Roland's BTTF II "Blast from the Past" bag - a tutorial!!!

Roland

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
After a long time (I announced it at the beginning of last year) I finally finished my "Blast from the Past" bag replica. It's completely hand-made and consists of three very thin plastic films. The finished bag is not as thin as a usual bag from the supermarket, but it still feels like a shopping bag (maybe like those from clothing stores). I know, it's certainly far from screen accuracy, but that's the best I could do and I'm satisfied with it. :)

If there's enough interest, I would make another bag and photograph each step. Then I would show you step by step how that bag was made and which exact materials I used. Be warned: I'm a bad teacher. :lol

UPDATE: My tutorial is online. Look at post #11.

Here's my bag (photographed in sunlight in the shadow):

rolands-bttf-ii-blast-past-bag-possible-tutorial-preview01.jpg-226698d1378131154

rolands-bttf-ii-blast-past-bag-possible-tutorial-preview02.jpg-226699d1378131156

rolands-bttf-ii-blast-past-bag-possible-tutorial-preview03.jpg-226700d1378131157

rolands-bttf-ii-blast-past-bag-possible-tutorial-preview04.jpg-226701d1378131159

rolands-bttf-ii-blast-past-bag-possible-tutorial-preview05.jpg-226702d1378131161

rolands-bttf-ii-blast-past-bag-possible-tutorial-preview06.jpg-226703d1378131162

rolands-bttf-ii-blast-past-bag-possible-tutorial-preview07.jpg-226704d1378131164

Attachments

• preview01.jpg
    preview01.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 3,678
  • preview02.jpg
    preview02.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 3,913
  • preview03.jpg
    preview03.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 3,786
  • preview04.jpg
    preview04.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 3,823
  • preview05.jpg
    preview05.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 6,670
  • preview06.jpg
    preview06.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 3,678
  • preview07.jpg
    preview07.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 3,698
Last edited:
Re: Roland's BTTF II "Blast from the Past" bag - a possible tutorial

It looks good to me! How much would it cost to put one together, and how easy is it to obtain the materials?

Ok.... So want!!!! Ship it to.... :lol

I would so be into a tutorial or run. Great job, as usual :)

Roland's done it again, I think there should be a run of these:thumbsup I'm in for 1:D

It looks good to me! How much would it cost to put one together, and how easy is it to obtain the materials?

I can't speak for Australia, but in Germany I found all materials in my local stores. Except for the waterslide decals on which I printed the logos. Those decals are from eBay. It's not cheap. You need the following materials (in brackets the total costs and the costs per bag):

- the lowest layer is a self-adhesive matte silver film
(Euro 12.99 total, sufficient for 3 bags, Euro 4.33 per bag)

- the second layer is a very(!) thin but strong transparent and iridescent/opalescent film
(Euro 3.10 total, sufficient for 4 bags, Euro 0.78 per bag)

- the third layer is a printed and trimmed waterslide decal for the logo
(Euro 13.27 for 5 decal sheets in US-Letter size, sufficient for 5 bags, Euro 2.65 per bag)

- the top layer is a thin self-adhesive transparent film, that kind of films you use to cover school books
(Euro 1.00 total, sufficient for 1 bag, Euro 1.00 per bag)

That's Euro 30.36 (about $40) total and Euro 8.76 (about $11.50) per bag. I messed up a lot of materials when I made my first tests, so better buy more materials than you actually need. ;)

That's what I paid. Maybe you are able to find all materials much cheaper.

Additionally you need a laser printer, a laminator and one sheet of self-adhesive laminating film (that's for that black strip inside - of course you can take a simple black cardboard as well)

Ok.... So want!!!! Ship it to.... :lol

I would so be into a tutorial or run. Great job, as usual :)

Looks Great as usual Roland! Nice work.

Roland's done it again, I think there should be a run of these:thumbsup I'm in for 1:D

A run? Hooh, I don't know. I don't want to ruin Daniel's sales. And those bags need a lot of time. A few hours for each bag. So it wouldn't be cheap - not under $50 plus shipping and it's still not 100 % screen accurate.

Last edited:

Bump to the future! :D

Make the Pizza Hut baaaags. I didn't succeed in making them *sigh*

Oh, i love it. Would love to see a tutorial!

Now here my tutorial. I'll do my best, but since I never made a tutorial before and my english is not the best, please tell me if you don't understand anything.

Part 1 - buy the material
The lowest layer of the bag is a self-adhesive matte silver film. The roll must be more than 15 inches wide (the height of the bag).

For german users: I bought this roll at "Toom Baumarkt" for Euro 12.99. One roll is sufficient for 3 bags, so that's Euro 4.33 per bag.
part1_01.jpg
part1_02.jpg
part1_03.jpg
Please note: it's very important that both sides of the film have a silver surface, especially the adhesive side. I had found silver films which were just white on the adhesive side. Those films are useless for our bags.
part1_04.jpg
The second layer of the bag is a very(!) thin but strong transparent and iridescent/opalescent film. The roll must be more than 15 inches wide (the height of the bag). This film gives the bag its shimmering color effect.

For german users: I bought this roll at "Karstadt" for Euro 3.10. One roll is sufficient for 4 bags, so that's Euro 0.78 per bag.
part1_05.jpg
part1_06.jpg
The top layer of the bag is a thin self-adhesive transparent film, that kind of films you use to cover school books. The roll must contain more than 30 inches of the film (the double height of the bag) and must be more than 9 inches wide (the width of the bag).

For german users: I bought this roll at "TEDi" for Euro 1.00. One roll is sufficient for just 1 bag.
part1_07.jpg
part1_08.jpg
I had no problems with those three films I bought, but I had tested other films before and some of them were really of poor quality. If you should buy another films than me, do some tests before to see if they are appropriable for "wet applying". Look what could happen if you have bad materials. ;)
part1_09.jpg
part1_10.jpg

Part 2 - print the sheets with a laser printer
You need:

- 3 large paper sheets in US-Tabloid or A3 size
- 1 waterslide decal in US-Letter or A4 size
- 1 normal paper sheet in US-Letter or A4 size
- 1 self-adhesive laminating film, suitable for US-Letter or A4

Print this PDF file (with a mirrored logo on the bag) on the 3 large paper sheets:
- PDF for US-Tabloid
- PDF for A3

Print this PDF file (with two logos) on the waterslide decal:
- PDF for US-Letter
- PDF for A4

Print this PDF (with two black strips) double-sided on the normal paper sheet and laminate that sheet after printing:
- PDF for US-Letter
- PDF for A4

Important: Use a laser printer for all prints, not an inkjet!
part2_01.jpg
Trim the two logos of the waterslide decals very close to the edges. Use very fine scissors (like nail scissors) for that.
part2_02.jpg
Trim the two black strips with scissors or (even better) with a cutting machine.
part2_03.jpg
part2_04.jpg
Trim the 3 paper sheets with the mirrored logo. Just the edges, not the hole.
part2_05.jpg

Part 3 - build your bag
Trim the silver film to exactly 18 inches in width (the height must be more than 15 inches). That's the double width of the bag. It's important that you cut very precisely!
part3_01.jpg
Use a long metal ruler and an utility knife for cutting the films.
part3_02.jpg
Fold the silver film exactly in the middle of the 18 inches side, so that you get the end width of the bag (9 inches). The adhesive side with the carrying paper must be outside!
part3_03.jpg
part3_04.jpg
Roll out the iridescent film ...
part3_05.jpg
... and cut out more than 18 inches (the double width of the bag).
part3_06.jpg
part3_07.jpg
Fold it in the middle.
part3_08.jpg
Remove the carrying paper of the first half of the silver film.
part3_09.jpg
part3_10.jpg
Spread a lot of dish water on the adhesive side of the first half of silver film. Make sure that it's no longer adhesive at any point.
part3_11.jpg
Do the same on the lower half of the iridescent film.
part3_12.jpg
Apply the (at the moment not) adhesive side of the silver film on the iridescent film.
part3_13.jpg
The edge of the silver film must be applied exactly on the centerfold of the iridescent film.
part3_14.jpg
Remove the rest of the carrying paper.
part3_15.jpg
Spread dish water on the adhesive side of the second half of silver film. Make sure that it's no longer adhesive at any point.
part3_16.jpg
Do the same on the upper half of the iridescent film.
part3_17.jpg
Switch the upper half of the iridescent film and apply it on the silver film.
part3_18.jpg
Press out the water bubbles, ...
part3_19.jpg
... turn it to the back side
part3_20.jpg
... and do the same again.
part3_21.jpg
Do it again and again until you're sure that there's no more bubble. Be very careful, because the iridescent film is very, very thin.
part3_22.jpg
Wipe off the water with a paper towel.
part3_23.jpg
Stick two of the three large paper sheets (with the mirrored logo) on your table. Be very precisely!
part3_24.jpg
Trim one edge of the bag. Make sure that the angle is 90 degrees.
part3_25.jpg
Now trim the self-adhesive transparent film to a size of more than 9 x 30 inches.
part3_26.jpg
part3_27.jpg
Fold the film in the middle of the more than 30 inches side. The film must be outside and the carrying paper inside, when you are folding it.
part3_28.jpg
Remove the carrying paper and attach the edges of the film on the table with the adhesive side on top. Make sure that the folding line of the film is exactly over the dividing line between the two paper sheets below.
part3_29.jpg
Spread dish water on the right logo.
part3_30.jpg
Put the first waterslide decal with the printed side down exactly over the mirrored logo below.
part3_31.jpg
Spread a lot of dish water on the waterslide decal.
part3_32.jpg
Wait 30-45 seconds and then remove (absolutely careful!) the carrying paper of the waterslide decal.
part3_33.jpg
Spread dish water on the surface of the bag.
part3_34.jpg
Spread dish water on the right half of the transparent film. Make sure that it's no longer adhesive at any point.
part3_35.jpg
Apply the bag precisely on the right half of the transparent film. The cut edge of the bag must be in line with the folding line of the transparent film below.
part3_36.jpg
Now we repeat the same procedure with the second waterslide decal on the left half of the transparent film.
part3_37.jpg
part3_38.jpg
part3_39.jpg
Spread dish water on the bag and on the left half of the transparent film. Make sure that the transparent film is no longer adhesive at any point.
part3_40.jpg
Switch the left half of the transparent film and apply it on the bag.
part3_41.jpg
Press out all water bubbles.
part3_42.jpg
Remove the two paper sheets from your table.
part3_43.jpg
Press out all water bubbles from both sides of the bag. Do it until you're sure that there's no more bubble.
part3_44.jpg
Wipe off the water with a paper towel.
part3_45.jpg
Trim the top edge of the bag to a height of 15 inches. Make sure that the angle is 90 degrees.
part3_46.jpg
Wipe off the water from the inside of the bag with a paper towel.
part3_47.jpg
Now the moment has come where you must be most carefully. Cut away the overhanging film on the left and right side of the bag. If you're not careful it could happen that you cut into the wrong film and then you have holes in the edges.
part3_48.jpg
part3_49.jpg
Straighten the edges of the bag with the handle side of your scissors. Put a paper sheet between scissors and bag to avoid damaging the bag.
part3_50.jpg
The bag is almost finished.
part3_51.jpg
part3_52.jpg
Put the third paper sheet with the mirrored logo exactly over the bag.
part3_53.jpg
Use a stapler to attach the three corners of the hole to the bag.
part3_54.jpg
Cut the three straight edges of the hole with your utility knife, ...
part3_55.jpg
... cut away the not required paper ...
part3_56.jpg
... and cut the three corners of the hole with scissors.
part3_57.jpg
Last step: the two laminated black strips.
part3_58.jpg
Remove one inch of the carrying paper.
part3_59.jpg
Position the first strip accurate on the top inside of the bag ...
part3_60.jpg
press it down with your one hand and remove the rest of the carrying paper with your other hand.
part3_61.jpg
Do the same with the other side of the bag.
part3_62.jpg
Your bag is finished! Don't wonder if the colors of the bag look bad on the first few days. There's still dish water between the films which has to dry. Wait a week and you will see: the bag looks better from day to day.
part3_63.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Roland's BTTF II "Blast from the Past" bag - a tutorial!!!

Great Job, Very cool prop. Where did you get the graphic?
-p

I drew it myself. You can download it in my tutorial (look at the PDF links in part 2 of the tutorial). Or here: http://www.therpf.com/f40/back-future-67267/index30.html#post2090506

- - - Updated - - -

I don't really stalk people ...

Actually? It seems I know more about you than you about me. "Hey Hey Mr. Computer ... you make me so much happier ... every night and waking hour." :D

Re: Roland's BTTF II "Blast from the Past" bag - a tutorial!!!

Actually? It seems I know more about you than you about me. "Hey Hey Mr. Computer ... you make me so much happier ... every night and waking hour." :D

OMG. Errr I was like 16 XD I'm 23 now xD

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back