Painting Leather Shoes - Fight Club (Gucci) Experiment

Soulinertia

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So I got these pair of vintage Italian made Gucci shoes on ebay last week.

IMG_8650.jpg

They are the same exact pair Brad Pitt wears as Tyler Durden in Fight Club, but they were too dark! I got a helluva deal on them ($35) so I figured I'd just buy em even though they were too dark and try to lighten them up somehow.

After purchasing I started researching how to lighten leather only to discover that lightening leather is pretty much impossible. :facepalm Sure, you can go darker, but once the dye impregnates the leather there really is no going back. So I started researching some alternative ideas. I found a couple youtube videos of people customizing their old nikes with acrylic paint. So I figured I'd try an experiment of my own.

I started with some deglazer. I guess this stuff is pretty much just acetone.

IMG_8652.jpg

Detail, right before applying the deglazer.

IMG_8653.jpg

Deglazing finished. This stuff works fast and with minimal effort. Pretty much just slop it on and wipe it off.

IMG_8654.jpg

After stripping the wax and protective coating off I used a little fine grit sandpaper to give the paint better adhesion.

IMG_8655.jpg

Then I cleaned with rubbing alcohol.

IMG_8657.jpg

I didn't have any specialized leather formulated acrylic paints (I hear the Angelus paints are ideal) but I really wanted to get rolling on the project so I just used some cheap folk art acrylics I had on hand.

IMG_8658.jpg

I mixed up a batch of light color for a quick primer coat.

IMG_8659.jpg

After first application. Woah thems some fugly loafers! :confused

IMG_8660.jpg

Then I sanded them down again.

IMG_8661.jpg

Detail shot.

IMG_8662.jpg

For the initial base coat I decided I added some higher quality Liquitex paint into the mix which I also had on hand.

IMG_8663.jpg

After some trial and error mixing, I finally got the color I was looking for and brushed on the base coat.

IMG_8664.jpg

Base coat on both shoes.

IMG_8665.jpg

To achieve a smooth even colored surface I knew some airbrush work would be required, so I masked off the buckles, soles and inside of the loafers.

IMG_8666.jpg

My good ol' Paasche single action :love

IMG_8667.jpg

I thinned my base mix with water so I could run it through the airbrush.

IMG_8668.jpg

One shoe done.

IMG_8669.jpg

Both shoes done.

IMG_8670.jpg

Then I ran some Badger yellow through for highlights and to warm up the color a bit.

IMG_8671.jpg

After that I ran some burnt umber along the stitch lines and creases in the loafer that had developed over time from regular wear. This really brought it home for me. :)

IMG_8673.jpg

After removing all the packaging tape.

IMG_8675.jpg

IMG_8676.jpg

IMG_8677.jpg

IMG_8678.jpg

IMG_8679.jpg

Now to protect the finish. I went with Liquitex High Gloss Varnish. (because, you guessed it . . . it's what I had on hand) :p

IMG_8680.jpg

After the first coat.

IMG_8689.jpg

And the final product after 2 coats of varnish. (I'm thinking I might add one more coat.)

IMG_8744.jpg

Couple detail shots.

IMG_8739.jpg

IMG_8737.jpg

For reference, here is the color I was trying to match:

walking2.jpg

largeoutfit.jpg

I think I pretty much got there. :thumbsup

IMG_8740.jpg

Now for the durability test. I'm going to wear these shoes every day to work for the next month to see how they hold up. I already got a comment this morning from the boss "Pretty snazzy kicks you got there", he says. If anything, the shoes TD wears are pretty worn down, not all sparkly new looking, so hopefully they will only get closer to ASOS with age. ;)

Wow very impressive, I bet that was nice to have all those materials work out perfectly!

Do those have waffle stomp-er soles by the way? I couldn't tell on your shoes they kinda look like they do, in the on set walking photo.

My first thought was "painting leather gucci shoes?!?? Is this guy INSANE???"

But man do those look sweet finished! And the shading in the stitch lines, etc., looks authentic for leather, too.

It'll be cool to see how this holds up with wear.

Nice work and dedication!

I painted some wingtips by adding white liquitex acrylic paint over black to replicate spectators for a costume party where I went as a 1930's gangster.

The white began to flake off at the creases after some time, but I didnt prep as much as you did.

Sounds like prepping properly may have resolved this but despite my lack of prepping they lasted a long time.

Wow very impressive, I bet that was nice to have all those materials work out perfectly!

Do those have waffle stomp-er soles by the way? I couldn't tell on your shoes they kinda look like they do, in the on set walking photo.

Yeah, I had the itch to do something creative! I hate it when I don't have what I need on hand. Waiting for supplies to arrive in the mail or having to shop when all you want to do is create can put a real damper on things. I was able to do all the work for these in about 4hrs (excluding dry time). Man, I haven't airbrushed in at least a couple years. Felt good!

Strange how the boot soles were added to the guccis for the film huh? I thought about doing that to mine, but I'm still undecided.

Yeah, I had the itch to do something creative! I hate it when I don't have what I need on hand. Waiting for supplies to arrive in the mail or having to shop when all you want to do is create can put a real damper on things. I was able to do all the work for these in about 4hrs (excluding dry time). Man, I haven't airbrushed in at least a couple years. Felt good!

Strange how the boot soles were added to the guccis for the film huh? I thought about doing that to mine, but I'm still undecided.

The boot soles was cause Brad wears lifts.

But then Helena Bonham Carter was wearing crazy high lifts, just to stay in frame with the rest of the cast. Seems counter productive that Brad would also wear lifts, maybe he took them off for his scenes with her.

But then Helena Bonham Carter was wearing crazy high lifts, just to stay in frame with the rest of the cast. Seems counter productive that Brad would also wear lifts, maybe he took them off for his scenes with her.

Correct, it also fit with the theme. You never saw Brad and Helena together with the narrator.

Brad Pitt is 5'10 and Norton is 6'1 yet in the film they look dead even. Brad Pitt is notorious for wearing lifts even in every day life.

Interesting,
I didn't know they were meant to add height. I originally thought they were meant to sorta blur the lines between fancy shoes and a rugged outdoor shoe(and for added traction as a fighting shoe). So I guess kid of a rugged/fancy/outdoor/athletic, fighting shoe!? :)

I have no idea what the model is. I know it's vintage. They don't make this them quite like this anymore. It's the single inverted "G" horse-bit, not the double inverted "G's". That's really all the information I have on them. Wish I could offer you more. Good luck on your hunt!

Hello, any chance you’d be willing to do this over again for a price if I provide the shoes?
I have far too many other projects going on right now, sorry. I will say that after all these years, the paint is starting to crack and chip. I've only worn them a few times. I mostly just use them for display. There might be some better, more flexible paint out there.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back