Another BTTF Pepsi Perfect Build Thread. (Update 29/01/2017)

Re: Another BTTF Pepsi Perfect Build Thread.

You are going to run into a slight wrinkle with printed labels for the Pepsi Perfect - literally.

The shape of the bottle and the location of the decal will cause the decal to compress at the bottom. On a printed label this will cause the vinyl to wrinkle up. When you first apply it, you can flatten it all out and it looks fine, but in a short while it will start to bubble/peel again where it should be compressed.

For the screen used bottles, they use cut vinyl and applied the three colors seperately. The silver backing was applied first and a "pie slice" was taken out of the bottom of the silver part so it would fit correctly without the wrinkly. The red and blue were then applied over the silver.

You can see the cut in the silver backing on my previously posted rubbing. Here is a pic of the production logo as well - look near the bottom.

View attachment 146034

Hope this helps.

Gary

a hairdryer will sort out any wrinkles easily :)

I thought the same about using heat, however I have also noticed that my labels are a little big, right now they are around 2.5 inches in diameter, i think I need to knock it down to around 1.8 to get the correct size.

So after a while of life getting in the way I have finally completed my lathe, I think it turned out really well.
8546660249_7b2cbbf050_z.jpg

Is it worth painting in a clear coat before moulding?

Re: Another BTTF Pepsi Perfect Build Thread. (NEW PIC PAGE 3)

Very nice. I can yell you that on my Slice you could still see much of the grain beneath the paint. My Pepsi Perfect also had visible grain in clear plastic.

-Gary

might be worth hitting it with a few layers of filler primer spray and some wet sanding hopefully that should cover up any remaining grain

Hi guys,

Yeah I can see some "pitting" in the wood in certain places which I'm gonna hit with a little bondo and wet and dry and hope that sorts most of it out. After that I'm thinking about a few layers of primer followed by a couple of clear coat.

Is it possible for clear coat to react with silicone during the molding process? Also I just found out I can have these lathed out for cheap meaning I could offer plain wooden bottles out to the community for around 18 usd a pop if interest is enough.

Anyway I'll try and take some better photos tomorrow and post them up!

Dan.

That is an awesome price for a wood blank. Making a straw mechanism for a wood bottle wouldn't be too terribly hard either. For the Diet Pepsi and Slice this would be awesome.

-Gary

Guys, quick question...

I have sprayed a light layer of paint over the wooden bottle so I can see the wood grain a lot better then in its natural state. My question is should I use bondo to cover this or would I be OK using wood glue?

Both would be sanded down after I'm just wondering which would be easier to use and/or give better results?

Thanks Guys and Girls.

Dan.

This picture really shows the wood grain after painting. Ignore the color, it was just used to show up where I need to fill and sand.

8554264464_8c10a717c5_z.jpg

i would think bondo would be allot easier to level out and sand the glue will cause all sorts of headaches spots peeling etc

Is it possible for clear coat to react with silicone during the molding process?

It's possible, depending on the silicone you're using and what's in the clear.

Tin cure, shouldn't be an issue. Platinum, it can be, depending on what's in the clear. I've had issues with Rustoleum (filler primer), seen others have the same issues with Rustoleum paint as well.

I'd just use some tin cure if you're using a bunch of different products on there, just to be safe. Besides, something that simple wouldn't need a complicated mold and there's not undercuts, so it doesn't need to be that tough.

The paint should be metallic red I think xD try a polycarbonate paint maybe? Not sure if it will match with wood but it gives some good effects :p

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm gonna try and get hold of some bondo if I can find any in this country then I'll have a look around for the tin cure.

I'm wondering if I should go the whole way and do the straws or just make a solid bottle, as this is my first prop build and all.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm gonna try and get hold of some bondo if I can find any in this country then I'll have a look around for the tin cure.

I'm wondering if I should go the whole way and do the straws or just make a solid bottle, as this is my first prop build and all.

For the slice bottle?

Well you could just make a tiny bit of the straw when you open it, don't know if I'm clear, but would be a bit silly to make it empty from the inside!
Would be too much work for nothing XD! Just make 2 holes and insert a tiny bit of straw ^^ (that you would glue to the top of the "cap" I guess ^^

Not sure if I'm making sense...

But something like this ^^

pepsifliptopcrisp.jpg

What I actually meant is to do a version of the bottle without any flip-top at all, just a solid one piece bottle. I will probably end up doing the flip-top though because I know I wont be happy and end up going back to it anyway.

If it was a hollow bottle any idea of how much liquid it would hold?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back