Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars: Rogue One

Sorry if this has been covered but can I get a quick catch up here? So EP7 is nothing to do with the EU that I and soooo many others love correct? Now we are told the rogue one will be something completely new? Im confused and saddened equally.

Correct, but some elements of Ep7 could potentially be pulled from the EU.

Missile Boats! Missile Boats! Missile Boats!

MissileBoat_zpsjz9jtz6g.jpg

missileboat2_zpseam6ctwl.jpg

Regarding Rogue One. I've been following the expanded universe since 1991 when I found the first book on the book shelf and was shocked. I've read every book since minus the scholastic ones, made for kid ones, and the three horror novels put out. a nd right now I'm reading what seems to be the last of the 'legacy' line, Crucible.

The Expanded universe is hit or miss. I'd say a bout 50% of it is good. alot of the new republic stuff can be skipped. The Terror of Kevin J Anderson and his super weapon fetish. etc. but lots of it feels like star wars. Mostly Timothy Zahn and Michael Reaves written books.

The thing I'm most pissed about in this new timeline is the seeming elimination of Han and Lea's marriage, and the birth of their three kids, Anakin, Jacen and Jaina. It would have been a perfect way to create a new 'young' generation of the current hero's if you have the older characters and younger characters mix together. including luke's son , Ben. and others like Tahiri, Allana, Jag, etc. But now all that history that worked is gone. and it would have been fun to see characters like Kyle on screen.

I just hope JJ does it right and doesn't screw it up like he did star trek. I am both excited and dreading this new movie.

Last edited:

Sorry if this has been covered but can I get a quick catch up here? So EP7 is nothing to do with the EU that I and soooo many others love correct? Now we are told the rogue one will be something completely new? Im confused and saddened equally.

If the empire still exists.. I'm hoping rogue one covers the take back of coruscant. Maybe have the ISB and an Issard in there. but in 30 year,s you'd think they'd be able to do that by now.

Last edited:

If the empire still exists.. I'm hoping rouge one covers the take back of coruscant. Maybe have the ISB and an Issard in there. but in 30 year,s you'd think they'd be able to do that by now.
I don't know but rouge one is probably about drag queens lol

Regarding Rouge One. I've been following the expanded universe since 1991 when I found the first book on the book shelf and was shocked. I've read every book since minus the scholastic ones, made for kid ones, and the three horror novels put out. a nd right now I'm reading what seems to be the last of the 'legacy' line, Crucible.

The Expanded universe is hit or miss. I'd say a bout 50% of it is good. alot of the new republic stuff can be skipped. The Terror of Kevin J Anderson and his super weapon fetish. etc. but lots of it feels like star wars. Mostly Timothy Zahn and Michael Reaves written books.

The thing I'm most pissed about in this new timeline is the seeming elimination of Han and Lea's marriage, and the birth of their three kids, Anakin, Jacen and Jaina. It would have been a perfect way to create a new 'young' generation of the current hero's if you have the older characters and younger characters mix together. including luke's son , Ben. and others like Tahiri, Allana, Jag, etc. But now all that history that worked is gone. and it would have been fun to see characters like Kyle on screen.

I just hope JJ does it right and doesn't screw it up like he did star trek. I am both excited and dreading this new movie.

They are creating a whole new young cast, just not those dullards from the EU.

I loved the EU, probably ready 95% of the novels. I also welcome its vacating to make room for new stories.
Well let's all hope there is something in the new series for everyone. There's a lot of good stuff in the EU and I think they will be passing up on many tried and tested story branches.

Well let's all hope there is something in the new series for everyone. There's a lot of good stuff in the EU and I think they will be passing up on many tried and tested story branches.

But that's just it, been there, done that. I would much prefer new, fresh stories.

It also kind of assumes then that everyone who sees the new movie knows of, and is knowledgeable of all the books written between 91 and 2012. Just not possible. You need to wipe it completely as opposed to picking things here and there.

You could get the marriage and kids names to line up - but that would likely be as far as it goes. Things like that. Keep in mind, i'd venture 75% or more of people seeing E7 won't have read any of them. The scrawl is going to have to cover lots of ground, or they're going to have to drop lots of dialog to inform the viewer where things are. I just don't expect any EU story lines to show up. Characters/Places/Items/Worlds, sure. Story, no. To much backstory to have to explain.

Unless Rogue One is a pilot's nick name (Like Rookie One from the Rebel Assault games), shouldn't the proper designation be rogue leader?

Is it just me or does Felicity Jones bear a close enough resemblance to a young Princess Organa ?

It definitely could be a pre-ANH Leia story. One of the early rumors was based on the idea of the stealing of the Death Star plans. Rogue One could be signifying Leia, the first of our original trilogy Heroes/Rogues (much like CA: The First Avenger).

It definitely could be a pre-ANH Leia story. One of the early rumors was based on the idea of the stealing of the Death Star plans. Rogue One could be signifying Leia, the first of our original trilogy Heroes/Rogues (much like CA: The First Avenger).
That would be my guess. Or at least my hope. Ms Jones is quite pleasing to the eye, if I may say so, I wouldn't mind her being the lead character. [emoji16]

Unless Rogue One is a pilot's nick name (Like Rookie One from the Rebel Assault games), shouldn't the proper designation be rogue leader?

Probably, but then again, it's possible for those naming conventions/protocols to change over time, it's also possible for those names to be interhcangable with Rogue One being the proper designation but often being referred to as Rogue Leader or vice versa.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back