Disney wants more 'Star Wars' in its theme parks

Great video, can't wait to go see it in person for myself, pity that it's probably going to be super crowded inside. Good thing I have an AP so I can make multiple trips to really take it in.

Some of those souvenirs are pretty cool, I really like the Chewy stein and the TIE popcorn bucket and I really like the custom phone cases, too bad they probably won't have any for my Galaxy.

Neat video. Lots of Sideshow in that store!

Was it just me or the lighting, but did those props from the OT look off? THe coloring on the Slave 1 and Boba Fett looked wrong. A lot of the props just looked like toys to me. I am sure it was the lighting.

Not just Sideshow, but also a couple Hot Toys and the Anovos costumes, the latter of which I assume are available for pre-order there. Pretty neat assortment for adult collectors, guess they want to differentiate that gift shop from the one next to Star Tours which is geared more for kids.

Btw does anyone know if those scaled models in the exhibit are licensed replicas (i.e. eFX) or screen used models?

Last edited:
Wow what a cool Exhibit! wish I could have made it for the opening.

Thanks for the link Willie

Was it just me or the lighting said:
I beg to disagree hdtheater, I think the color of the Slave-1 is spot on, just he quality of the video is not so good.

Here are some other Youtube previews:
-the first has some nice close-ups of some of the miniatures:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_66CEX3eb10

-This one is better quality and runs thru the Models, Props & Costumes really quick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuV_g29j9Yk

And there seems to be several Studio Scale Size Ships unless I miss my guess that's the 6 footer Blockade Runner, that X-1 TIE and TIE-Interceptor are definitely 1/24 scale with 5-1/4 inch Balls. If they aren't original screen used filming miniatures , then they are damn good facsimiles!
Looks like a lot of work went into this exhibit....
They must of had "Top men working on it."
... "Top Men!"

star-wars-launch-bay-slice.jpg

star-wars-launch-bay-slice.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow... Disneyland knows how to get stuff done! LOVE everything they have there that i can see in the video. Loving the Sideshow, Hot Toys and Anovos rep, too!

On the subject of Season of the Force, here's another video showing the inside the Star Wars Launch Bay along with some of the other things going on in Tomorrowland. As a bit of a warning, there is a potential spoiler in this video from inside the Star Wars Launch Bay dealing with a certain someone's lightsaber so be warned. For those of you wanting to avoid this potential spoiler here are some of the highlights, in addition to being able to meet Vader & Chewbaca, Boba Fett also puts in an appearance in the cantina area and he actually speaks, no miming and gesturing like Mickey & friends. Outside there's BB8 shaped sippers and First Order TIE fighter popcorn buckets, and the really cool thing I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere, special custom Star Wars/Star Tours themed nametags with a special design exclusive to Annual Pass holders.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is something seriously wrong with the star destroyer. It looks terrible.
It almost looks like Disney had their people do some restoration work on it to make it more presentable for the display, and they just painted the whole thing the same color when they were done.

It almost looks like Disney had their people do some restoration work on it to make it more presentable for the display, and they just painted the whole thing the same color when they were done.

Its like what they did to all the droids at Star Tours.

I was at WDW on Wednesday and while there was a huge Star Wars presence throughout the Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios - I am green with envy over what I am seeing over in the California side of things.

I can only hope that when Star Wars Land is finally finished that my now 11 year-old nephew will still want to go with his dear, aging uncle.

I saw on one of my Facebook feeds that the Season of the Froce is no longer going to WDW, just Disneyland. Instead Star Wars Symphony in the Skies will be a nightly show at Hollywood Studios.

There is something seriously wrong with the star destroyer. It looks terrible.

What exactly is wrong with the Star destroyer?
I've seen the original "4+" footer (made for ANH) several times; this looks nearly identical except it does not have the large camera mount hardware coming out of the side of the hull.
FYI , Zombie_61 the original miniature was painted all the same color. The subtle shading and multi-color people attribute too the paint job --all came from how they light and filmed the miniature back in 76-77

It does make me a bit sad, that this is in the old space that housed the "Carousel of Progress" and "America Sings" :cry
They were great exhibits and good family entertainment.
I grew up in El Segundo, Marina Del Rey so, had been to the Park many times over the years (40 +)
It would be quite education for young people born in this century to saw how the typical home has changed in the last 100 years; too bad they couldn't add a current home of today, ( the then contemporary home of 1973 is now "historic" :lol --but you'd need to change the diameter of the building, for the way the Carousel worked
The animatronics would still hold up to scrutiniy today
I last visited there in 2008, I forget what they called it... but what ever they did with the exhibit space was horrible! :sleep
I go to trade shows like E3,Siggraph and CES every year - It was like attending one of those.. the whole thing was a big sales pitch to: "buy our stuff"

Disney has had trouble with Tomorrow Land for over 10 years now ...it's been more like "So Five minutes ago Land" the last big over-haul was just a over-hyped paint-job , -literally.
I have to say Launchbay is a big improvement.
I wish it was a bit more like the "making of"... and "behind the scenes" of the movies, much like the traveling exhibit. but then I''ve always loved hear how things are made especially Prop & SFX stuff.
guess I'm in the minority. :facepalm

Last edited:
It does make me a bit sad, that this is in the old space that housed the "Carousel of Progress" and "America Sings" :cry
They were great exhibits and good family entertainment.
I grew up in El Segundo, Marina Del Rey so, had been to the Park many times over the years (40 +)
It would be quite education for young people born in this century to saw how the typical home has changed in the last 100 years; too bad they couldn't add a current home of today, ( the then contemporary home of 1973 is now "historic" :lol --but you'd need to change the diameter of the building, for the way the Carousel worked
The animatronics would still hold up to scrutiniy today

That building hasn't been Carousel of Progress or America Sings in ages, it was last Innoventions and went through a few minor changes during its time as that. In the end it was sort of like the old House of Tomorrow attraction from back in the parks earliest days. It wasn't too bad back before they closed it to make it into Star War Launch Bay and Superhero HQ, they had a nice little section on the first floor showcasing various new and/or upcoming house tech, and upstairs they had an area showing off the XBox One and an area for an Iron Man exhibit where you could virtually don a suit of Iron Man's armor and then there was an exhibit of some Thor props which led to a meet and greet with Thor.

FYI , Zombie_61 the original miniature was painted all the same color. The subtle shading and multi-color people attribute too the paint job --all came from how they light and filmed the miniature back in 76-77
Was it? I saw one at a Star Wars prop/costume display here in Los Angeles several years ago, and it definitely had some shading/highlighting paint work on the sidewalls. Of course, it's always possible that the one I saw was "restored" for the exhibit and that the extra paint work was just to "jazz it up" a bit.

The model was finished on the starboard side and used in ESB, so it's possible shading was added then. But yes, there have been repaints/restorations of many models for exhibits, and that could have been one of them.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back