MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

I hope the bttf123 boards are as good as everyone says they are. Just bought the pink and blue ones with the money I had for the Mattel ones!

Roland, that looks much better. I can't decide if I like it with the silver background or not.

You bring up a very good point about the direction of the rows. Not sure how to solve that...

What we have to realize here is that what Roland just posted is actually considered to be the back of the material, not the front.

On SOME of the lenticulars, only one side has a uniform/mottled apperance, while the other has distinctly stronger dots of color inside each cell. This is the way it is with the transparent red/chrome, which has fluorescent red/hot pink dots on one side and a mottled light/dull pink on the backside that looks very close to the original material color.

The lenticular sold by Phillipe has reddish purple dots on the FRONT side, and a screen-correct (though possibly not real-world correct) mottled lavender apperance on the BACK side.

Some lenticulars have the mottled/uniform appearance on the front AND back sides, such as the Rowlux Passion Pink color.

If the real light/dull pink lenticular used by the prop makers was truly of the solid backed variety (as opposed to being a translucent film), then it would be one of the films that has the mottled appearance on FRONT. I think it just so happens that the BACK of the translucent red/chrome (which looks light pink on the back) and the BACK of the reddish purple stuff Philippe sold (which looks lavender on the back) very closely matches the accurate color (light/dull pink) and the color seen on screen (lavender). But since we're having to use the BACK of these to get the correct colors (whichever one of those you prefer), the rows may be running in the wrong direction...

I'll confirm when I get home tonight that using the back of the translucent chrome/red also results in the rows running in the wrong direction and report back.

No plan so far. Maybe I'll buy some self-adhesive chrome vinyl. It's very similar to the kitchen's aluminum foil, even on the self-adhesive side.

Hey Roland,
On sticking the Lenticular down, I used to use super sticky Dots, but they show threw and mess the look of the Lenticular up. I have started using spray adhesive , **BUT DO NOT SPRAY ON THE LENTICULAR, it will fog the look of the plastic up and warp it. You can spray the Board or use poster board as a backing , then spray the back of the posterboard again to put it on the HoverBoard. After you spary, let sit about ( 2 mins ) then apply. Thanks!

On a side note, has anybody located the correct material for the back side of the strap?

It reminds me of the material inside sneakers but I haven't found any great leads on that yet and I just thought one of you experts might be able to chime in. ;)

553495_10151091743157742_895476827_n.jpg

Last edited:
this board i made 6yrs ago with rustoleum dayglo pink and you can see how it turns out in a pic....just another post to compare colors. Oh, and the screen used mattel board at usf was flourescent pink.

I used 2 inch "5 bar" nylon seatbelt webbing when I made mine. I thought it was pretty close and just glued it and the fur together. Biggest benefit was it kept the strap from sticking to the velcro, lol. I don't have any pics of the finished strap unfortunately (sold the board)... but here is a pic of some of the leftover material

xd7if.jpg

I hope the bttf123 boards are as good as everyone says they are. Just bought the pink and blue ones with the money I had for the Mattel ones!

I tired to buy the pink one from him on Sunday, but he won't ship to Canada and he isn't responding to any of my messages. He has another pink one listed and I submitted an offer HIGHER than he was asking for the extra hassle of shipping to Canada and still no response.

If there is anyone here living in the US that would be will to buy if for me and ship it to me ill give you $20 on top of the additional shipping

And is the fur glued or sewed with the seat belt material? I can't see any seams from sewing.

I think it is just glued. Also, I think I'm liking the heavier canvas look of the guitar strap webbing I posted second as of now, though I reserve the right to change my mind...

Thanks for all of your suggestions for the backing material, guys! I picked up some webbing fabric at the craft store that looks pretty damn close. Not exact, but bloody close.

Guys, sorry to insist and break this very informative discussion about materials, but is there anyone else beside me that have received a refusal letter from Matty saying they don't cancel orders ? Thanks.

Guys, sorry to insist and break this very informative discussion about materials, but is there anyone else beside me that have received a refusal letter from Matty saying they don't cancel orders ? Thanks.

They keep trying that, but send an email to customer service with the provided links to the Matty post stating that they will cancels orders. Then just state that if they cannot honor that statement that your lawyer will be contacting them.
I got an immediate response saying that they will gladly cancel for me :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back