Ant-Man

Ha..I hope that movie stays that way in development. For now I am not that keen about a new film starting Depp even though Wright might direct it.

I just noticed the Depp name typo in my previous comment.

LR's scoop still doesn't paint a very clear picture. I'm also surprised that Fiege, aka God, actually reports to someone :eek :lol In all seriousness, the only person who's really above Fiege in the foodchain is Ike, no? Maybe Quesada and Fine perhaps? Or maybe LR's wrong and Fiege actually changed his mind on Wright? I doubt it's Disney, they've been pretty good about staying out of Marvel's key decisions, namely when the Avengers stars started complaining about their pay and both Iger and Horn flat out told their agents they wouldn't get in Marvel's way.

My suspicion, given Wright's been working on this script since before Iron Man, is maybe there were too many elements in the current script that didn't mesh well with the MCU Phase 3 direction, and he felt that if he budged any more, it would no longer be his movie. What worries me is the talk that Marvel's new pens are taking a very vanilla approach with the rewrites. Ant-Man was supposed to be a more unique comedy-action flick, certainly not something just anybody can pull off.

I still think Fiege is supportive of Wright. Yes, Ike is above Feige, but I am not sure if he is calling the shots, I just learned that he even opted not be on Disney's board of directors. Quesada or Fine very well could be.

Incorporating hints or cameos of other Marvel characters wouldn't be a problem, as till now none of them have been too intrusive. Something like Hawkeye's appearance in Thor would be acceptable. Wright was apparently fine with the earlier notes given to him, but the later notes suggested heavy rewrites.

Some are suggesting that those scripts changes were made drastic and bland on purpose, so that Wright would make the exit himself. Guess we will never know unless Wright himself reveals the reasons several years down the line.

Though Wright is known for the comedic tone in his films, he emphasized on occasions (including in the 2006 Comic Con video) that the movie will be foremost an action adventure film with comedic elements.

I'll start by assuming that the internet knitting circle news is mostly true.

Marvel has explicit guidelines for writers in order to maintain consistency with the "universe."
Supposedly Wright was willing to make any necessary alterations to make the script compliant only to find that Marvel already took the initiative to have the rewrites done without his knowledge.

At first I considered this scenario: that Marvel's long game with inside (salaried) writing staff had to begin somewhere so they offered up a lesser known (expendable) property (Ant-Man) for them to cut their teeth. I hate to think it's true because it would belie the warm, fuzzy image I had of the new Marvel family of motley creative talent.

As stated by someone else I'm now thinking it's most likely that Wright's Ant-Man was a brilliant interpretation that was most promising in the pre-Marvel-verse era. Until Iron Man->Avengers Marvel really didn't have a big picture. Perhaps it was only after they mapped the big picture they couldn't find a place where Wright's Ant-Man would fit seamlessly. He might have tried his best to rewrite, but I can see that his screenplay might have been such a departure ("reinterpretation") that it'd be fundamentally incompatible in it's core conception regardless of the brilliance of the script. The point of contention could have been that Marvel felt this was beyond rewrites and needed a new script entirely. I'd like to think that Marvel was still willing to let him direct. Understandably he chose to step down.

James Gunn's statement supports this version to me.

It's nobody fault, they were just not compatible for each other; that notion makes neither party like the bad guy and maybe that's the case after all. Only time will tell.

Though I usually don't read any upcoming movie screenplays unless I have actually seen the movie, I hope his early script makes its way online.

I'd like to think some of the (Thematic? Conceptual?) material might even be salvageable in a different property or as source material to seed in multiple movies (with Wright's input, perhaps). That's just a personal fantasy.

Did anyone even want an Ant Man movie until Edgar Wright presented his ideas? Wasn't his concept one that shaped the Marvel cinematic universe from the early stages? His vision was good enough for all this time up until now. Why all of a sudden in the late stages is there an issue? Suit meddling? Maybe his idea isn't Disney-friendly? I'll express my opinion by passing on this one. I'll see it on Netflix. Maybe the executives will learn to stay out of creative, but probably not.

Why 'Ant-Man' Director Edgar Wright Exited Marvel's Superhero Movie - Hollywood Reporter
It is stated that Feige ordered the changes.

You can read the whole artcile or the selected parts listed below.

" But while a source close to the studio says a search for a new director is underway, some observers believe Marvel president Kevin Feige will have a hard time pulling together the risky film in such a short time frame.

The challenges are clear in finding a director who can pick up a project infused with Wright's vision for years. In addition, sources say the film's key crew -- its heads of departments -- departed when it became clear production would not begin as scheduled July 28. Rudd's reps say he's still in, and a source close to the production says all key crew positions will be filled shortly.

Wright, 40, is an irreverent British filmmaker, and sources say Marvel had been unhappy with his take on Ant-Man for weeks. Originally set to begin shooting June 2, the production had been put on hiatus while Feige ordered revisions of the script that was co-written by Wright and Joe Cornish. According to sources, Wright had been willing to make revisions earlier in the process. But the new rewrites took place without Wright's input, and when he received Marvel's new version early during the week of May 19, he walked, prompting a joint statement announcing his exit "due to differences in their visions of the film.

The move came as a shock because Wright had been working on the project -- about a scientist who can shrink to the size of an ant -- since 2006. Feige told MTV in 2013 that Wright's vision "is the only reason we're making the movie." But Marvel and Wright were different entities when they began their relationship. Marvel was an upstart, independent and feisty as it began building the Marvel Studios brand with the first two Iron Man films and Captain America: The First Avenger.

Kevin Feige [and his top lieutenants] run Marvel with a singularity of vision, but when you take a true auteur and throw him into the mix, this is what you get," says a source. "They don't want you to speak up too much or have too much vision. People who have never worked there don't understand how they operate, but if you trust them, they have an amazing track record."

Ant-Man's tone might have been too quirky for the Marvel universe. Insiders say Marvel feels it already might have gone outside its comfort zone with August's Guardians of the Galaxy, a space adventure heavy on odd humor and featuring a talking raccoon. In 2011, Sony's similarly comic The Green Hornet with Seth Rogen failed to launch the franchise for which the studio hoped.

Wright declined comment, but he tweeted, then deleted, the word "selfie," followed by a sad-faced Buster Keaton holding a Cornetto ice cream cone (Wright's trio of genre movies is known as the Cornetto trilogy). Keaton famously lost his independence after his ambitious 1926 film The General didn't perform well. He took a job at MGM, which he later called the worst decision of his life. Avengers director Joss Whedon also tweeted a photo of himself appearing dejected and seeming to salute Wright with a Cornetto.

Wright's first studio experience also was fraught. He directed 2010's acclaimed Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, which bombed for Universal, grossing $31.5 million domestically. Now his second studio film has been taken away. James Gunn, director of Guardians, might have said it best. He wrote on Facebook that Wright and Marvel "just don't have personalities that mesh in a comfortable way. "

Last I checked, Marvel Studios aren't nor should they be in the business of keeping directors and talent 100% happy, just not their business model and despite being owned by Disney, they're still a cost-conscious production company. This is simply the cost-benefit in running a cinematic universe with a centralized vision. Plus their financial results speak for themselves. If talent want to be spoiled rotten, they can go to WB or another talent-friendly studio. I still think it's a shame Wright and Marvel had to part ways, but perhaps it's best for the sake of the MCU. Guess we won't know until whenever Ant-Man comes out, kinda hoping it gets postponed so they get it right.

Last I checked, Marvel Studios aren't nor should they be in the business of keeping directors and talent 100% happy, just not their business model and despite being owned by Disney, they're still a cost-conscious production company.

This isn't about a director being happy or not. This is about a director who WANTED to direct this film. Hiring someone to do someone else's work is the kind of development that puts a bad taste on the entire production. Let's say this sort of thing happened to Steven Spielberg on a project he's been wanting to do for years. You think the movie wouldn't implode on itself if the studio decided to fire Spielberg before filming began?

In my opinion, Edgar Wright seems to have PASSION for this character. I don't think that can be replaced. I will always wonder what could have been.

This isn't about a director being happy or not. This is about a director who WANTED to direct this film. Hiring someone to do someone else's work is the kind of development that puts a bad taste on the entire production. Let's say this sort of thing happened to Steven Spielberg on a project he's been wanting to do for years. You think the movie wouldn't implode on itself if the studio decided to fire Spielberg before filming began?

First off, Marvel would NEVER hire a Spielberg, anybody who's too expensive, too big a director with too much creative control. A big name director also wouldn't want to compromise his/her vision to work for Marvel.

Wright very much had passion for this character and like I said, damn shame he walked. Also not saying Marvel isn't to blame, if the rumors are true then it's a d!ck move for them to get rewrites basically behind Wright's back, production delays or not. Marvel could easily push the release date back to Aug, possibly Nov like Thor TDW. And another thing - this movie's been in development for nearly a decade, and if Wright still hasn't provided a script consistent enough with the studio's Phase 3 plans, maybe this wasn't as good a fit as we all thought it was going to be. If so, the real mistake was both parties not walking away sooner.

First off, Marvel would NEVER hire a Spielberg, anybody who's too expensive, too big a director with too much creative control. A big name director also wouldn't want to compromise his/her vision to work for Marvel.

Wright very much had passion for this character and like I said, damn shame he walked. Also not saying Marvel isn't to blame, if the rumors are true then it's a d!ck move for them to get rewrites basically behind Wright's back, production delays or not. Marvel could easily push the release date back to Aug, possibly Nov like Thor TDW. And another thing - this movie's been in development for nearly a decade, and if Wright still hasn't provided a script consistent enough with the studio's Phase 3 plans, maybe this wasn't as good a fit as we all thought it was going to be. If so, the real mistake was both parties not walking away sooner.
even if no singular party is to blame, both parties in a marriage will work through extensive counseling before dissolving their relationship. That it took so long only suggests both parties hoped to find a way to make this work - at least for the sake of the unborn child (a.k.a. Ant-Man Movie).

A week ago Edgar Wright left Ant-Man. The interent reacted. Last night people started hearing that the director hunt was over. Today a shortlist was announced. Tonight Adam McKay is on the cusp of signing the deal.

It didn't say he is actually directing it..yet. The title of the article is misleading, but if he does get the job, I think he would be a good fit.

Wes

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back