Another MPC Millennium Falcon Modification

:eek!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT a beauty!!!
Thanks Haystack.....dunno....I can't see it yet

Well that's just unfair.
Not only are you a master model builder but you are also a master model painter? Some people get all the talent.
Ha....thanks Yodamann....I enjoy the building part....not so much the painting bit.....I've ruined models at this stage.....not confident at all with paint

To be perfectly honest, with a build like this I think that helps with the overall appearance.
Overspray is not out of place (my taste of course) and that beast sure is looking mighty good:cool
Thanks Zombie & joberg,...yeah overspray doesn't really bother me too much,...just sloppy masking:D

EXCELLENT.
Thanks Cap'n

Hey, John, really amazing work you're doing. You're a certified Falcon nut! :)
Thanks crackerjazz,....a certified nut more like

Outstanding! Very inspiring too!!!

Thanks very much Sergiotron

Tidied up the painting a bit more,.....added some more panel shades
Next on to the wee black lines on panels & some decals,.....then the underside

highlight.jpg

Lower2.jpg

Lower.jpg

High.jpg

Thanks very much for the comments & encouragement guys
John

Seeing this makes me think, maybe they did use an MPC in empire. Like in the space slug belly close-up scene.
That could easily have been this.

I think what's putting you off is the lack of weathering, once you've got the wear and tear into it you'll feel satisfied with this masterpiece I'm sure :)

- - - Updated - - -

Also the PE kit is on its way...how are you going to retrofit it? does the hull still come apart..?

thats looking great!

cheers
bryan
Thanks Bryan

Nice work Jaitea, looking forward to to the bottom half.

Thanks Scratchy,.....in future I'm going to paint the bottom half first,....so that I know what not to do on the topside

Seeing this makes me think, maybe they did use an MPC in empire. Like in the space slug belly close-up scene.
That could easily have been this.

Thanks Kyuzo

LOVE IT!!! LOVE IT!!!! LOVE IT!!!!!:thumbsup

Ha, thanks tek

I think what's putting you off is the lack of weathering, once you've got the wear and tear into it you'll feel satisfied with this masterpiece I'm sure :)

Also the PE kit is on its way...how are you going to retrofit it? does the hull still come apart..?

Hopefully you're right Haystack,....weathering is also pretty scary

Yep the hull isn't glued together yet

Looks better than the 32" to me. It would have worked in Empire for sure:thumbsup

Wow thanks for that comment faustus!

On a bit lines drawn on & decals added, now on to some weathering, starting off light,.....don't want to go too dark

Frontend.jpg

damage.jpg

morepanels.jpg

SomeStreaks.jpg

Thanks for looking

John

...now on to some weathering, starting off light,.....don't want to go too dark...
I like the way you're thinking. I've seen a lot of Falcon builds where the modeler seemed to get carried away with the weathering, and by the time they were done the finished build looked like it had just barely survived a structure fire. :facepalm The filming models were weathered, but not as much as most people seem to think.

I just noticed the laser blast holes in the hull........very cool detail!

cheers
bryan

Thanks Bryan, I did them a bit different than what ILM has done them, these are more carved out

I like the way you're thinking. I've seen a lot of Falcon builds where the modeler seemed to get carried away with the weathering, and by the time they were done the finished build looked like it had just barely survived a structure fire. :facepalm The filming models were weathered, but not as much as most people seem to think.

.....that was the plan....the photos that follow shows I went a bit darker.....I will highlight some parts again brighter....thanks Zombie

Superb. Bravo.
One of the best Falcon I've seen.

Thanks cabour

Some more photos...cockpit still pretty much untouched

I dropped the radar dish & haven't repaired it yet.....The Falcon looks like Lando has taken it for a trench run

Smokey.jpg

Fronton.jpg

Mandibles.jpg

Rear2.jpg

Deck.jpg

LandosStory2.jpg

LandosStory.jpg

Jaw.jpg

Floor.jpg

Thanks for looking

John

OK, I did a little work to the 'Koolshade' effect on the side of the cockpit using the original idea I'd had way back at the start of the thread:

koolshade.jpg

......but as soon as I had finished & painted I got a parcel in the post from Haystack Hair, it was his PE set with a metal version of the grill:

PEset.jpg

I think I'll rip my material one off and attach his,.....here's mine as it is:

Cockpitwire2.jpg

Cockpitwire.jpg

I painted the underside.....mmmm....nice 'n clean

Belly.jpg

Thanks for looking

John

I purposely made the koolshade strip too long J, so make sure you cut it down alright (I hardly need to tell you but yeah)
Looking good though! Can't wait to see the vents in place

Thanks again Haystack, I've made good use of the PE, I think it looks a lot better:

Newgrille.jpg

I also removed the moulded details from the dish and replaced with the PE:
PEDish.jpg

Coated with primer:
NewDish.jpg

I made a Turret Well with foamex, it turned out OK, I might re-do it although it is hard enough to see when in position in the Falcon

turretinside.jpg

Turretinnards.jpg

I like working with foamex, I'll have another crack at the Turret Well, then have a go at making the Cockpit with it

Thanks for looking
John

All looks great to me John! Could you maybe cut the foamex at a 45º angle to get the turret walls flush? I've done it before and you just need to rest your knife at the correct angle, with your thing you could just cut one long strip at and angle and then cut it into the appropriate lengths. Just a thought, and I don't suppose it will affect your build much either way haha

Thanks Haystack, the walls were made simply by making a strip the length of 4 sections & 3 sections, I superglued a skin of thin plasticard to this strip. Then I sliced down through the other side of the foamex about 90% of its thickness, this allowed me to fold the sliced sections to make the shape of the well,......gonna have another go at it,.....maybe use thicker optics etc

J

Recently started the AMT Falcon I'd picked up years ago and came across rpf searching for reference information. Outstanding work and great photos by you and so many others here! Brilliant work, looking forward to seeing more!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back