Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars: Rogue One

What I'm used to is the craft is designated "one" while the pilot is "leader".

--Jonah

That's pretty much what I'm used to as well. Despite what's depicted by Hollywood pilot's personal call signs aren't really used except by the pilots themselves, any command and control assets, FACs, air traffic control, etc. are going to use the aircraft/flight designation like Mustang 11 & Mustang 12. So in the case of Rogue squadron, the X-wing that the squadron leader/CO is in would be designated Rogue One with all other craft following sequentially, but the pilots themselves with the Rogues would likely refer to Rogue One as Rogue Leader leaving Rogue One to "outsiders".

It could be a double bluff. This movie could be a rogue one. It could be the very movie we have all been wishing for. Or perhaps not.

Unless Rogue One is a pilot's nick name (Like Rookie One from the Rebel Assault games), shouldn't the proper designation be rogue leader?

I remember in one of the X-Wing books, I think Wraith Squadron, Wedge tells them he's taking the designations Wraith One and Wraith Leader (as well as Gray One, Gray Leader) to avoid confusion.

It definitely could be a pre-ANH Leia story. One of the early rumors was based on the idea of the stealing of the Death Star plans. Rogue One could be signifying Leia, the first of our original trilogy Heroes/Rogues (much like CA: The First Avenger).

They're really going to tick off fans if they do that. It would be like naming a movie "Saber", but it's about Sabacc (Sabers is a card suit) not Jedi or Sith.

They're really going to tick off fans if they do that. It would be like naming a movie "Saber", but it's about Sabacc (Sabers is a card suit) not Jedi or Sith.

The only people that might be ticked off would be people who read the EU.

I think a bad ass Leia and support rebels film could be good while giving additional back story for one of the leaders of the rebellion. I find it hard to believe that disney would be willing to have the first stand alone film be about a background character or someone the general public had never met.

I'm inclined to think this movie will not be about X-Wing pilots in the OT era to avoid comparisons to the Rogue Squadron books.

The only people that might be ticked off would be people who read the EU.

I think a bad ass Leia and support rebels film could be good while giving additional back story for one of the leaders of the rebellion. I find it hard to believe that disney would be willing to have the first stand alone film be about a background character or someone the general public had never met.

I'm pretty sure even SW fans who haven't read any of the novels or played any of the games would still associate the word "Rogue" with the snowspeeders in ESB. Otherwise you just name the movie "Rogue" and don't have any number after it.

I honestly hope this film overwrites the existence of Rogue Squadron -- some active EU nullifying. There are many things in the EU that I've loved and still do, and some that have irked me for decades. "Rogue Squadron" being one of them.

--Jonah

I honestly hope this film overwrites the existence of Rogue Squadron -- some active EU nullifying. There are many things in the EU that I've loved and still do, and some that have irked me for decades. "Rogue Squadron" being one of them.

--Jonah

How so? There was a lot of crap in the EU (entire New Jedi Order for one), but most fans don't put Rogue Squadron anywhere in the top 10.

Don't get me wrong -- I love the books and comics and characters. Rename it Red Squadron and I'm a happy camper. It's the concept of a Rogue Squadron, with that name, that bugs me. It comes from a misinterpretation of what was being shown in ESB, and requires a lot of convoluted squirming to fit into the film canon. So I reject it.

--Jonah

Rogue One teaser just shown at Celebration! Features Death Star, Rogue One symbol with X-wing fighter chatter, a TIE fighter, an Obi-wan V.O. Sounds like it OT era Death Star film! Set after ROTS but before ANH! Teaser was all stock footage, nothing new, filming begins in summer.

Edwards says the movie is about the fact that "God's not coming to save us" -- absence of Jedi "hangs over the whole movie." #SWCA
c3po.png

Opportunity for carry over of Rebels characters!

Felicity Jones plays a Rebel soldier.

All standalone films are under the Anthology banner.

Hidalgo reveals the one-line film description: “A rogue band of resistance fighters united for a daring mission to steal the Death Star plans and bring new hope to the galaxy.”

CC-ZhwoVIAAcMDi.jpg-large.jpg

CC-Zw1jVAAAbkQb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

The Entertainment Weekly rundown sounds like new footage (although preproduction and perhaps made for this presentation) was shown.

The footage rolls, and we hear Alec Guinness as Obi-Wan Kenobi: “For more than a thousand generations, the Jedi knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times, before the Empire.”

The visual is a lush, rocky planet, with bird-like creatures flying over a valley, as the point of view lifts to see a TIE Fighter scream overhead. There’s the crescent of a dim moon in the blue sky above. Except …

That’s no moon.

As the camera rises above the treeline we see the laser disc of the original Death Star looming over the planet.

Hidalgo reveals the one-line film description: “A rogue band of resistance fighters united for a daring mission to steal the Death Star plans and bring new hope to the galaxy.”

The Tweets coming out from #SCWA are awesome about this panel and the team they have assembled, This movie sounds like it's going to be great!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back