MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

They keep trying that, but send an email to customer service with the provided links to the Matty post stating that they will cancels orders. Then just state that if they cannot honor that statement that your lawyer will be contacting them.
I got an immediate response saying that they will gladly cancel for me :)

^^ What he said ;) Cancelled mine after I threatened legal action and mentioned Seans post on the Matty forum.

Well, I just sent another email requesting they cancel my order, even bringing up the two moments where they said they would honor my request.

There. I just cancelled it via phone. Now I'm just waiting for my confirmation e-mail. Pity, I was looking forward to the tiny hover boards I could have used for my action figures.

Thanks for the advices guys, I'll do just that.

Well, we haven't seen the tiny one yet, and chances are that it would have been very dissapointing anyway. :/

Not if the final product is actually in production or worse, ready to ship.

I'm one of those people who actually really wants to own this despite the inaccuracies. It's an actually licensed prop BY Mattel that looks pretty much exactly like the one in the movie (to pretty much 99% of people who have seen the movie, anyway).

Bring it on!:cool

most people will still think its great , not everyone has scanned through the movie and freeze framed every shot to compare it

im sure there will be lots of pats on the back and hand shakes for a job well done

most people will still think its great , not everyone has scanned through the movie and freeze framed every shot to compare it

im sure there will be lots of pats on the back and hand shakes for a job well done

I have levels of accuracy i'm willing to accept for different things. I have some sonic screwdrivers that MUST. BE. AS. ACCURATE AS POSSIBLE.

But for the hoverboard I don't mind that it is not representing anyone particular screen-used prop.

Thanks for the advices guys, I'll do just that.

Well, we haven't seen the tiny one yet, and chances are that it would have been very dissapointing anyway. :/

We have seen it. It was posted in this very thread a while back:
Spector-592x393.jpg

Is there a chance that the people canceling their orders may convince Mattel to outright cancel the release of the board completely?

Now I agree with everything said in this thread in regards to it's accuracy. And I was very disappointed with the final product compared to my expectations. Hell I was also disappointed with Mattel themselves as a company for the way they handled it all.

I'm even glad that many people flooded them with cancelation requests to burn their hands a little, to help them learn from their mistakes.

But I still want my hoverboard. Remember, some people will still want it even if they were disappointed. It wasn't as perfect as I expected. But if I had known then what I know now, I'd have bought it for the Mattel aspect alone.

I'll still get/make myself a more accurate hoverboard sometime in the future though.

I'm keeping mine after handling it for about 30 minutes at comic con.Its not a bad board despite all its inaccuracies.I will keeping mine sealed as a collectors item and I think the box is really cool for display.

Has there been an official reason as to why Mattel made a stunt board replica and not a hero board?

For the record, I think the board Mattel produced isn't really a straight stunt board replica—it's a cross between a hero lenticular board replica and a stunt board/photoboard replica.

It has:
  • a rounded top bevel, like some hero lenticular boards,
  • the light green top stripe of a hero lenticular board and BTTF II photoboard (most BTTF III photoboards had dark green stripes on top)
  • no velcro on the light green top stripe, like a BTTF II photoboard
  • a sticker filling in for true lentilcular like the photoboards
  • a sticker that looks very different from the sticker on the photoboards, being a bit darker and closer in appearance to a lenticular surface than the photoboard background sticker, and without the distortion of the pattern that the photoboards had
  • magnets that look like they were computer-drafted by a 3-year-old using Skechup for the very first time, and which have completely different dimensions than those attached to the bottom of every known hero and photoboard.

Last edited:
Aside from material cost, I think another reason that no lenticular background surface was used is that it would have had to have been applied in pieces as opposed to being layed down first as one large piece with all other graphics applied on top of it as with the hero lenticular boards.

The reason is those pesky recessed "channels" they cut into the board for the pink velcro to sit within. These channels prevent a continuous underlying background material from running the length of the board.

PLUS, they probably WOULDN'T have wanted to attempt to glue the white and green stripes and yellow sections on top of the ridged lenticular material, which would be trickier and require stronger adhesives than applying those graphics to a smooth plastic board. So they probably would have applied those graphics directly to the board, meaning the lenticular would have had to have been applied as many separate pieces aroud the white, green, pink, and yellow areas of the board.

The thing is, they should have been able to realize this on Day 1 and plan accordingly, as in set a price point that allows for this (something higher than $120) or tell us from the beginning that a lenticular board wasn't feasible for the target price they had.

According to Mattycollector.com, a limited number of hoverboards will go on sale on 12/3 without the miniboard that comes with pre-orders.

I wonder if this is also the date they start shipping the pre-orders...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back