Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Well, the new episode disappointed me a bit.
The characterisations fell a bit flat for me, inasmuch as it really felt like they were ginning up a reason for there to be a big fight. Skye's mom's motivations aren't unclear, but they feel hollow to me. I always felt like she was being portrayed as skeptical but willing to listen to reason. So much for that idea.
This is the first time my suspension of disbelief has been throttled by this show.

Well, the new episode disappointed me a bit.
The characterisations fell a bit flat for me, inasmuch as it really felt like they were ginning up a reason for there to be a big fight. Skye's mom's motivations aren't unclear, but they feel hollow to me. I always felt like she was being portrayed as skeptical but willing to listen to reason. So much for that idea.
This is the first time my suspension of disbelief has been throttled by this show.

I definitely agree.

Honestly, I haven't liked much what they've done with Skye as a character this season after they had her sent to the safe-house/cabin. It just seems like all the character development they've done with her and all the work gone into showing the connection she and Coulson have established went out the window for the sake of the set up we saw at the end of tonight's episode.

I haven't seen AoU yet so I don't know how long the story takes place over, but I think this was kind of handled wrong on this episode. For the most part it seems to be only a day or two since the last episode as everyone seems exactly the same and dealing with the exact same topics, yet Coulson refers to having just gone through a war (Ultron I assume) which gives the impression of time having past between the two episodes.

Kind of like 'pour some coffee--go have a war--bring the coffee over to the table'....something just didn't jive right about it.

I haven't seen AoU yet so I don't know how long the story takes place over, but I think this was kind of handled wrong on this episode. For the most part it seems to be only a day or two since the last episode as everyone seems exactly the same and dealing with the exact same topics, yet Coulson refers to having just gone through a war (Ultron I assume) which gives the impression of time having past between the two episodes.

Kind of like 'pour some coffee--go have a war--bring the coffee over to the table'....something just didn't jive right about it.

It's basically a week. While not acknowledged in AoU, the final scene from last week leads straight into the opening scene of AoU (I've heard people say it was likely a matter of hours). And then it's, like, 8 days or something for the course of the movie.

As others have said, I wasn't entirely impressed with the episode, but I will give it this: it was much more accessible to people who haven't seen AoU than last year's post-TWS was to people who hadn't seen that. In fact, the post-TWS episode was the entire reason I was so adamant about having to go see AoU before this week's, because I figured I'd be way out of the loop again.

it was much more accessible to people who haven't seen AoU than last year's post-TWS was to people who hadn't seen that.

I'm glad of that. I'm still going to wait another week or two before I go see AoU. I like to wait until the crowds have dissipated.

Yeah this was a kind of WTF episode. So an organization of elite agents, who have military assets, wants a peaceful discussion, and you kill the negotiator? Doesn't make sense if all you're after is to keep your people safe.

Also, what's the point of turning over Cal with his Mr. Hyde juice if she's going to kill the negotiator right away? Presumably they'd want Cal go got nuts and wreck up the headquarters, which he won't reach since the jig is up as soon as Gonzales doesn't come back to the quinjet.

Except that when on the Hyde serum, Cal is notably stronger and more dangerous... Not to mention behind enemy lines. Basically, they handed SHIELD a time bomb waiting to explode. As soon as it comes in that Gonzales is dead and the Inhumans are attacking, I bet Cal comes at them from behind, making it a two-pronged assault.

Cal does more damage if he's at SHIELD headquarters wrecking up the place than if he's stomping on the half dozen agents that came with Gonzales. If they'd played it cool the time bomb would be at the playground or on the boat, instead of on their home turf.

They really should've done the helicarrier reveal last week. One wouldn't have necessarily assumed it was going to be in the movie, but for those who saw the episode, "hey, there it is!"

I really think they need to bring in some of the characters from the movies. Would be nice to see some cameos of Tony Stark or Capt A... or for that matter, some fo the background characters would be nice. I love when they bring in the big name stars like Bill Paxton or Edward James Almos... The episode when they brought in Samuel Jackson if even for a quick scene really made the difference. I loved when they brought in Lady Sif... maybe they need to bring in some of the lessor known heroes to get a kind of introduction.... or perhaps even a tie-in to the X-Men characters since they are basically all in the same universe, but then again, with the inhumans, they may quite possibly be leading up to a X-men crossover. What do you all think?

You know this for a fact? Marvel is fairly famous for their crossovers. Hell most of their entire universe stems from crossovers of some sort. X-Men started in Spiderman as well as many other examples I can't think of off the top of my head.

Fox owns screen rights to X men therefore no crossover

Yeah this was a kind of WTF episode. So an organization of elite agents, who have military assets, wants a peaceful discussion, and you kill the negotiator? Doesn't make sense if all you're after is to keep your people safe.

How safe are they going to be if S.H.I.E.L.D. is allowed to catalog them and then arbitrarily decide if and when they want to take them out on trumped up charges? I'd say the move was entirely understandable.

Gonzalez made a reasonable offer, that sounded a whole lot like "We want the intel on the people so that if one snaps we can help take them down." There's precedent for that already in Bahrain. The Inhuman cat is out of the bag already, no way forward that didn't mean one side or the other picking a fight I guess. If this were Trek they'd have negotiated around the table for another episode though :lol

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back