Sculpting Riddick

CSMacLaren

Sr Member
sculpting-riddick_zpsfbb10248.jpg

Here's a progress photo of something I've been sculpting over the past week over breakfast. I'll drink my coffee and then noodle a bit, then after work noodle a little bit.

This is the first time I've sculpted a full face human likeness. I'm using soft Klean Klay (and have run out). The top of the head looks slightly weird because it's not a full head, and I've been picking off the back to add stuff to the front.

I'm not going with any particular set of screenshots. I'll just Google search "Riddick" and "Vin Diesel" and go from photo to photo, trying different angles. There's still a bit more accurization that needs to take place and I hope I have the skills to get this looking okay. I'm a novice at human likenesses, but it's sooooo nice to work on something other than Vader.

Let me know how I'm doing!

It's a really good start. I can definitely see the likeness. I thought about sculpting a 1/3 scale Riddick... he's on my list. Keep up the great work. You really have something there. :)

Thanks, guys!

IMG_3031_zpsf2e329c7.jpg

IMG_3028_zpsb53c401f.jpg

IMG_3030_zpsf4c30e2d.jpg

IMG_3029_zps9ec64e86.jpg

IMG_3033_zps1a4b0691.jpg

IMG_3032_zps16012436.jpg

Did some additional work to reduce bulk from his head. A lot of my hi-def shots are of more recent films, and actors' heads can change over time (i.e. head and neck can get fatter). But I want to go for the 'Chronicles of Riddick' look and started looking at some video footage.

I also surmised that some shots I was using as references earlier were 20+ feet away, and so wide angle lenses will pick up a great amount of lateral detail.

This is starting to feel right in terms of proportions. Running out of clay but began sculpting the back of the head. I'd like to do the neck and maybe a bit of the upper chest.

Made some mods to the face so things look a bit rough again. However, I'm pleased with the proportions and where this is going!

Ran out of clay, so given how thick the clay was on the back of his head, I cut the whole rear hemisphere off and stuck a piece of foam in there and resculpted the rear of head. The leftover clay allowed me to fill in the neck. This is just a generic head. I'll eventually circle back to screenshots to make sure the silhouette of my head sculpt compares with Vin's.\

Here's the rebuild process. Time was approx 20 mins.

IMG_3036_zps6b1770f7.jpg

IMG_3038_zpsfab2287d.jpg

IMG_3039_zps79e8fd3a.jpg

IMG_3041_zpsf0854390.jpg

IMG_3042_zps7f4ceec5.jpg

IMG_3043_zpsbe689be0.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back