Wonder Woman

It's an origin story, right? But she also appears in modern times with Supes and the Bat? So stop worrying about the time period it starts, I'm sure they've got plans to move the story forward for the team up movies like Captain America did

Well the reason is actually most likely a tactical one that has nothing to do with what WW represents, they simply needed a way to tell the story in a contained environment, apart from the current DCEU. The easy way is to change the time period, and since Cap already did WWII, they chose WWI...

Yes, the origin story must predate BvS.

And the change to WW1 could have a relevant and veiled impact.
Since the Amazonian mythos is Grecian and I assume her home is still a Mediterranean Island. The antagonists could have been, not Imperial Germany, but the Ottoman Empire. The other and unused bad guy from the Great War.

Basic story outline, Religious fanatic wants to avenge perceived slights against his society by destroying a major population center with a flying ship. What do you get? The first Guardians of the Galaxy.

It is not hard to hide the message, remain relevant, entertain and make a boat load of money.

Edit: And on that note, DC will be getting my money to see this movie but sadly not so quick to give it up for Justice League.

Last edited:
http://collider.com/wonder-woman-reviews/

giphy.gif

I fbelieve the reason why WWI was chosen over WWII was to clearly illustrate the utter stupidity and futility of war. Unlike WWII with the Nazis, WWI had no historically clearly defined "bad guys." It wasn't a war where the freedom-loving good guys were trying to keep the world from falling under the bootheel of tyrannical despotism. It was just people caught up in a horrifying conflict. No heroes. No villains. Just pure carnage. Pretty much war for the sake of war. It's meant to be an object lesson for Diana on why Man's World is so dangerous for Amazons and why they keep themselves separate. You can't really illustrate that with WWII because that war had clearly defined heroes and villains.

Gonna see it, but still want to know their explanation for what she's up to for the century between this movie and now. That's my biggest outstanding concern... In the comics, she discovered the outside world in the '50s, and was active from there on. In the TV show, it was the '70s. I may have missed one or more comic reboot, but I don't remember seeing any origin for her that has her discovering the outside world in an earlier era than the contemporary setting. Why I wanted this version of her to be contemporary all the way through. There's been enough going on in the Near East/Middle East since the '90s that as a writer I'd be spoiled for choice in coming up with how an American pilot would splash down in the eastern Mediterranean. At this point, the WWI setting just feels like a "let's copy Captain America" choice...

--Jonah

...In the TV show, it was the '70s. I may have missed one or more comic reboot, but I don't remember seeing any origin for her that has her discovering the outside world in an earlier era than the contemporary setting...

The first season of the series was set during WWII, but was updated to "present day" after.

The first season of the series was set during WWII, but was updated to "present day" after.

Really? I always remembered it being contemporary -- including her rescuing the Major in his modern Air Force uniform. Of course, I haven't watched it since SciFi was still airing old series in the late '90s/early '00s...

--Jonah

Really? I always remembered it being contemporary -- including her rescuing the Major in his modern Air Force uniform. Of course, I haven't watched it since SciFi was still airing old series in the late '90s/early '00s...

--Jonah
Yeah, nearly every episode was about Nazi agents infiltrating the U.S. Major Trevor was rescued in his WWII flying duds.

Damn that poster is boss !
View attachment 730865

Its one of the first movie posters I've seen recently that I had a genuine "OH" moment. Caught my eye as I was scrolling, and the more I looked at it, the more it friggin ruled.

I think its the nonchalant way her face is on the picture - it's not heavy to her, it's not difficult to lift it. Framing is great, colours are awesome.

Costume looks great in that picture. One thing always confused me about Wonder Woman though, is she impervious to harm like superman, or no? I know she blocks bullets with her gauntlets, but in the Justice League cartoon, she took big hits from some heavy hitters, so I never really knew what was up.

been browsing various threads across different message boards. hopefully this post isn't seen as 'trolling', so I'll take a shot ;o).

Someone on another forum claims that in his area, Gaurdians was half sold the day tickets went on sale. he did the same for wonder woman and not a single ticket at the same theater was taken yet.

There IS no drama attached to this movie, thankfully, other than bad production issues. and i have no idea how people are able to check to see how many seats are sold in a theater, so I can't back up this claim, but if it's possible, id' be interested in seeing if it holds true.

I'd like to see something other than batman gain a foothold in the dc movie and animated world. I'm tired of batman. but with the mess suicide squad turned out to be i don't have much hope for future movies.

Damn that poster is boss !
View attachment 730865

Not bad, but what the heck is she holding up in her hands? When were there ever tanks that modern looking during WW I? That's an early to mid 30s design, 20s at the earliest, but definitely not anything fielded during the war and esp. not the Germans. It would actually be more impressive if she were holding up a historically accurate WW 1 German tank, those things were behemoths.

Yeah, but then most people wouldn't realize that it's supposed to be a tank. WWI tanks looked vastly different than what people generally associate with the concept. Maybe she'll throw the right kind in the film.

OTOH, look at the parts she's holding. Wouldn't those be more likely to break off in her hands, rather than supporting the whole weight of it?
EDIT: Nvm, it looked like she was holding the railings at first. Now I see she's got it by the edges of the turret.

It is pretty badass though, to be clear.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back