Ralph McQuarrie Millennium Falcon

Great work on the model, I love Ralph's art, I have his Star Wars Portfolio images framed in my home theater. Looking forward to more of this project.

Absolutely love this! I always thought that the initial designs of Star Wars are way better than the one we saw in screen (not that they are bad, but the early designs have something special), and this is no exception... Awesome, its beautiful!

Thanks very much for the comments everyone.......well the contest is over & results are out.....I got 3rd place in sci-fi for her:)
.....and 3rd place for best in show (out of 99 entrants):$
......Heres my entry photos:

top2.jpg

engines.jpg

top-2.jpg

side3.jpg

Side2.jpg

You've probably notice that she isn't finished, so I've continued working.....undoing & redoing the work that I'd rushed
The pannelling on the underside is almost done:
Pannelled.jpg

newpannelling2.jpg

The far wall & docking ring are now done:
newwall.jpg

Testing blast-marks (only Imperial Stormtroopers could be so precise):
BlastPoint2.jpg

Blastpoint.jpg

Anyhow.....still working, gotta get this bird done, so that I can get back to the MPC!
John

Wow! Cograts Mr J.! I think they gave the first prize to the wrong person!
The last photo with the rusty paint job took me away! i would love to see all the falcon with that effect.!
Great job !

-Angel

Thanks Angel, theres gonna be more constuction destruction on the lower hull......should be putting some more paint on her soon

John

you have definitely captured the look and feel of the sketches............ a very well done.

i think ralph would have approved,

-z

Thanks very much for the comments everyone.......well the contest is over & results are out.....I got 3rd place in sci-fi for her:)
.....and 3rd place for best in show (out of 99 entrants):$
......Heres my entry photos:

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k637/jaiteastu/111/RMcQ Falcon/Blastpoint.jpg

Anyhow.....still working, gotta get this bird done, so that I can get back to the MPC!
John

this shot right here, that's just incredible! i'm thinking...hot soldering iron? the weathering/burn marks are insane :O

you have definitely captured the look and feel of the sketches............ a very well done.

i think ralph would have approved,

-z

Thanks Zorg, it would be cool if we'd see this design somewhere in future SW films or cartoons

this shot right here, that's just incredible! i'm thinking...hot soldering iron? the weathering/burn marks are insane :O
Thanks very much curleyhairedboy, that was just different sizes of drill bits, I've done more of the same underneath (not painted yet), you can just about see it near the cockpit:

Ski1.jpg

Ski2.jpg

Ski3.jpg

Ramp (down version) held in place with a magnet:
RampDown.jpg

RampDown2.jpg

Ramp closed with replacement part, again held with a magnet:
Rampup.jpg

The landing gear is removable .......magnet again
Skioff.jpg

DoorsClosed.jpg

ReplacementParts.jpg

Thanks for looking
John

Thanks very much for the comments guys, I'm almost finished.....not much more to do!

I've made a closed door for the main gears:
doorsclosed.jpg

doorsclosed2.jpg

doorsclosedpart.jpg

& some more scarring:
blasts.jpg

Thanks for looking
John

Looks great!

Vaderios: take a look a few pages back on this thread. There was a bunch of talk about the extensions (the short story is that yes they appeared in the paintings, and even in some early blueprints)

Amazing, but where did you get the reference for that? Are these extentions appear in the paintings?

-Angel

Yeah Angel, SteveStarkiller pointed them out to me (they've turned out slightly different though):
.....on RMQ's painting:
406034535.jpg

& JJ's drawings:
joe-johnston-2.jpg

bright.jpg

Lemme know what you think
J

EDIT: thanks Steve!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back