Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars: Rogue One

Makes sense...JW isn't going to be around forever, so might as well keep him on the episodic movies for as long as he's willing and able and use other composers for everything else.

Or whoever did the Ewok Adventure movies...

Actually, I thought the music for Dark Forces & TIE Fighter were great, even though they were just MIDI.

As for this guy, he adapted the Williams music for Harry Potter in new and interesting ways. I enjoyed the scores from the last few of those movies.

First in terms of a Star Wars movie being composed by someone other than John Williams? I think Kevin Kiner has Alexandre Desplat beat with Clone Wars (2008).

That's a very fine hair to split... The decision was made pretty late into pre-production to release those two arcs (not even the first episodes produced) theatrically. Kind of like the theatrical release of the original three-part Battlestar Galactica pilot recut slightly as a two-hour theatrical film. Does it still count as a "film score" if it's part of a TV series released in theaters?

--Jonah

That's a very fine hair to split... The decision was made pretty late into pre-production to release those two arcs (not even the first episodes produced) theatrically. Kind of like the theatrical release of the original three-part Battlestar Galactica pilot recut slightly as a two-hour theatrical film. Does it still count as a "film score" if it's part of a TV series released in theaters?

--Jonah

If it's rated as a movie by the MPAA, released as a movie theatrically and reviewed by movie critics, than yes. It's a freaking movie.

If it's rated as a movie by the MPAA, released as a movie theatrically and reviewed by movie critics, than yes. It's a freaking movie.

Good point. For that matter, it's even sold on its own rather than as part of the first season. On the flip side, it has all the same production crew -- including the composer -- as the rest of the TV series. Maybe consider it a precedent-setter for the non-Episodic Star Wars stuff not having JW compose (since I don't know if the Ewok TV movies are included in the "all films and TV series are canon" pronouncement from the Story Group).

--Jonah

I think there just needs to be a dedicated section like this: Entertainment and Movie Talk >Star Wars

We're starting to get pretty Star Wars heavy with Disney on board now and might declutter the rest of the films being discussed. That way I can just go to the Star Wars film discussion forum instead ;)

First in terms of a Star Wars movie being composed by someone other than John Williams? I think Kevin Kiner has Alexandre Desplat beat with Clone Wars (2008).

Pedantic.

And to be even more pedantic, that score, and all the CW scores which I thought were terrific, were made for TV, it was a late decision to put 3 episodes together to do the theatrical release. So this would be the first film score written as a film score for SW not produced by JW. But I think everyone understood what I was saying.

Last edited:

Actually, I thought the music for Dark Forces & TIE Fighter were great, even though they were just MIDI.

As for this guy, he adapted the Williams music for Harry Potter in new and interesting ways. I enjoyed the scores from the last few of those movies.

One of the more interesting instances of Star Wars music was the "Shadows of the Empire" phase during the time when the Special Editions were released. It was a book, had an audio book, a video game, an action figure line and even it's own soundtrack!

One of the unfortunate downsides to the Star Wars games, especially when MIDIs weren't being used anymore was the constant re-use of John Williams' music from the actual movies. If you look at games like Rebel Assault, the editing is so choppy that the start of a level will just abruptly start JW's score at certain points without fade-ins or dissolves. It felt like the game skipped a few minutes.

I was going to say the same thing. I have the DF music on my mp3 player now. Jeremy Soule also did a great job on Bounty Hunter as well. I think it would be hard to screw up unless they really tried.

I was going to say the same thing. I have the DF music on my mp3 player now. Jeremy Soule also did a great job on Bounty Hunter as well. I think it would be hard to screw up unless they really tried.

Bounty Hunter was one of those rare cases where the music that was taken from the films was music that wasn't available for purchase. When you enter a battle as Jango, this fast beating music plays that is lifted from the Dooku vs. duel wielding Anakin lightsaber duel from Attack of the Clones ("I am a slow learner"). I'm sure going to miss having mostly completed John Williams scores commercially available.

Also, if you like the music from Dark Forces, track down the Mac version. The music is so much better sounding.

The "soundtrack without a movie" for Shadows of the Empire came reasonably close to the right style.

The "soundtrack without a movie" for Shadows of the Empire came reasonably close to the right style.

I remember that it happened, though I can't remember the music. I think my friend bought the soundtrack. What I remember more is that I was wholly unimpressed by SOTE.

Making SW podcast reported that this film takes place post Ep. 7 but I can't find anything to confirm that. They also have posted what they say is a description of the concept art shown during Iger's presentation. It would make sense financially to set this film in the current era as they have already constructed the physical and digital ship models. It also jibes with Iger's intention to bring SW themed attractions to the parks that connect to the films coming out.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back