New Hasbro 30" X-Wing Toy - Impressions

The middle one is the one that was based off the FX 1999 version. The last time it was offered within the last couple years as a TRU exclusive with Biggs' ship makings.

The smallest one on the left is the original Kenner 1978 version and later remade for the POTF2 line in the mid 90's.

I have the first version of the middle one, Luke's Red 5 with sound effects. The wings open but it's the same floppy plastic that the recent ships are made of, with a rubber nose cone.

Previously when they were that price that was a catalogue sale. They're now on clearance which means they will get cheaper if they don't sell.

Got one for AUD$28 (USD$22) from Target Australia the other week and a Hero Series MF for AUD$32 (USD$25). I think it was 30% off selected toy lines + an extra 20% off the reduced price with a promo code.

Just went to check the original price and it looks like they have them on special again for AUD$28: http://www.target.com.au/p/star-wars-hero-series-x-wing-a8798/56563177

I can't speak for the good people of NAS Jacksonville, but, as far as average heights, I personally stand right about 6' even, and in my corner of the USA, I'm not three inches taller than the average guy. In fact, I'm pretty much the average height, so I dunno how a 5'9" average was calculated.

But someone upthread suggests figuring scale based, not on the official LFL figure of 12.5 meters, but the studio scale X-Wings being 1:24 scale. So, how long were the studio scale X-Wings? Turns out I don't actually know definitively. But I have a number lodged in my head that I can't seem to verify of 24 inches. (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong... I really would like to know the correct answer.)

So, a 24 inch long model at 1:24 scale would mean the full size would be 48 feet long. A 29.5 inch model of a 48 foot long subject would be closer to 1:19 scale than 1:16. It turns out that a 3.75 inch action figure is fairly close to 1:19 scale. To, the 29.5 inch X-Wing might well fit a 3.75 inch pilot figure.

Let's see how it looks.

Here's the Black Series Biggs figure (I got Biggs because he was the only one the store I went to had. I'll either convert this figure to be Luke (losing the mustache, remarking the helmet) or finding a proper Luke figure at another store.)
http://s25.postimg.org/vdbxn51hb/2014_09_06_12_38_37.jpg

Here's a full scale Mark Hamill sitting in the cockpit set-piece.
http://s25.postimg.org/b78fo95tr/2014_09_06_12_56_42.jpg

And here's the 3.75" Biggs figure positioned in the 29.5" X-Wing fuselage.
http://s25.postimg.org/prpij30sf/2014_09_06_12_58_48.jpg

http://s25.postimg.org/lwm4gihmn/2014_09_06_12_59_58.jpg

I think he looks pretty good in there! The arch formed by the back of the canopy seems to frame the Biggs figure similarly to the framing of the full-size canopy over Mark Hamill's head.

And, really, kudos to the toy-designers at Hasbro! It seems like they scaled their X-Wing to fit their figures matching the sets seen in the films rather than fitting the official LFL numbers. Seems like every time I look into the official numbers, I find that they're basically arbitrary. I'm increasingly of the opinion that the official numbers probably shouldn't even be referenced as they're consistently wrong.

SO! I am recanting my initial 1:16 reckoning and I am now backing 1:19, which fits the 3.75" figures and makes finding appropriately sized pilots much simpler.

--Alex

I was fortunate enough to score a couple of these from Target last year, so I'm exhuming this thread with the hopes that some more builders out there are willing to share their WIPs and final reveals.

To the point though; IMDb lists Mark Hamill at 5'9" but I think he's closer to 5'8". It's obvious in the restored version the actor that plays Biggs (Garrick Hagon?) is taller by several inches, but more importantly, he's broader in every dimension. I'd guess 5'11" maybe even 6'. So, maybe the scale is closer to 1:18 ... ?? Ultimately I support your math using 6' as a measuring height. It might not be a median, but it's easy to calculate and simple to imagine when making mental references.

Anyway, I was stoked at your first estimate since I prefer 1:16, but it won't matter in the end what the scale is. I'll just be happy to build mine. It won't be canon by any stretch of the imagination but that won't take away from the project in the slightest.

Last edited:
Scaling an X-Wing is straight forward because of the R2 unit. The full size R2 has a 461.6mm diameter dome 'base', so measure and scale.

R/ Robert

Scaling an X-Wing is straight forward because of the R2 unit. The full size R2 has a 461.6mm diameter dome 'base', so measure and scale.

R/ Robert

Ah yes, nice solid droid dimensions. I haven't yet cracked my box yet, but I imagine the scale of the R2 unit is identical to the action figures.

Since this toy wasn't designed to accommodate the R2 figure, there is a chance that it is accurately sized & can then be properly scaled by measuring the R2 dome diameter...

R/ Robert

Since this toy wasn't designed to accommodate the R2 figure, there is a chance that it is accurately sized & can then be properly scaled by measuring the R2 dome diameter...

R/ Robert

Yup, using the R2 diameter makes sense so it will most likely be the linchpin for my measurements. The action figures aren't scaled to represent the height of the actors anyhow (Luke is a far cry from his dad's height, but the figures show otherwise).

Last edited:

R/ Robert

The R2 dome is 27mm, so at 460mm for 1:1 scale R2, this baby is 1/17 scale;)....I refer to mine as 1/18th, so close enough.

Thanks for the droid metrics Yaris. It's not important, but I'm a fan for most scales measured in powers of two, so I'm gonna fudge mine toward 1/16 (if reasonable). If not, then it'll be a whatever-scale :)

R/ Robert

Agreed. Toy scales are often an exercise in frustration (but liberating for those who don't give a F!). I'll be doing my best to match the measurements of the movies, but it won't be at a rivet counting intensity. Which will be especially true when I get to the greeblie and paint work.

Last edited:
Daaaaaang!! Dude, that is simply stunning.

BTW, you officially now have you're first YouTube channel subscriber. My hopes are you keep building and posting :)

I'm surprised they didn't make a big ISD. The smaller Titanium ships could fit inside--and the Disney Rebels version smoother...easier to make.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back