MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

have you asked rowland if theres any resellers or stockists that might have carried the correct material and able to sell it in smaller amounts

I have run the gamut of techniques with this material over the years. They all look okay (and some may be very happy with it), but I am holding out now for the real stuff. :)

"Okay" is still better than what Mattel has done. :lol

Here are the pics of my lenticular. A DVD case is the only one with a large neon pink surface, which I have at home. And it's really a pain to make photographs of neon colors and lenticular materials. Both look completely different on photos (the pink is much more saturated and the lenticular is brighter in reality). But I've tried my best.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I will definitely be redoing the graphics on the matty board. Just haven't figured out whether I want to slap some lenticular on it or not.

Also, RazorSharp thought the same thing about going a bit more lavender in hue from the screenshots. He made a hero board this way and sold it on E-bay. I think we both ultimately agreed it should be more pink. Maybe he can comment?

Razorsharps hero board replica:

kWot1.png

I do have some of the lenticular that philippes was selling (had it years), but i found it really difficult to work with as it's more of a floppy vinyl than a rigid plastic like the rowlux stuff which stays in shape nicely

i used the clear stuff when i did my hero version, backed with the closest colour vinyl i could find (changed from the colour in the pic you posted as it was too blue), the advantage of using this method is that you can buy virtually any shade of vinyl you like, so you can get the colour close to the original as possible. The colour i chose looked the closest to a hero replica i've seen, you can see in the pics (slightly different shades due to the lighting though):

DSCF15031.jpg

DSCF15161.jpg

hoverboard-screenshot-21.jpg

Last edited:
Razorsharp,

Just to be clear, you made two hoverboards with different color vinyls, correct? The picture I posted was the first you made which was a bit too blue, while the second was more pink?

Best,

Clock88

Yes, it is winning.

I get what he is saying, I just think we was being overly belligerent about it--making a post that was made to **** people off. I think it was a personal attack to the people who were getting that upset. It really didn't have much to do with me, other than I thought he was being a dick and decided to step in and comment on behalf of the people who were having the lawsuit discussion. I'm sorry if I upset some of you with that.

Yeah, I think it's crazy to actually sue over this. To me, a BBB claim is fine if you absolutely want your order refunded immediately, because who wants to dick around with refusing delivery and dealing with Matty CS/DR handling the fallout.

Personally, I think the only unfortunate thing is the actual promise of lenticular material versus the reality of costs of that material. I think Scooter had no idea what he was talking about and got himself in trouble by overpromising fans to sell the board. I know we are too far in now for anything REAL to be done about this, but if it were me--I'd offer an apology and give those who are unhappy a chance to cancel their preorders. That's fair and has an amount of class. As lame as it sounds, a simple apology from Scott Neitlich would do me just fine, but I won't hold my breath. To me, the hoverboard itself is about where the trap was before I modified it. Paint and added parts will help things.

I have nothing but respect your you, Dave. I appreciate all of the inside information you've provided on this thing and have looked forward to seeing your posts. I think the argument was a stupid moment for everyone on those pages. We seem to have settled since.

I didnt have the chance to read your response to my old post until now. I apology for that post, never was my intention to offended you or any member here. I just wanted to prove who absurd was that lawsuit issue with Mattel. And yes, my first language is Spanish, sorry if my English grammar is not good. But next time please dont call names like the one you put on me ok???...:thumbsup PEACE.

2 things:

1) Clock88, you are mistaken that the material Phillipe sold is the 2-tone chrome/red color scheme. It is not. I have a sample of the chrome/red, which is actually a very bright neon red/fluorescent pink color. It has not a hint of purple in it.

The material Phillipe sold is a light purple. I have this material as well. Roland, the pics you took of this material were taken from the wrong side. It looks different depending on which face you are looking at. Flip it over and you'll get the more correct mottled appearance. Then lay this over a WHITE background, not pink, to match the lavender seen onscreen.

2) Clock88, I absolutely agree with you that the real shade of the lenticular was a light/dull pink. Your evidence after correcting that photo is indisputable.

An interest thread was begun for lenticular of what it now looks like is the accurate light/dull pink color about a year ago which included some sample pics. This material looks to have been spot on. Also, it was the thicker and stiffer polycarbonate material. I'm pretty sure that it came from Roland Technologies, the Rowlux Illusion line, and that its name within Rowland is "Barbie Pink." It's a color they have on record but it is a custom order.

Here's the picture from that interest thread:

img6807qn.jpg

MOD EDIT: Junkyard link removed.

I don't know if the group buy of this ever happened. Maybe a member that expressed interest in it back then could chime in.

Note that it is translucent. I think it would be preferable to get it with a solid backing so that whatever glue is used won't affect the uniformity of its appearance when viewed from the front.

1) Clock88, you are mistaken that the material Phillipe sold is the 2-tone chrome/red color scheme. It is not. I have a sample of the chrome/red, which is actually a very bright neon red/fluorescent pink color. It has not a hint of purple in it.

You absolutely right... it looked very similar to the two tone rowtec stuff in the photo in the thread. Whoops!

It really does look great on the back! The pink looks like the perfect color! My only gripe is the fact that it's translucent... that ***** is a pain to glue without it messing up the lenses. I would use adhesive vinyl on the back and glue the vinyl to the board.

It reminds me of this stuff I came across a while ago:

Design and Technology Materials

Also, with the translucent stuff you won't get this exact same effect:

qRRjs.png

FsLUY.png

But now I'm just being picky! ;)

Thank you for contacting the MattyCollector.com online store.

We have received your request to cancel your order for Hoverboard;
unfortunately we were unable to do so.

MattyCollector.com DOES NOT accept cancellations. Once an order has been
completed it cannot be cancelled.
Huh ? What am I missing here ? I thought they were ok to cancel ? o_O

If we'd know about them from day one would those people who have now canceled have ordered one in the first place?
No, I would not have ordered one if the errors were known from day one. I wanted a perfect replica, not a mere toy.

Now that I pull out the polycarbonite translucent chrome/red Rowlux Illusion sample I have, it looks VERY VERY close to the accurate light/dull pink color if flipped over and viewed from behind. I'll take some pics and post them up later, comparing it to the light purple vinyl material Philippe sold...

Hmmm....

I got some of Phil's purple lenticular and I totally agree with the vinyl backing idea. I took a test hoverboard that I never finished and a white piece of paper...

307936_4849757688824_229189247_n.jpg

...and then placed the lenticular over it. As you can see, the side with white background is a lot more accurate looking to me than the regular hot pink paintjob underneath.

60640_4849761528920_2018391714_n.jpg

And for completeness's sake, here's what Phil's lenticular looks like on the reverse side:

643916_4849763168961_991445757_n.jpg

Last edited:
... Roland, the pics you took of this material were taken from the wrong side. It looks different depending on which face you are looking at. Flip it over and you'll get the more correct mottled appearance. Then lay this over a WHITE background, not pink, to match the lavender seen onscreen....

Yes, I know, it's the back side, but that's the problem. They glued the material from the wrong side in the movie too. Look at the direction in which the honeycombs point. The appearance of the honeycombs is also wrong if you look at the front side of the material compared with the real boards. On the front side they don't look like honeycombs, but more like big bubbles without much spacing between. So I think the "wrong" side is the correct side.

Here's a good picture that shows the wrong side of the lenticular:

attachment.php

Last edited:
On Ketzer boards it does look like that, but on most pics out there of surviving lenticular boards the color difference between the cells of the honeycomb pattern and the lines between the cells is very subtle. On the Ketzer board, the lines are lighter than the cells, but on most lenticular boards, the cells are lighter in color than the lines that border them, like this:

topmdu.jpg

So maybe they glued the material down on one face on some boards, and the reverse face on some. But I still think most have the face that has a more mottled appearance facing up.

Yes, I know, it's the back side, but that's the problem. They glued the material from the wrong side in the movie too. Look at the direction in which the honeycombs point. The appearance of the honeycombs is also wrong if you look at the front side of the material compared with the real boards. On the front side they don't look like honeycombs, but more like big bubbles without much spacing between. So I think the "wrong" side is the correct side.

Here's a good picture that shows the wrong side of the lenticular:

attachment.php

There now seems to be some confusion:

They couldn't have used the reverse side of the material because the reverse side was not translucent like the material you have. It's just flat grey materia on the back.

Source: I have the material sample and specs from Sommers plastic (the company who made the material from the film).

Also note that the screen used stuff was stiff plastic, not so fabric-cy like Phil's.

This looks like water damage when they filmed the board going in and out of the water. You can see all the other bits like the velcro and decals are peeling off like it was dunked into the water a few times and left out in the hot sun for years.

Noticably, the same board you pictured looked fine during the making of the film looked fine:

2ywUE.png

y4Jnd.png

Last edited:
And to Spyhunter 2K,

It depends on the light and the angle whether the lines or the inside are dark/bright. They can be both.

Tell me about it. When it comes down to it, even though I do believe the real color was closer to light/dull pink than lavender, I'm still leaning towards using a lavender color on my personal board because 1) that's the way I remember seeing the board as a kid on film, un-color-balanced and all, and 2) the photoboard background was purple and not pink (though the pattern was different and didn't really look like a photo of the lenticular surface to me).

So for me the material I got from Philippe will work fine. I also think using the clear material over a vinyl color of your choice like Razor did is a good option, since you can tailor the final shade to your individual preference.

Third for me would be using the dull pink backside of the "standard" Rowlux Illusion translucent red/chrome, which looks VERY close to the real dull pink color.

At this point, there are just too many good 90% options available for me to invest in a run of a hyper-accurate material, ESPECIALLY when the real stuff on the surviving boards looks SO different from picture to picture.

... So for me the material I got from Philippe will work fine. ...

There now seems to be some confusion:

They couldn't have used the reverse side of the material because the reverse side was not translucent like the material you have. It's just flat grey materia on the back.

Okay, I forgot that the real stuff can't be used upside down. But if the front side of Phil's lenticular is the correct side, then we still have the problem that the honeycombs point in the wrong direction: from left up to right down. The honeycombs on the original boards point from left down to right up.

And as far as I can see, most of the correct material (with wrong colors) on the picture in post #1226 also point in the wrong direction. Only the first one of them has the correct direction.

Now I've made a photo of the front side of the lenticular. I had the idea to put an aluminum foil (glossy side) from the kitchen underneath. For comparison I also put a white paper envelope under the left side. It still looks a bit irregularly but I'm sure if you'd glue it correctly (or maybe use a chrome spray instead of aluminum), then it would look great. The colors and the whole appearance on glossy silver is better than just on white. What do you think?

attachment.php

The silver backing looks very nice... well both of them do, but the silver really sets the material off and gives it a glowing feel.

Very similar to the originals.

mattel_lntclr_bottom.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back