The Mandalorian and Grogu (feature film)

Is this separate from that Heir to the Empire movie?

Yes, I believe it is. The Mandalorian and Grogu "belong" to Favreau (with Filoni advising). And I think Ahsoka and the Rebels crew are Filoni's and require Favreau's signoff.

Now you see why we call them "Favloni". ;)

It is my strong belief that Favreau is very recently now in charge of Lucasfilm, and that Iger has made KK a figurehead while we wait for her contract to expire later this year. This means KK can no longer drive the business (like officially announce a Rey trilogy as "In Production"...it's not), but she is in a position to sabotage Favreau and steer things her way (like send Daisy Ridley and Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy out there to "unofficially" make statements, or to influence Mando S3 and BoBF), after which Disney immediately announces something else officially.

It is my strong belief that Favreau is very recently now in charge of Lucasfilm, and that Iger has made KK a figurehead while we wait for her contract to expire later this year...

That would really be the only hope for star wars films going forward.

And even then, I would want Filoni dropped or put on a really short leash. He's gotten outlandishly indulgent in his own work, vs looking for good new stories to tell.

That would really be the only hope for star wars films going forward.

And even then, I would want Filoni dropped or put on a really short leash. He's gotten outlandishly indulgent in his own work, vs looking for good new stories to tell.

Yeah, mixed feelings about that. In the last scene of Ahsoka, there's the giant statues of the Father, Son, and Daughter, from the CW "Mortis Trilogy". I think that's probably more than an Easter Egg, which does suggest Filoni might be wanting to get more "indulgent".

I liked the Mortis Trilogy, so I don't mind, but it is very much a departure from traditional Star Wars. Short leash is probably a good idea. We'll see what happens.

But IMO the zombie troopers were earned, in more ways than one! ;)

I feel like he's great at executing what he's given, but too easily wrapped up in his own personal lore when he's left to his own devises.

I've always held it against him that every show he touched after clone wars became an ahsoka vehicle. I remember watching clone wars and really giving him credit for having the guts to base it around such a tragic character as ahsoka, knowing she was doomed from the first episode (probably at the hands of her own master or fellow soldiers). She was a very noble character in that way. We got to see all the good she did before she was lost in the purge.

And instead he burned all that story telling capital by making her the turbo bestest jedi that's not a jedi, but is a jedi, but is too cool to be a lameo jedi, but loves the jedi, that operated nearly out in the open for the entire time the empire is actively hunting and killing jedi. :(

I totally get that, it makes sense.

I'm a huge Ahsoka fan, because from Ahsoka's "hotshot" beginnings through to the time that she grew to become a seasoned warrior, Filoni took JJ to school (years before TFA was a thing) on how to properly develop a new character (male or female).

As to not ending in tragedy, I have to give you that. At the same time, I didn't want to see Ahsoka die, no matter how narratively appropriate that was. Filoni simply didn't want to kill his baby. He clearly wanted to capitalize on all that "earning" of abilities and wisdom she acquired throughout CW.

The ending scene from "Stranger Than Fiction" comes to mind, when Dustin Hoffman tells Emma Thompson that her unwillingness to kill her character may make her feel better, but she therefore doesn't have a masterpiece (starting at 2:57):

Sometimes I want to have fun, rather than take in something that's more narratively appropriate. So I cheer for Ahsoka, because her awesomeness is earned, and I didn't want to see her go out like she should have.

And for non-CW watchers, this video does a great job of explaining briefly how Ahsoka's awesomeness was earned, and how Filoni worked so hard not to "Mary Sue" her:

Last edited:
I'm not the expert about fictional SW lore. But I figured the state of the Jedi in the PT was more like "at the height of the power & influence" rather than being at their prime functioning as a religion & organization. The power peak is a by-product of the functional peak and it usually comes later.

The US govt had a full-blown Empire after WW2. Still does today. But the prime health of the USA as a concept (and the peak of the govt's functioning) was arguably in the 1800s. These days the govt has gotten too controlled by corporate interests and everything is all log-jammed. The govt has stopped passing new Constitutional amendments and it's failing to adapt to the changing world. The branches cannot check & balance themselves like they were intended to. Etc.

The PT era was probably the height of George Lucas's power as an independent studio & VFX empire. But the creative peak of the content was 20 years earlier. By the PT era Lucas was struggling to produce new hit material outside of his two old reliable cash crops, the SW and Indy blockbuster movies. Willow was a failure compared to its aspirations. Howard/Duck, Radioland Murders, Red Tails . . . none of it was hitting.

I figured the Jedi were on this kind of downslope in the PT. The organization looked unstoppable on the outside but it was actually falling into internal problems & stagnating if you scratched it deeper. IMO this fits the larger SW storyline.
George says the Jedi of the Prequels is their golden age. Notice that is longer the case. That's been pushed back to the High Republic era.

These quotes are just from the Star Wars Archives book, which were posted on Reddit.

"This [the Prequel era] is the golden age of the Jedi" p. 335
"They [the Jedi] are the most moral of anybody in the galaxy." p. 441
"They [the Jedi] have good intentions but they have been manipulated, that was their downfall." p. 148 - George Lucas

Now that George's vision. Dave's vision (which now the "canon") is that the Jedi lost their way and became too political. It's their hubris that blinds them to Palpatine's plot. Not the just the Dark Side.

"Qui-Gon hasn't given up on the fact that Jedi are supposed to care and love and that that's not a bad thing. The rest of the Jedi are so detached and they've become so political that they've really lost their way and Yoda starts to see that in the second film." - Dave Filoni

So whenever you see people talking about 'the Jedi lost their way' or 'they became too political' or some such thing. Just remember that's Dave's vision not George's. Again not that is necessarily wrong, it's just good to remember.

Still would love to know a hint as to what fav’s had in plan for season 4… who’s going to be the main baddie..
Will this guy work?

1705094630611.png

If done right.
I was just messing around...I honestly don't want them touching Desann, Kyle Katarn or any EU Characters...I honestly think since TBOBF ended with Cobb Vanth in a Bacta Tank, and Cad Bane seemingly alive, they will have to incorporate them somewhere since they aren't doing another season of Boba. We also know where it's all heading anyway since Moff Gideon foreshadowed the whole cloning thing with Snoke(Barf!) lol

Maybe they will deal with Cad Bane, Cobb Vanth and Boba and tie them in , in season 4? idk
That's kinda what I'm hoping. Let the film just be (mainly) the two of them. I wouldn't mind if there are some TRUE Easter eggs, but I'm part of their key audience, so I don't need to be bombarded by '*wink wink, nudge nudge*'.

That's kinda what I'm hoping. Let the film just be (mainly) the two of them. I wouldn't mind if there are some TRUE Easter eggs, but I'm part of their key audience, so I don't need to be bombarded by '*wink wink, nudge nudge*'.
The whole cuteness factor has worn off for me. I like the old west and i like season 1 of Mandalorian( btw, now is another opportunity to complain for the upteenth millionth time that i'm still waiting for a mudhorn toy-Hello Hasbro!! um, we've been extremely patient on that one. ) Again, hope this movie definitively separates the two of them and Mando can go back to being Clint Eastwood again.

Last edited:
Seems to me that Thrawn is on his way...maybe Mando will be pulled into that conflict?
This is my problem… I love thrawn always have always will. Heir to the empire came out when I was a little kid, that WAS my sequel trilogy and still is

I love thrawn in rebels and I loved him in ahsoka, dad bod and all!

But I would have never guessed he would make it back to the Skywalker galaxy so soon and so easily.. I figured it would be a few seasons of him fighting to get back and ending up dying out there in that new galaxy..

Here’s my problem.. if thrawn is in the Skywalker galaxy.. you’re going to tell me, Luke Skywalker isn’t going to do anything about it? They have to bring Luke back now... which I can’t see them doing.. I think to me at least they are going to replace Luke with Ezra..

I don’t want to see more Luke Skywalker.. leave him alone. But we are in a pickle now.. because Skywalker would not allow thrawn to come back and rebuild the empire..

Idk anymore…

The whole cuteness factor has worn off for me. I like the old west and i like season 1 of Mandalorian( btw, now is another opportunity to complain for the upteenth millionth time that i'm still waiting for a mudhorn toy-Hello Hasbro!! um, we've been extremely patient on that one. ) Again, hope this movie definitively separates the two of them and Mando can go back to being Clint Eastwood again.
There was something I needed to tell you yesterday but forgot…

Damn this broken memory of mine…

If they are going to do this and do it with Grogu, then I really hope they will finally give us the low-down on Grogu. Is he a Yoda clone, Yoda's son, or just another member of the species or what?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back