Things you've always wondered about in sci-fi movies

2001 was not made for today's audiences. Unless the audience is prepared for a different mindset, modern viewers will miss the external context beyond just the intent of the presentation.

Just as Trek viewers will not quite understand Lord of the Rings, audiences brought up on Fast and Furious sequels will not understand 2001.

Last edited:
I love the Dawn of Man and final hotel room sequences in 2001; it's everything else, when it's pretending to have characters and a plot, that I find interminable.

2001 was not made for today's audiences. Unless the audience is prepared for a different mindset, modern viewers will miss the external context beyond just the intent of the presentation.

As I recall, even at the time there were people who absolutely hated it:

This is a matter of record: At the film's 1968 premiere, 241 people walked out — including Rock Hudson, who was heard to say, "Will someone tell me what the Hell this is about?," or, more colorfully, "What is this bulls***?" Although that may be apocryphal.

2001:ASO

1. Zoroastrianism. -Will to power. -To infinity and beyond. -The progression of mankind.

2. The secrecy of Roswell. Secrecy about important truths will not save you. Government agencies are headed by top men.

3. Misplaced trust in AI. No Hal 9000 computer has ever made an error or distorted information... Despite running windows.

4. Aliens are among us watching and waiting until we are ready.

It's not that complex, but most people will not get it.

Just as Trek viewers will not quite understand Lord of the Rings, audiences brought up on Fast and Furious sequels will not understand 2001.
I think you mean "The Fast and the Spurious" because it doesn't even follow physics anymore.

That was just Stan Legobrick's way of proving to his audiences that the sound of crickets will still be annoying at every stage of humankind's evolution.
Just imagine having excited crickets on the enclosed space of the ship and you cannot find them. You'd go crazy too, and then see funky colored light tunnels. Even HAL would go nuts, this might be the reason for its behavior indeed.

No Hal 9000 had ever lied before. He was ordered to lie.

Hal was ordered to rank the mission as his highest priority.

Human beings with distorted information will make incorrect choices thereby endangering the mission.

The solution was obvious.

Hal was never programmed not to kill.
2001 ASO was a Sci-Fi movie about a lot of things: murders, the place of Mankind vs the Universe, the reliability of AI and its reaction to lies, the utter silence of the Cosmos and Death.

Not sci fi, but still something I've always wondered about in a great movie; In Dazed and Confused where are all the graduating seniors? It is only the Ben Affleck character (who flunked senior year) that is present. You would think the graduating seniors would be the ones throwing the big parties on the last day of school, yet none of them are ever seen or mentioned.

One thing that always bothered me about Superman: The movie, (No, not the time travel stuff--I can deal with that.) Its Lex Luthor's real estate swindle. It makes no sense. Let's assume Superman is killed by the Kryptonite necklace and can't stop either missile. California is sunk into the ocean. Even if Lex left no evidence that he tampered with the missiles, it is already a known fact that one person is buying all the useless desert land. Obviously, as soon as that person starts making billions of dollars off their new west coast 'beachfront' real estate, someone is going to get suspicious. How could he think he could possibly get away with this?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back