Leather maintenance: what products to use?

TomVDJ

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have a few leather prop replica's: Book of Secrets, Indy's whip, some helmet straps, Freddy Krueger glove, Grail Diary covers, etc...

Until now I used a leather grease I had at home, which worked perfectly, but the can did not had a label, so I have no clue what the stuff was. But I used it before on shoes, belts and some leather gloves and it always worked like a charm to maintain these items, keep them in good condition, etc... so I was pretty confident it would be OK to use it on my props too. And indeed it worked nicely.

But now this can is empty, so I'm looking for a replacement product to maintain my leather items. Can people here give me some tips on what products to use? For the Indy whip I have a special product specifically for kangaroo hide whips, so I'm covered there, but I'd like to have a "universal" leather grease I could use for all other items...

Thanks for the info, guys! I'll look into the Pecards products. If other people have other tips, feel free to share!

I like Obenauf's products as well. They make an oil for hydration and a waxier weather-proofing cream. Both work well and are very natural smelling. Depending on your needs you can also just use simple neatsfoot oil or any oil you have at home that you'd put on your skin (light olive oil, jojoba, almond oil, etc.).

But just be careful not to over-oil or condition your leather gear. Sometimes it's just as effective to wipe off dust and buff with a soft cloth.

Vasoline and a clean cloth. I know it sounds funny but it lifts dirt out while also adding protection without drying out the skin. I found it useful for all my baseball gloves. Always test on inconspicuous spot first.

I use Pecard's for light conditioning and water resistance, Dr. Jackson's (Tandy) for dryer leather that needs more conditioning, or pure neatsfoot oil for deep hydration. Pecard's easily smells the best of the three.

It's not the best idea to use petroleum-based products on leather, especially if it's nice vegetable tanned leather. Probably not as bad on chrome-tanned stuff or leather with a thick factory finished but there are plenty of natural alternatives available. If the leather's a little dirty just conditioner and buffing should be plenty. Maybe a little saddle soap first and then oil it's it particularly bad.

Vasoline and a clean cloth. I know it sounds funny but it lifts dirt out while also adding protection without drying out the skin. I found it useful for all my baseball gloves. Always test on inconspicuous spot first.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back