1/72 Black Pearl kit from Zvezda

28" is in line with what you'd expect from the better wooden ship model manufacturers.

But (reflecting Nwerke's comment), there is a Revell "Caribbean Pirate Ship" model kit, listed at 1:72, and the box says its 8 1/2 inches long! :confused
Yes, but as division 6 stated above, that kit is based on the Chicken of the Sea/Captain Hook ship that was formerly a part of Disneyland in Anaheim, California. Being Disney, the ship was a somewhat "caricatured" version of a sailing vessel and not particularly accurate with regards to the dimensions of historical real-world ships; it wouldn't surprise me to find out that it, like many Disneyland attractions, was scaled down. The 1/72 scale is probably based on that Disneyland ship which, I can say having seen it, was relatively small.

The Black Pearl, on the other hand, was "Magnificent, and fierce, and huge-ish," so the discrepancy in size, despite the estimated scales, doesn't surprise me.

The Zvezda DUTCHMAN appears to NOT be anything close to one in PIRATES movies...it is a glow in the dark ship of more generic "Flying Dutchman" design.

I still have another model pirate ship that I can convert...saw someone else convert the kit and it looked pretty good...but it looks like a lot of work. I can't find link, but do have pics somewhere...I'll post when I find them.

t

Yes, but as division 6 stated above, that kit is based on the Chicken of the Sea/Captain Hook ship that was formerly a part of Disneyland in Anaheim, California. Being Disney, the ship was a somewhat "caricatured" version of a sailing vessel and not particularly accurate with regards to the dimensions of historical real-world ships; it wouldn't surprise me to find out that it, like many Disneyland attractions, was scaled down. The 1/72 scale is probably based on that Disneyland ship which, I can say having seen it, was relatively small.

The Black Pearl, on the other hand, was "Magnificent, and fierce, and huge-ish," so the discrepancy in size, despite the estimated scales, doesn't surprise me.

Totally agree. Probably would have suited me well to take a closer look at Div 6 posts! ;)

Looking at one of his links, there are tons of images olf the old Disney ship/eatery, and yeah - it was pretty small.

I barely remember the Disney ship. You've got a couple years on me, and may have clearer memories. I'm 43, so was still pretty young when it went away. I do remember the Fantasyland make-over in the early 80's, but again, barely remember the ship.

The Zvezda DUTCHMAN appears to NOT be anything close to one in PIRATES movies...it is a glow in the dark ship of more generic "Flying Dutchman" design.

I still have another model pirate ship that I can convert...saw someone else convert the kit and it looked pretty good...but it looks like a lot of work. I can't find link, but do have pics somewhere...I'll post when I find them.

t

I'm sure you know the POTC Dutchman was based on the Vasa. Are there kits of Vasa out there?

Oy! I am SOLD. That curiously looks far better than the buildup in Zvezda's own photos. Wonder why, it probably is the same one. Could just be having some context and distance to judge the overall size by. I note the closeups have the same issue of a kind of flat paintjob (a bit of satin finish on some of the blacks would go a LONG way) and lack of detail on the lower hull, particularly. I think the planking could benefit from a bit of emphasis, some rescribing in order there maybe. Also the sails will need to be tattered a bit.

SO buying this, and it's gonna get built too. My kid's gonna freak out this year; full size killer robots are getting built in his back yard, he's getting a Kotobukiya ZOID kit for his birthday next month (it'll be like all his dinosaur AND robot wishes coming true in one package) and if I follow that up by building him a Black Pearl, his tiny mind will be comprehensively blown. :lol

I'm sure you know the POTC Dutchman was based on the Vasa. Are there kits of Vasa out there?

nope, that's news to me. I'll have to see what the other guy used for his conversion...it was close, an off the shelf pirate ship...I picked one up after i saw his conversion article on the web...I'll have to go look at the name and I'll post later...

ok, here is link to guy who bought some off-the-shelf pirate kits and converted to Black Pearl and Dutchman. They are nowhere near accurate, BUT they look pretty cool.

Bob Frysztak's POTC topper

I also found WASA kits...not sure if I should buy one of these or keep the "Blackbeard" kit the guy used for his Dutchman. Either one looks like it's gonna take a lot of work to get close to movie ship...and that's all I wanna do, is get close -- on the Dutchman. But the WASA may be easier to convert -- what do you guys think?

As for the Black Pearl, I've already asked my local hobby shop to order one for me when they become available.

New Vasa 1:150 model coming out.

Citation of Fred Hocker (one of Vasa museet authorities):

Now that it has been officially announced, I can spill the beans. the Vasa Museum is working with Revell Deutschland to develop an entirely new injection-moulded kit of Vasa in 1:150 scale to be released in the fourth quarter of 2011. This kit will have about 200 parts and will feature extensive internal detail in the gundecks (separate guns and carriages). The tooling is based on our most recent plans and documentation, so should be quite accurate (the Airfix kit is still the most accurate kit out there at the moment, but this will be better).

Revell has an excellent reputation for the quality of research and tooling, and their kits are not difficult to build. Because they are a volume producer, price will be reasonable as well. This is the first sailing ship kit they have done in more than 20 years.

Fred Hocker

That curiously looks far better than the buildup in Zvezda's own photos. Wonder why, it probably is the same one. Could just be having some context and distance to judge the overall size by.
I'm almost certain they are photos of the same build-up; different lighting conditions could account for the differences in it's appearance as well.

I don't really have the display space for a ship that size, but in this case I might have to make an exception. :D

ok, here is link to guy who bought some off-the-shelf pirate kits and converted to Black Pearl and Dutchman. They are nowhere near accurate, BUT they look pretty cool.
I find it interesting that he used Lindberg's Captain Kidd kit as the base for his Black Pearl conversion--I bought the same kit for the same purpose thinking nobody would ever produce a kit of the Black Pearl. :unsure

Yeah - I *totally* have no space for it, but too damn bad. I'll move a wall or something. :lol

I've been playing with the math too, and this ship will be over four feet tall!!

A Dutchman would clock in at almost 4 1/2 tall! I've been goofing around with the Dutchman's plans and playing with some plastic, and this thing would be immense!!

GOD I haven't wanted a kit this bad since PL's Refit and FM Falcon!!

if anyone can decipher this plan it might help ascertain the length of the real ship.

http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/i...ribbean-dead-mans-chest-20060711044635411.jpg

If the smallest division on the scale line through the middle is 1ft then I make the hull 92ft long (minus the prow) which gives just over 15" at 1/72. It also gives about 8ft between decks which seems about right.

I'm getting 156' from the lanterns to the tip of the bowsprit - which is cut off, so 165' total is sounding pretty close. I get 122' for the hull proper (rear rail of the sterncastle to the stempost). So hopefully a 20-inch hull.

Squee!!!

^ Probably too soon. Someone on the Fine Scale forum mentioned it's tentatively scheduled for a "summer" release, but no firm date from Zvezda yet.

Relax man. We know from the photos that they already have this in sprues, ergo the moulds are done: this is not vapourware.

Worst-possible-case scenario would be that they go bust before release...and then another firm would immediately buy the moulds and licenses, and we still get our kit.

It often takes several months between the first trade show appearances and release date. There's marketing, box and instruction design/printing, all that stuff.

But you know all this and you're just hungering for the thing. Me too. :lol

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back