Oblivion Jack Harper's Pistol - Build Thread (Pic Heavy!)

If anyone wants to tackle the rifle, I know where the firing rifle is. I may be able to get access to it for a day or so. Its in the Bahamas on a certain actors boat, I have a Client relationship with him/her and have seen it shoot real rounds, its a bushmaster ACR under the skin, New panels were made for it on a 3d printer and it uses std colt heat shields under the panels to allow it to fire blanks, he also has a real barrel for it but it only fires one shot thats manually loaded into the chamber, mag cut out is covered by plastic panel.

pretty sure its the firing rifle, will ask the actor next time, was shown it before the movie was released because I built a display for it and several security items for the Yacht. I'm a gunsmith by trade, but carpenter and electronics person when I need to be. Was hired as a security consultant by a friend of his/hers, and provided additional maritime security on a trip. Hired 2 days after my ETS from Army.

Last edited:
If anyone wants to tackle the rifle, I know where the firing rifle is. I may be able to get access to it for a day or so. Its in the Bahamas on a certain actors boat, I have a Client relationship with him/her and have seen it shoot real rounds, its a bushmaster ACR under the skin, New panels were made for it on a 3d printer and it uses std colt heat shields under the panels to allow it to fire blanks, he also has a real barrel for it but it only fires one shot thats manually loaded into the chamber, mag cut out is covered by plastic panel.

pretty sure its the firing rifle, will ask the actor next time, was shown it before the movie was released because I built a display for it and several security items for the Yacht. I'm a gunsmith by trade, but carpenter and electronics person when I need to be. Was hired as a security consultant by a friend of his/hers, and provided additional maritime security on a trip. Hired 2 days after my ETS from Army.

The rifle has been done. but we always Enjoy more Info Pic's anything you can give...

http://www.therpf.com/f9/oblivion-jack-harpers-rifle-build-thread-also-pic-heavy-210026/

I had no trouble at all. I needed no permit. It would have been obvious from the xray machine that it was a solid lump of plastic that looked nothing like a real gun.

Sorry mate I meant the rifle.

I don't know. If it has been sent, it either hasn't arrived in the country yet, or it has and Customs might have seized it and I haven't received the letter yet. I'm assuming either not sent yet or not arrived yet.

Did you buy a pistol?

Last edited:
Yeah I did but now they have a deluxe model available which I wouldnt mind getting. only thing is I don't need 2 pistols.

I don't know. If it has been sent, it either hasn't arrived in the country yet, or it has and Customs might have seized it and I haven't received the letter yet. I'm assuming either not sent yet or not arrived yet.

Did you buy a pistol?

Yeah I did but now they have a deluxe model available which I wouldnt mind getting. only thing is I don't need 2 pistols.

Just so there isn't any confusion- the current model was never planned from the start. It came about because the mold wore out on the solid kit and interest is not there to do a new one- especially since Shawn is full up on other projects. Since I now have the ability to print quality kits myself (which I didn't when the solid was done) I figured I could fill the gap for those few that still want pistol kits. Honestly, I didn't even think I'd be able to print something this detailed and keep close to my quality demands but the thing surprised me!

Which reminds me that I have to start finishing my own rifle... somehow!

Now back to our regular programming... ; )

Still have try to buy some of those LED lenses without paying an absolute crap-bucket in shipping costs.

I might have a couple LED lenses if your interested PeterLC. Shoot me a PM.

20140414_021725.jpg

Peter - Haven't shipped your rifle yet, sorry still casting 2nd set of 10. If they didn't give you trouble with a solid 'gun' shaped object, then they shouldn't give a box full of parts a second glance.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Peter - Haven't shipped your rifle yet, sorry still casting 2nd set of 10.

No worries. I suspected that was the case. Whenever it's done.

If they didn't give you trouble with a solid 'gun' shaped object, then they shouldn't give a box full of parts a second glance.

The pistol doesn't look like any real-world gun so they seem OK with that. Parts of the rifle definitely do but if it's labelled "plastic replica Oblivion movie prop kit" or something similar, it will make them less suspicious. If the x-ray shows shapes they don't like, they only have to open the package to see that it is plastic and hollow. Things that too closely resemble real-world guns make them nervous (like the FN-57 from the new BSG).. Most of the Customs people are sensible about passing stuff but now and then you get one that is just a pain. I've got the permit application ready just in case. My full metal Blade Runner pistol kit passed with no permit and weirdly so did a perfect cast of a Calico.

Peter are you talking about the flashlight LEDs?

No Mal, the lenses you put standard LEDs behind in a switch or panel fitting, like the ones soulenertia showed in the pic. He used a couple in his pistol. They are really cheap and come in a few colours but the only places I've found them online (like Digi-Key) want to charge a ridiculous shipping fee. I can't believe I can't find them locally. Not even seen them on Ebay.

Last edited:
Just a general question on drilling out for the LED's. Im considering drilling out from the barrel and thinking to either drill the bore out, or completely drill out the barrel and replace with aluminium tube (also to possibly hold batteries and use metal barrel as a capacitive touch switch). Im just wondering how the material is to drill and interested if anyone else has tried this.

With the solid gun, I had thought to bore out the "barrel" just enough to get AAA or AAAA sized Li-Ion battery or batteries into. Even one would run LEDs for a while. I had an idea for a power switch using that separate barrel piece and magnets as terminals. Attached one way there is no circuit but place it back on rotated slightly and appropriate magnets would complete the circuit and turn the LEDs on.

I did something similar years ago with a DS9 station model. Two of the descending "legs" on the station had terminals and wires running up them. Placed one way in the base it would connect with the battery circuit in the base and light the reactor and other things on the station. Any other position and the lights were off.

Last edited:
No worries. I suspected that was the case. Whenever it's done.

The pistol doesn't look like any real-world gun so they seem OK with that. Parts of the rifle definitely do but if it's labelled "plastic replica Oblivion movie prop kit" or something similar, it will make them less suspicious. If the x-ray shows shapes they don't like, they only have to open the package to see that it is plastic and hollow. Things that too closely resemble real-world guns make them nervous (like the FN-57 from the new BSG).. Most of the Customs people are sensible about passing stuff but now and then you get one that is just a pain. I've got the permit application ready just in case. My full metal Blade Runner pistol kit passed with no permit and weirdly so did a perfect cast of a Calico.

No Mal, the lenses you put standard LEDs behind in a switch or panel fitting, like the ones soulenertia showed in the pic. He used a couple in his pistol. They are really cheap and come in a few colours but the only places I've found them online (like Digi-Key) want to charge a ridiculous shipping fee. I can't believe I can't find them locally. Not even seen them on Ebay.
Peter - I'm sending the clear Len WITH the kit! don't sweat it. I got mine from LED supply. look them up. I don't have the link with me.

Cool about the lens kit

Peter - I'm sending the clear Len WITH the kit! don't sweat it. I got mine from LED supply. look them up. I don't have the link with me.

Good to know Mal. Was a little concerned with customs as well. Like PeterLC said if you could label it as plastic replica Oblivion movie prop kit it would help a lot with getting through.

Peter - Haven't shipped your rifle yet, sorry still casting 2nd set of 10. If they didn't give you trouble with a solid 'gun' shaped object, then they shouldn't give a box full of parts a second glance.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back