Will some sculpting materials keep resin from curing?

Darthanguish

Hey guys, newbie sculpting question, but I’m going to use Monster Clay for a bust cast in RESIN, and want to know if I should stay away from any materials that might hurt the curing process (like how sulfur clay makes it so silicone won’t cure).
(BTW, I’d be reusing the clay, so I don’t want to jeopardize future projects).

Specifically, I was going to use spray foam insulation as filler (around my armature, so I don’t use too much clay). It’d be so much cheaper than foam blocks!

Thanks everyone!

In first instance no, you should be safe.
Also, Monster Clay is sulfur free so you would be ok using platinum silicone on it too.
As for reusing the clay it should be ok without affecting future projects, it should be ok too as long as there is no uncured resin or others in it (I understand you´re talking about PU resin?). But crossover contamination can happen (recently used clay with resins or storage close to potential inhibitors etc.) so always make a small test to make sure if you will be using platinum silicone on it.
If there is some inhibition with platinum silicone and contaminated reused clay (sulfur free) you can melt the clay to evaporate what might be bothering. For example if you have used it with polyester resin this would aid to evaporate the styrene left in the clay.

In first instance no, you should be safe.
Also, Monster Clay is sulfur free so you would be ok using platinum silicone on it too.
As for reusing the clay it should be ok without affecting future projects, it should be ok too as long as there is no uncured resin or others in it (I understand you´re talking about PU resin?). But crossover contamination can happen (recently used clay with resins or storage close to potential inhibitors etc.) so always make a small test to make sure if you will be using platinum silicone on it.
If there is some inhibition with platinum silicone and contaminated reused clay (sulfur free) you can melt the clay to evaporate what might be bothering. For example if you have used it with polyester resin this would aid to evaporate the styrene left in the clay.
Thanks for the help! I’m completely new to bust/statue making. I’ve made a couple sculptures before years ago, but never anything past the clay stage. I made one in sulfur clay and one in monster clay. I tried my best to keep everything separate, but I don’t know how paranoid I have to be (like will just keeping the clays close together be enough to mess up silicone curing, or what if I accidentally cross contaminated with a clay pick tool or something?)
It’s going to be 2 to 2.5 ft tall, so maybe if one tiny bit of clay went bad (and the mold gets a divot) I can just patch up the finished product?

I’d hate to be out another $200 maybe, but I’d hate to throw away massive amounts of time if the mold goes wrong. Lol

Is there a favorite clay (sulfur free) among the prop masters here that’s cheaper than monster clay, but similar quality?

Thanks again, can already tell I’ll have a lot of questions going along!

Well, there are several levels of inhibition in platinum silicone. It can go from slight tackiness to non-curing goo soup.
For what you say what I would expect is not more than a slight inhibition because of a slight contamination, if there is. And most probably if you were a bit careful you won´t notice it.
You can always clean your tools with IPA to make sure after using them on sulfur clay.
One sound thing would be not using clay with sulfur in it at all.
And, anyway, before using expensive material like plat silicone, always make a samll test on whatever makes you feel unsure. It will be spending little to avoid throwing a lot to the waste basket. Tests are a life saver.
As for the clay I use Chavant NSP (oil based clay), but not because it´s better or not. I have some buckets full of the stuff. I guess it´s a matter of trying and finding which one suits better to your sculpting ways.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back