. How nice of Hasbro to scale this fighter appropriately! I sure would like to see a TIE now!!

What's the deal with the barber shop pole stripe on the two guns? Do all x-wings have this or only a specific one?

Most (perhaps all) of the 6 x-wing models built for the movie had a barber pole marking of some sort on the cannons. There are great reference photos over on Modelers Miniatures & Magic. Just do a search for each of the Red Squadron units (1, 2, etc) and you'll see them.

I just played with one at the Times square TRU....its a beast. And accurate to boot. Ill pick up one in LA and avoid the $50 and
lugging it around for a couple of days.

Can any 'off the shelf Saturn V' parts be used. Or any other off the shelf engine parts for that matter?

Last edited:
Well, it's somewhat larger than the studio scale ships, so you won't be able to draw on the Saturn V for parts that are correct to the scale, though I imagine you could mange to find some bits to dress the toy up with that would "look good" even if without "being accurate."

--Alex

So, the more I monkey with the pilot scale, the more I find myself second-guessing what looks proper. Opinions on this comparison?
**Just to be clear, the cockpit interior of this model is nowhere close to accurate (those look like car stereos installed lol), and the actual pilots are incomplete and missing details**
** Credit for the original X-Wing model goes to Don Showalter, I added the gear**
Scale comparisons between 3 3/4", 4" (1/18 scale for 6'0" pilot measured to helmet top), and 4.4" characters:

3/4 view

I had seen that one of you (sorry don't remember who mentioned it) had fit a 3 3/4 r2 into the hull, and it sat nicely? If someone could get me a diameter measurement of the hull opening for him, I'd appreciate it; If I have to print my own scale pilot, I can also put together a matching droid.
Also, If someone can get me an appropriate height measurement for the rear landing gear, I'll upload an .stl for 3d printing these parts. Not much point for me to have an open cockpit if I don't have rear gear. :)

Thanks for those, that last one is a great shot.

**edited* I suppose i can also model the struts long, and then they could be cut down to size, but I'd rather have everything scaled out with a top-plate so that it can be mounted in with some reasonable degree of stability. :rolleyes

See if this helps too:

If we assume the eFx X-Wing is scaled correctly, then here are some numbers to use in your calculations for scale.

The length from those to the rear of the main fuselage (not the engines) is 20.75"

The width of R2 from shoulder to shoulder is 1.15"

The width of Luke's shoulders at the very top is 0.758"

The width of Luke's helmet at the ears is 0.420"

Yeah, I'm still liking 3.75 inch.

--Alex

Yeah, I didn't want to, but there's something to be said for an r2 unit (at the 3 3/4 scale group) apparently fitting in nicely. At a 29 1/2" overall length scale, the R2 dome diameter on that 3d model is 1.14". I don't want to make the assumption that it was modeled correctly in proportion to the rest of the ship, seeing as I didn't create it and have no idea what the modeler used for reference, It is food for thought though.
I intend to finish my pilot model either way, along with the rear gear (with better detail) and possibly a cockpit ladder for my own build. Modeling-wise it'd be a bit of a pain, but I'd love to display this ship with a pilot halfway up the ladder to the open cockpit; I think that would look really bang-up, getting him posed and orienting his legs and hands to look natural.

Anyways, I'll post up renders and the .stl files when I get them done, so if anyone else wants to go that route it's an option.

Definitely bookmarking that page.

However, after spending days and days pouring over x-wing threads and searching the internet, it seems there is no real set paint scheme for the x-wing. Every build has a different paint job. So instead of me trying to do what is "right" I am just going to do what I think looks good and go with that.

Last edited:
If this toy is 1:19 scale, a 6 foot figure would be 4 inches tall.

If it's 1:18 scale, the G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero figure would be the correct size at 3 3⁄[SUB]4"[/SUB].

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back