Classic BSG - Colonial Snub Laser Pistol - Completed!

Skyler101

Sr Member
Thought I would share this with you guys here.

I seem to like throwing myself at impossible projects. Let me explain.

Years ago I tried my hand at casting, and borrowed a friends mould to make some BSG Laser Pistols. I bought the wrong fibreglass resin and one of the pulls came out kind of melted, and missed most of the barrel part that hold the emitter.

I dont know why, but I cut off the barrel, and started looking at a way to attach the emitter directly to the body!

Every chance I got, I would grab a file, and some apoxy sculpt and did my best to straighten the flat surfaces and fill hold and missing detail.

After some work yesterday, I thought about giving it another shot of rimer and a topcoat of black. But before, here are the pics before painting!

img4638mj.jpg

The pistol together

img4639a.jpg

With the emitter separated

img4641hi.jpg

Some of the detail and the quality of the casting

img4643m.jpg

Rebuilding the emitter

The whole idea came when I saw a pic of US Air Force captain with a pistol tucked into his flight harness. I was thinking that that was far better than having it by your hip when in a fighter. If you were under attack, you could not pull it out in time. And the BSG pistol is a big beast!

Love your input and thoughts. Its been fun working on it, and I need to work on the emmiter some more, but its getting there.

- Skyler101

Last edited:
Re: Classic BSG - Colonial Snub Laser Pistol

Love it!!

Would come in handy on those "low-key" reconns!!

So I hit the pistol with a fresh coat of thick primer, and then proceeded to rub it down with 120 wet paper. Of course, a million new pin holes turned up, and it was apoxiescupt time! woo hoo!

Could of questions : I used a new touch up spraygun I bought, and found that the primer finish was kinda rough. Like it had a texture. Is that something that i did with the spay gun? Or did I not clean the piece off enough? Anyone know what can be done to avoid that in the future?

I also did my best to sand every surface of the pistol, by cutting up the sandpaper into small squares, but there is still a few surfaces I cant get too. Anyone know ay tricks to get in there?

I know that I have some lee way with this, as the pistol is primarily black, but I want to get as smooth a surface as I can.

Anyone suggest sanding steps? how many do I need to go threw? (Primer, 120, primer, 200, ext?)

Any ideas/suggestions are more than welcome!

-Skyler101

It looks like a unique way to do it. Can't wait to see it finished.

Hello

Looks Real Nice !! Can't wait to see more pictures. I remember somewhere seeing a picture of a WW-II pilot with a shoulder hostler were you thinking of such for this pistol???

DarKev2

The problem with a shoulder holster for the classic laser is the thickness of the laser. It is very thick. I've thought about trying to make one for a full sized laser.

That said, I am very interested to see how this turns out!!

That could work, Andromeda did the same thing in Season 2 or 3 for the Character Tyr. He had a decently large pistol and they switched to a chest holster for him.

The Question here wil be do you go with leather or vinyl, or do you stick with Kydex plastic with a custom rigging. :)

I'd say do the leather or vinyl. In the series all of their holsters were leather so this should match in that regard.

I'll look at holster a little bit later, First off I am looking to finish the pistol.

Still cleaning it up and getting it ready. Tomorrow i'll hit it with some more prmer. Smooth it out some more!

-Skyler101

Hello

Looks Real Nice !! Can't wait to see more pictures. I remember somewhere seeing a picture of a WW-II pilot with a shoulder hostler were you thinking of such for this pistol???

DarKev2

Yeah, some think like this.

j.JPG

I think I first saw this set up in an episode of Tour of Duty, and it got me thinking :)

-Skyler101

I'd say do the leather or vinyl. In the series all of their holsters were leather so this should match in that regard.

Actually, The Holsters in the Series were Kydex Plastic. Not leather. They were rivited onto web belts with eleactic leg ties.

I've seen 2 reproduction holsters made from Leather and they do look good, but the plastic ones are correct.

The Laser Pistols were notorious for falling out of their Kydex holsters and breaking. Alot of costumers go with leather for a more snug fit!

-Skyler101

To avoid my laser falling out of my holster, I actually used soem leather thread to keep the sides together.
Clasp1-vi.jpg

Barely noticable but holds the laser securely. I recommend it to everyone at Blackstar Squadron to avoid the laser hitting the ground.

I have tried to get onto the forums at Blackstar, but never could work the system out. Got accepted, but the forum would not register... hmm...

Guess I'll have to keep posting at the RPF! :)

-Skyler101

I have tried to get onto the forums at Blackstar, but never could work the system out. Got accepted, but the forum would not register... hmm...

Guess I'll have to keep posting at the RPF! :)

-Skyler101

Hey man, what issues are you having signing up on the Blackstar forums? I'm an admin there and if needbe I'll get you an account.

Let me know man

Hey man, what issues are you having signing up on the Blackstar forums? I'm an admin there and if needbe I'll get you an account.

Let me know man

I'll PM you about it next week.
I'd like to get on the forum there :)

-Skyler101

After some putty work and a quick sand, I hit the pistol with some primer, and could not help myself, gave it a coat of flat black to see where I was at!

img4669w.jpg

Starting to look like a Colonial Laser pistol!

Still needs alot of sanding in some of the tighter areas, and some more Apoxie Sculpt. I don't think there is a straight face on this thing!

Still, its getting there!

-Skyler101

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back