Daredevil (Netflix Series)

Brilliant. Simple brilliant. Rarely, other than “Game of Thrones” have I ever been inclined to watch a series in almost its entirety one program after another as I did today. And totally, against the odds “Daredevil” achieved almost exactly that. Where to start?
Firstly the cast is almost perfect and were superbly written. Seldom have I ever seen so many characters and their backgrounds so authentically recreated and explored in a “super hero” show that made it barely feel like one. Instead it worked almost at a level like many of the gritty crime thriller films of my youth ,with newer elements from “The Raid”, “The Departed” and “The Wire” worked in.
Murdock and Fisk’s backstories were superbly done and even better ,the influence and implications of their actions on the people around them were telling and engrossing. Both Charlie Cox and especially Vincent D’onofrio deserve the huge applause for what they managed to do with their characters, Fisk is right up there with Loki or Nolans Joker as a truly memorable and complex villain. The rest of the cast were often just as outstanding and often impossible to second guess at critical moments.
And all the writers and producers deserve an award for what they managed to do with the entire series. By starting where they did, steadily developing their cast and story they have made perhaps the best comic book adaptation I have ever watched. I don’t think there was even one weakish episode ,they were all so strong. The news that Drew Goddard is apparently working on Spiderman and The Martian is just great. I hope the rest of the production team get to work on other Marvel shows.
And ,like I said before, the lack of traditional super hero “elements” in this moved it so far away from my expectations I just couldn‘t guess what would happen next and was frequently surprised and shocked, particularly by the violence.
I suspect the parts that were left unexplored and unexplained ,particularly the Far Eastern themes ,will be expanded on in the next series and will be bring back Stick and the Clans. But please Netflix please release an episode perhaps every day, or couple of days. This was just too good a series to burn through it like I did.

It's also refreshing that Cox's Murdock doesn't wallow in brooding pathos. He just gets down to business and goes to town. I'm only two episodes in and I'm going to take my time with this 13 hour feature film savoring every moment.

As with GotG this was satisfying far, far beyond my wildest expectations.

Last edited:
Finished the rest of the episodes today, man alive was that well done. I took some notes of Easter eggs I noticed while watching. I'll put them in spoiler tags for those who haven't finished the season.

During Vanessa and Fisk's second date, Vanessa mentions being hit on by a "tall man in a white suit with an ascot". They poke fun at the idea of wearing an ascot. Wilson Fisk in the comics classically wears a mostly white suit and ascot.

Jack Murdoch calls Matt's mom to let her know that she will need to take care of Matt. We later see that Matt went to live at an orphanage run by the Catholic church. In the comics it has been revealed that after leaving Jack and Matt, Matt's mother became a nun and had been using that cover to look out for him.

Jack's last fight is with a young and upcoming Carl "Crusher" Creel. Creel is also known as the Absorbing Man and makes an appearance in Agents of Shield.

Leland Owlsley is known as the Owl in the comics. When being fitted for an armored suit by Mr. Potter, the material that is being used for the suit is a greenish color, the Owl typically wears a green suit in the comics.

Several references to Fisk being a king are made: As a child Bill Fisk, Wilson's father, says that Wilson should be a king. The playing card used by Ben Urich to represent Fisk is the king of diamonds and put on the board with a push pin. Both these instances may be hinting at Fisk taking on the name Kingpin.

Nobu wears red ninja garb during his fight with DareDevil, Hand ninjas usually wear red outfits.

Nobu is seen several times with a map of Hell's Kitchen with a block marked as property his organization wants. In the comics, the Hand take over a section of Hell's Kitchen and build a temple there called Shadowland.

DareDevil visits the nurse Claire whenever he needs to be patched up, this may be a reference to the Night Nurse who attends to superheroes in need of medical attention but can't go to hospitals without revealing their secret identities.

Matt's hair is mostly brown in this series, deviating from the red hair he has in the comics. In many scenes however, a red light is reflected off of Matt's hair, giving it a red tint.

Edited to add 4/13/15:
Claire gives Matt the name "Mike" after he refuses to give his real name. Matt once pretended that he had a twin brother named Mike and that Mike was DareDevil in order to protect his secret identity.

Last edited:
I'm about halfway through, so I don't want to read any comments yet, but this reminds me a lot of the great Bendis run from ten years back or so...all that newsprint looking art and old school tones and black ink splatter. Texture. Nice to see Marvel branching out into something outside the MCU and Agents of Shield, tonally.

Okay, back to the Daredevil binge!

EDIT: Just finished. OUTSTANDING. Marvel should keep doing TV like this. One small fly in the ointment: the red suit really looks bad in action, imo. Stiff and cartoony. I hope they tweak it some for season 2. The highlight for me is absolutely Fisk. Steals the show. They took the dictum that a hero is only as good as his villains to heart and gave DD a rich and compelling one. Of all the Marvel movie/TV villains, he's by far the most interesting. It's hard to really identify with the Red Skull or Loki or some aliens. Fisk I could bond with.

Last edited:
The Wife and I watched all 13 episodes on Saturday and loved every minute of it. Fantastic show, we're both ready to watch it again. Going to be a long wait for season 2 :(

We're four episodes deep. We both love it.
I don't know how else to say it, but it's true again:
Marvel nailed it. Man. I love this. COMIC BOOKS.

Loved the series. Binged the entire season Friday night/Saturday morning. Still not sure if I like having an entire season at once, but I can't make myself wait when I have that option I guess!

I've read on a lot of "comic book fan" sites that people are hating the red suit because it's not the classic red with the DD logo. You can't have gritty and realistic AND a guy running around in red spandex... it just doesn't work that way. Personally, I thought it was great. It fits well within the established world and story. Some people don't like the "armored" look but I don't think it was too over the top. He was obviously getting shredded EVERY time he went out and needed lightweight armor that didn't impede his fighting style (which Fisk conveniently used for his own protection). Only gripe I have with the suit is the helmet. Not so much the covered nose (a la Batman) but the covered ears really REALLY bug me. Granted, Melvin Potter didn't know Murdock was blind, but I would think that helmet would make it REALLY hard for him to function. First time he suits up you actually see him standing on the rooftop without the helmet on so he can hear what's going on and track down where Fisk is being taken when the convoy gets hijacked.

Really looking forward to the future of Marvel on Netflix!

I have to say that despite the stellar performances of the cast, especially Charlie Cox, Vincent D'Onofrio, and Elden Henson (he IS Foggy Nelson), the fantastic visuals, the stellar cinematography, and the amazing choreography, I have to give the utmost props to the opening credits. The visuals of the bloody streets and landmarks combined with the perfectly orchestrated theme sold me on the show before anything else.

Some more Easter Eggs and Speculation:

Rosario Dawson's character is actually an amalgamation of Claire Temple (love interest of Luke Cage) and Night Nurse.

While referring to him as "Mike," Claire said that it was the name of an ex... someone else who was good at keeping secrets. Mike Peterson, perhaps?

Matt lived at St. Agnes Orphanage for a number of years. St. Agnes is also one of the many places where Skye was hidden by SHIELD as a child. It was the place where she was known as 'Mary Sue Poots.'

Father Lantom, the priest to whom Matt gives confession, is an established Marvel character, having ties to Cloak and Dagger as well as giving refuge to The Runaways. Joss Whedon is a big fan of The Runaways.

Yep, Netflix is a huge cost saver. I joined in October and after the first free month it still saved me a HUGE amount on boxsets alone. I watched the whole of Breaking Bad, House of Cards, Black Orphan,Marco Pollo, and older shows like Rome again, Fargo again etc. And thats not counting things like Daredevil, and Better Call Saul. I hardly watch any freeview TV these days. And if it keeps producing stuff like DD its money well spent. Think of it as a kickstarter for great series!!!!!

While referring to him as "Mike," Claire said that it was the name of an ex... someone else who was good at keeping secrets. Mike Peterson, perhaps?

It's actually a reference to back in the early days of the DD comics where Matt would pose as his flamboyant twin brother "Mike" to further dodge suspicion of him being DD.

It's actually a reference to back in the early days of the DD comics where Matt would pose as his flamboyant twin brother "Mike" to further dodge suspicion of him being DD.

That would make sense if Matt had come up with the name. However, Claire did. I have to wonder who her "Mike" really was.

Just because she suggested the name doesn't mean it's not a nod to the comics.

Also, Mike is a fairly common name. It doesn't have to be someone notable.

Got through the season last night. It sure is gonna be a long wait to see Daredevil again, first in The Defenders then in DD S2. If Marvel can maintain this quality for all of the other series, this is gonna be amazing television. Not that DD is perfect, far from it - the show has some pacing issues, some of the Karen-Foggy scenes were cringe-worthy, and the finale was a bit anti-climatic - but it's an incredibly solid execution by Marvel TV overall.

Costume needs to change.

Needs to be more form-fitting. The comic suit (especially the first one) was evocative of acrobat leotard to make him look acrobatic.
This pseudo-ballistic-body armor suit is a little played out.

Right now the suit looks more like The Crimson Bolt than Daredevil.

tumblr_m7clp4oj3h1r2fm7to1_500.jpg

Costume needs to change.

Needs to be more form-fitting. The comic suit (especially the first one) was evocative of acrobat leotard to make him look acrobatic.
This pseudo-ballistic-body armor suit is a little played out.

That's pretty much what his black suit was. I can't seem them going to a red version of that for the exact reason they point out in the show: Without some type of body armor he gets literally shredded by people in almost every outing.

I had almost no problem with the 2.0 suit. Color could be a little lighter shade of red maybe instead of pushing more towards cardinal/maroon. Only design element I don't like about it is that the helmet/headpiece has covered ear protection which would severely hinder one of his most important senses.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back