ip16.jpg

qa68.jpg

0lh1.jpg

abgr.jpg

Attachments

• tkbb.jpg
    tkbb.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 143
Thats just looking like the original solid hull NiceN kit to me, a very generic Red/Gold crossbreed.....or am i way off? Means nothing as it could purely be a mock up placeholder for the announcement? Shame if it turns out that way, as a full on designated Gold replica would have been super!

lee

Thats just looking like the original solid hull NiceN kit to me, a very generic Red/Gold crossbreed.....or am i way off? Means nothing as it could purely be a mock up placeholder for the announcement? Shame if it turns out that way, as a full on designated Gold replica would have been super!

lee

Yes I was thinking exactly the same. Looks almost exactly like the Y I´ve got sitting at home... It even has the same color (primer...)!

I'm not sure what's going on with that... If I had to guess it was a mock-up. It's missing and or has too many incorrect details. I spoke with John the other day but we didn't discuss it. John knows what the details are so I wouldn't sweat it. I'm sure the final product will be killer/a tie killer. ;)

Yeah i agree Jamie, a mock up stand in as maybe some kind of placeholder of what is to come, and John has the Gold Leader shizzle down, so it would be awesome to see that bird happen.

lee

Looking at Jasons pics, i still think Jamie's pattern has a closer sidewall curve and profile, but, thats only from that one pic, so, hard to say, scribe lines are deeper Steve it seems, thanks for the share J!

Steve, been meaning you shout you, not sure, what your Y is like in the armature cockpit dept in your climate, but the heatwave were having here made my armature warp just a tad with the cockpit module resting on it, only by maybe half an inch, but, enough to make me worry about it.
Ive manipulated it back, but ill be posting a fix using ABS tubing in my thread real soon, id rather fix it properly now that have it happen with the cockpit bonded, that would cause a few unhappy tears. Not a big worry at all though, its a superb kit, need to pull my finger out now lol, anyhow, back to the eFX :)

lee

Eh up there, Lee! Yeah, the hot climes y neck horror rears its head again... After last summer here in Athens I have a summer regime for the kit: take the head off at the start of June and put it on again come October. That's my temporary fix. But I've been looking into a proper solution - some bracing under the resin half-cylinder. Some kind of long brass block that would be glued/epoxied to, and be absolutely flush with, the aluminium. Figured that the head would not be able to sink the brass if the rear wall of that brass is flush with the aluminium wall. But it's only going to work if the fit is tight as a glove. Any gap between the brass and aluminium and that head gonna sink, man... Apart from that I have no ideas. So, looking forward to seeing your fix...

Jason, thanks greatly for the share!('Redhead' - nice one, centurion, like it, like it.)The kit head is a damn fine stab at matching a horrendously subtle piece of sculpture. The kit admirably nails almost every relationship. There is one small divergence, though. And I post this in a spirit of research, not as a gripe against the kit, which is a MASTERPIECE. This small anomaly occurs in the ortho profile view in the relationship between the baseline of the canopy and the top line of the side wall. In the original, these two lines converge without any deviation as they move to the bows. In the kit, there's a break in the convergence. It occurs around the front of the canopy. The two lines run parallel for the front window pane section. In the original, in these photos here, they never run parallel but are always getting closer to each other. The kit thus has to compensate for this loss of convergence by a sudden drop-off after the canopy.

This seems to be caused by the kit canopy having a flatter base than the original, which appears more curved. It's not a big deal, though - it's surely only out by about 1 mm and can only be seen in the cruel light of the hard ortho profile view.

New EFX pics look stunning btw... although in the 3rd pic someone put the engines on wrong!

Last edited:
Eh up there, Lee! Yeah, the hot climes y neck horror rears its head again... After last summer here in Athens I have a summer regime for the kit: take the head off at the start of June and put it on again come October. That's my temporary fix. But I've been looking into a proper solution - some bracing under the resin half-cylinder. Some kind of long brass block that would be glued/epoxied to, and be absolutely flush with, the aluminium. Figured that the head would not be able to sink the brass if the rear wall of that brass is flush with the aluminium wall. But it's only going to work if the fit is tight as a glove. Any gap between the brass and aluminium and that head gonna sink, man... Apart from that I have no ideas. So, looking forward to seeing your fix...

Steve me old mucka lol, my fix is in my thread, i used the 19mm ABS tube, which is slightly smaller in diameter than the alloy bar but, you have to have a flat area there to clear the lower cockpit plate, so i cut away a slot in the underside of the tube, making it slip tightly over the alloy, and giving me the flat area to nestle inside, worked like a charm mate, so its an idea for you and others, id not trust it to the resin protrusion alone at all TBH.

bests.......lee

eFx and MR respectively used to use an existing model as a stand in to gage interest. Not sure if that was done here or not. Just a theory.

Steve me old mucka lol, my fix is in my thread, i used the 19mm ABS tube, which is slightly smaller in diameter than the alloy bar but, you have to have a flat area there to clear the lower cockpit plate, so i cut away a slot in the underside of the tube, making it slip tightly over the alloy, and giving me the flat area to nestle inside, worked like a charm mate, so its an idea for you and others, id not trust it to the resin protrusion alone at all TBH.

bests.......lee

Off go I to your thread!

Yeah i agree Jamie, a mock up stand in as maybe some kind of placeholder of what is to come, and John has the Gold Leader shizzle down, so it would be awesome to see that bird happen.

lee

John and I spoke again tonight. The Y in question was indeed a placeholder. The final Y will be correct.

Now back to work...

The Y does look very nice, though I am very interested in the SD though I am a little scared to find out how much it will cost, If the one shown is how far along they are with it guess it won't be out for a while, least I get some saving time :)

Given the length and width of the ISD I imagine it will be in several parts. We'll see...

As far as how much will it cost? That will be up to EFX. The part submitted will be returned to EFX once the model is finished. At three feet wide and four feet long... It's big... Way big, and with lighted engines,etc... It's exciting!! Enjoy!

The Y does look very nice, though I am very interested in the SD though I am a little scared to find out how much it will cost, If the one shown is how far along they are with it guess it won't be out for a while, least I get some saving time :)

I have a MR Y-Wing and i'm quite happy with it. What do yo guys think of it? How do you think the efx will be better? I'm not a real expert on how close these models are to the actual movie models, and would like an opinion...
Probably, given the prices we are seeing for the QMX Enterprise 2009 , my guess the SD will cost north of 3000 bucks, but, hey, it'd be a great add to my humble collection ;)

Think the eFX is the same model??? Just an idealised Y wing......though the MR does suffer from a paint job befitting a Hasbro toy sadly, maybe the eFX paint master will be better?

lee

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back