WIP - TNG Isolinear Chips

Hiddenevil

I've not posted for a while as i've been busy sorting out props for a convention.

I'm now back on track with my next project, which is the isolinear data chip from TNG.

These are just test chips to see if it was possible to do. I know it's been done before, but as i've only been messing around with props for a few years. I still feel very much like the nuubie :lol I've never attempted these before, so hopefully i'm on the right track.

Eventually I'll make three or four different graphics with different numbers. So there is some variety. If I can nail the chips, the next project, will be to return to my laser cut PADD's and possible make one that comes apart :)

imag0438e.jpg

imag0440w.jpg

Except for some pervy seller on eBay from who I refuse to buy one of these, I honestly know of no-one else who makes them at the moment.

I am therefore very, very interested in your build, and here's praying that if they turn out OK, you would be kind enough to share them (read JY thread eventually :lol) in the future.

Another thread to add to my follow list :):thumbsup

Hi Alan

Well at the moment it's a case of getting them right. I dont know which i prefer. White painted circuit or etched. The latter is easier, but i'm still not sure which i prefer.

If anyone has some good grabs of a TNG Iso chips, please post them up. I keep looking but i think i'm only finding remakes and i want accurate looking chips.

As for selling some. IF I can get this to a level i like, then yes I'd be happy to produce some for other people to enjoy.

JY thread?

Well that is interesting to say the least! Thank you for posting this. None of those look like they where painted. As in the circuits where filled with white...This might prove to be a good thing, as painting them is a pain in the butt.

Oh the more of these I look at the more I'm beginning to think I dont need to paint the inner lines with white. If you look at the end label under his thumb, the white is very sharp in contrast to the ciruits. Makes me wonder if they didn't laser cut the iso chips later on in the show. This looks to be a later episode. I know the early 1st season, they used microscope slides and silk screening.

I stand to be corrected, but I believe the best and most accurate way to go for these is laser etching and a decal for the top part.

The one i'm holding in my hand is etched, however the acrylic is frosted and not glossed. Which is something that could be corrected :)

Yen thank you for posting these! Can you tell me the following.

Is the circuit the same on both sides? Is the circuit silver or white? also if the acyrlic gloss or frosted?

Looking at the far right one, the image looks like it is designed to look the same both sides when you look through it. So i would need to reverse the image, when etching the opposide side. I've just realised the template i have is for the voyager chips. As this was a test to see how they would look, i wasn't to bothered on the image.

All the Iso Chips are silk screened, the TNG and VOY ones are double sided, while the NEM/FC were done in silver and gold and the NEM on the far left only one sided. It's not acrylic frosted, a silk screen paint in the corresponding color was applied there. Be sure to buy the UV reactive acrylic color plates. I forgot to add the circuitries of TNG and the label for you. There are right below, in black. 300 dpi.

EDIT: The etch frosted look is the way to go… how light could you etch?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and the templates YCL. Can't believed they painted the chips, so they are not actually see through?

Now armed with the TNG template, i will wire them down to the laser cutters and hopefully get a result. The guy is doing me a favour by keeping the costs down, using bits of coloured acrylic he has laying around. So I'm really not to fussy about the UV, so long as it looks good. If I can source some and send it down to him, might give it a try.

Thanks again!

I'm sure I read somewhere that some of the original Iso chips just had a paper label.
I'd say either silkscreen or painted would look good, but that's just me.

Nice work so far.

Yeah that's right BUT: The very first ones are cut from floppy disk labels and are dotted with marking dots on plain acrylic plates. Later they were brown with circuitries, but they were'n't very visible. The known ones you can see in the Interactive Technical Manual were cut from UV fluoresent plates, silk screened chips in the corresponding colors (since they are made in huge batches, so silk screening was the cheapest way). The labels were adhesive paper labels with numbers in Helvectica Ultra Compressed BT (aka Swiss911 Ultra Compressed BT), there were blue, yellow and green. DSN had them printed on side sometimes and VOY introduced the red ones - they also changed the circuitry from TNG a bit as you can see and used Compacta BT for the numbers as well as vinyl labels. FC introduced larger chips in the 2x4 inches and the middle and large version. First done with a rectangular, vinly printed (?) number labels with a black stripe, they later rounded the corners for INS and NEM and completely silk screened them. JMD was the artist proof (John M. Dwyer) John M. Dwyer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia John M. Dwyer interview at Star Trek The Tour - YouTube, he was the set decorator, I had contact with him on AOL back then about 2000's, he retired in FLA…

Thanks for the information :D

I really hope I can get somewhere with this project, if successful and people are wishing to buy some of these. This will be the first prop I'll have sold on the RPF :cool

As this was only a project of fancy, because I love my trek props. I'm trying to keep the costs down. I think the guy on ebay is asking more then he should for his chips, so we shall see what the laser cutter quotes me for 10.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back