Qn abt QMXs new Battlestar Galactica mk.2 Viper

Jediguy

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Guys, I'm sure many of you have quite a bit of knowledge and experience and so I was wondering what you think of the new QMX viper and if it's really worth the 1.5K price tag being put on it .

I know one thing - it's not Studio Scale, because it never was a practical model!

For $1.5k... maybe? Depends on the paint job and fit and finish. The Serenity models I have seen show seam lines, which I find inexcusable no matter what the price, but that is just my personal opinion. If John at the FX Company is having his employees paint the QMx birds as well as Rich, Lee, or many other RPF model builders, then yes, it's worth the price. If it's got an MR paint job, then I would say no - unless you can repaint it yourself/like to do that kind of work. If I were you, I would order it pristine, and do all the fun stuff on my end! That Dradis OLED is dang cool, and I love the idea.

(since it was my idea in the first place, mwuhahaha)

I'll let you know and post pictures after my Viper shows up. I saw the prototype at DC but it was in a display case and I didn't handle it or examine it closely. I also have the BDR and don't have any of the seam issues that moffeaton mentioned and think she is worth every penny I paid (my opinion). I recently took delivery of the QMx Flying Mule and continue to be impressed with the quality of their products.

First of all, I'm a huge fan of the show and I love the viper model.

If I had the cash, I'd definitely be purchasing, but there is one thing that bugs me a little about the QMx model. The renderings were all based on the CGI models and not from the full-size models created for the show. One thing that I always see when I look at the model is the rescue hatch release on the left side of the viper.

On the full-size model, that's a chromed release hatch that looks like it is a recessed gas cap. The QMx model has just a sticker in its place. Since a lot of the action in the series has the actors walking up the ladder on that side, its a very visible item on the ship. For me, I'd like that to be a small recessed latch. I guess I'm asking too much as my impression is that these are to be the same quality as a filming miniature, so a ton of detail likely isn't necessary if you're using motion-control camera for flying sequences. It still bugs me nonetheless.

I also appreciate that the Starbuck viper has the DRADIS switch to the eye of Jupiter randomly. That's a cool effect.

As for the value of the ship, it's what people are willing to pay for it, and my guess is that they'll all sell out eventually. I'd love to have one on my desk if it means anything to you.

c'mon bro. do it. pull the trigger. you know u want to :D

Absolutely... but I also fear my spouse! I know she can pull a trigger, and just might in my direction, if she found out that I spent 1.5k (that I don't have) on a viper model.

"The Emporer is not as forgiving as I am... " - if you know what I mean :unsure

Absolutely... but I also fear my spouse! I know she can pull a trigger, and just might in my direction, if she found out that I spent 1.5k (that I don't have) on a viper model.

"The Emporer is not as forgiving as I am... " - if you know what I mean :unsure

well, the layaway plan is a life saver. Put it on 6 months and then sell some stuff to make space and $ for the viper.

Good luck!

I have some issues with the cockpit, I as I prefer the Movie Set vice the actual CG file.

However, OUR first version of the VIPER Model, we had the same configuration, the CG file vice the full size set. I think they also had to change the proportion to accomondate the screen they used.

Knowing what goes into a BUILD up with electronics, as Im currently making two,
the price for this piece is really a good price.

From what I can see it will be a Gorgeous Model, and anyone should show it off proudly.

Items like this really become collectible, as they will NOT be availble forever.

Lets see what they actually deliver.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back