Things you're tired of seeing in movies

That I don't mind, shtick actors/comedians breaking out of their shtick roles; one of my favorite movies of all time is Coming to America, an Eddie Murphy movie where he's not being his usual wise cracking self. Jim Carrey definitely did a good job in KA 2 as did Nicholas Cage in the first one, both, I feel, normally have a shtick and both managed to not fall back on using their shtick in their roles which really helped me believe them as their characters and not just Kim Carrey or Nick Cage being their normal movie selves again.

There have been alot of comedic actors that have broken out of their molds. Tom Hanks (eg: Bachelor Party) started on a show called Bosum Buddies... Bill Murray has gone from movies like Stripes and Ghostbusters to serious roles... Jim Carrey... Rob Schnieder,.. Robin Williams... Danny DeVito... Will Smith... the list goes on. The problem is that we love them best for their comedic roles. I know I prefer seeing Robin in a Comedy role over his more serious work (not that his serious work was bad) its just that I think he feels more comfortable making people laugh. But I can understand how the same type of humor shtick can get tiring when the actor involved isn't that funny to begin with. A few that come to mind are Tyler Perry, Pee Wee Herman or the Ernest movies. I thought PeeWee did a great job in Mystery Men... it was outside of his comfort range and really made him stand out as an actor. What I hate thou, is when they take one hit wonders and try to build movies around them that tend to fail miserably... lets take a look at Toby McGuire and Shea LeBeouf, Neither are very good actors but they do one movie that was really good and they feel as if they have to put them in anything to bring more money to the box office.

That I don't mind, shtick actors/comedians breaking out of their shtick roles; one of my favorite movies of all time is Coming to America, an Eddie Murphy movie where he's not being his usual wise cracking self. Jim Carrey definitely did a good job in KA 2 as did Nicholas Cage in the first one, both, I feel, normally have a shtick and both managed to not fall back on using their shtick in their roles which really helped me believe them as their characters and not just Kim Carrey or Nick Cage being their normal movie selves again.

Ah, but Coming To America ushered in a new schtick for Murphy: wearing makeup to play multiple characters. This would culminate with the Nutty Professor films and Norbit, which effectively appear to have killed his career or at least knocked it out cold for a while.

One that's always ticked me off: Nobody ever says goodbye on the phone much in movies. They simply hang up when they're done talking, and it's never taken as a rude gesture. I get that they're trying to save time, but come on, who really does that?

Ah, but Coming To America ushered in a new schtick for Murphy: wearing makeup to play multiple characters. This would culminate with the Nutty Professor films and Norbit, which effectively appear to have killed his career or at least knocked it out cold for a while.

Oh no, he's continued to do really awful movies. Since Norbit, he's been nominated for the Golden Raspberry award for worst actor in 3 of his last 5 movies.

One that's always ticked me off: Nobody ever says goodbye on the phone much in movies. They simply hang up when they're done talking, and it's never taken as a rude gesture. I get that they're trying to save time, but come on, who really does that?
I do that all the time. It gives people far less desire to call me back. :D

I keed, I keed.

I knew a guy who dispensed with pleasantries for their own sake. If you were on the phone with him, and said "welp, I better get back to work", he'd quickly say "okaybye" and hang up practically before you'd finished saying it.

I knew a guy who dispensed with pleasantries for their own sake. If you were on the phone with him, and said "welp, I better get back to work", he'd quickly say "okaybye" and hang up practically before you'd finished saying it.
Yeah, but even then, he's still saying goodbye...

Sci-Fi/fantasy movies that take place in an elaborately conceived setting (e.g. visually, politically, scientifically ...) where the plot/themes necessarily centers around the existence of the setting.

For example, take Elysium. I would have liked to have seen a movie that takes place in the setting but has nothing to do with the overthrow of Elysium.
Or movies that take place in The Matrix setting that aren't about the destruction/reboot of The Matrix.
Or stories in the Logan's Run universe that aren't about the overthrow of dystopian society.

Blade Runner could have easily been about tearing down the "evil" Tyrell Corporation and saving replicants. It's more powerful and credible simply because it's NOT about that. While it does anchor its themes with Tyrell I wouldn't mind BR stories that are just detective stories.

I would like to see good stories that just happen to exist in dystopian societies but remain about the characters - even without the requisite thematic undertones.

Last edited:
I've been to too many funerals, and I have seen both rain and snow, sometimes its sunny.

Raining at a funeral could be an indication the show you are watching is filmed in canada.

I think I've posted it here before, but at a military funeral, when they fire the 21 gun salute, the widow always jumps and then starts crying, as if it hadn't occured to her that gunfire had something to do with her husband in some way before then.
Been to more military funerals than I care to recall, and no widow ever jumped at the sound.

Something I'd like to see in a movie with a military funeral/memorial...

While it may not have the same intensity as "Taps" or presenting the flag to the wife, mother, etc. for the audience(maybe), Roll Call, always gets to me...I'd like to see that one done.

While it may not have the same intensity as "Taps" or presenting the flag to the wife, mother, etc. for the audience(maybe), Roll Call, always gets to me...I'd like to see that one done.
Normally that's a unit thing for the memorial for the soliders in the fallen one's unit. You wouldn't see that graveside.
I had to officiate over one of our fallen once when i was in command of a 150-soldier detatchment. The roll call gets me, too. I'll never forget hearing that kid's name repeated with utter silence in response. Then, the 21 gun salute outside and taps halfway in the door, echoing through the chapel. Puts a lump in my throat just typing about it now, so many years later. We had a couple of soldiers in the unit with the same last name, I never forgot my NCO making darned sure none of them sounded off by accident from hearing 'their' last name.

I know. I've attended a few myself so I know it isn't a gravesite thing. Just a different take or maybe perspective to see in a movie after a military character's death. I'm the same as you, felt that familiar lump in the throat typing it as well.

Maybe I'm just curious how/if an audience(non mil) would be affected differently than the standard 21 gun salute and Taps...just thinking out loud I guess lol.

Bombs and other explosive devices placed by the bad guys, that always have audible beeps corresponding to the flashing LED's on the device. Where's the bomb hidden? Shut up and listen...

Honestly i'm tired of "the perfect pretty boy falls in love with the perfect pretty girl" and another thing.. everyone's Teeth are beyond white and the actors smile and talk too much trying to show off their perfect faces. everyone's body is perfect and toned with no defects or imperfections.. get some real looking people in films for a change.

How about every teen/tween, and even some starring 20 somethings, movie where the lead character always has a fat/chubby kid as his sidekick? Not that I'm some sort of fat kid advocate but does every hero have to have a fat/chubby sidekick, can't the fat/chubby one be the main character or can't they find somebody else who is not fat/chubby or even the nerd/geek to be the sidekick? How about changing things up a little bit and having some big action hero looking person as the plucky sidekick for once, just to change things up a bit.

Honestly i'm tired of "the perfect pretty boy falls in love with the perfect pretty girl" and another thing.. everyone's Teeth are beyond white and the actors smile and talk too much trying to show off their perfect faces. everyone's body is perfect and toned with no defects or imperfections.. get some real looking people in films for a change.
you should watch Robert Rodriguez's The Faculty. It's a horror film that deserves more attention. Also cool because the geek gets the girl at the end - and, believe it or not, it's not even done as a satirical wink.

How about every teen/tween, and even some starring 20 somethings, movie where the lead character always has a fat/chubby kid as his sidekick? Not that I'm some sort of fat kid advocate but does every hero have to have a fat/chubby sidekick, can't the fat/chubby one be the main character or can't they find somebody else who is not fat/chubby or even the nerd/geek to be the sidekick? How about changing things up a little bit and having some big action hero looking person as the plucky sidekick for once, just to change things up a bit.
or the Asian geek as a sidekick?

As much as I loved the movie, "Space Cowboys" I wanna scream every time you see the people watching the STS-200 crew head out to the launch pad at Kennedy Space Center, then moments later, they all walk into Mission Control... in Houston! They're several hundred miles apart, people! Not even a TARDIS would get you there that fast.

Actually... a TARDIS could get you to Houston BEFORE the crew headed out to the launchpad :p

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back