Boba Fett's Slave I Build (by Fine Molds)

Looking great! Being based on the Jango version, some of the panel lines and the hatches are wrong. If you want to correct those, nows the best time for it.

Thanks for the tip, but at this time I think I'm just going to build this one out of the box.

And thanks for the encouragement. Hopefully, I'll be able to put some more time into this and make some more progress!

Sean

After being away from the workbench for awhile, I managed to get some work done on Slave I. Having completed the main fuselage and wing assemblies, it’s time to move onto detailing the undercarriage.

As shown in the picture, I completed the subassemblies for the main engine, the two supporting engines, and some additional detailing pieces.
20110729-084852.jpg

Sean

Having some extra time on my hands, I decided to get some work done on Slave I. I managed to finish the undercarriage, which consisted of adding a handful of small, detailing pieces. While I used the Tamiya thin cement to attach the majority of the pieces, I reinforced them through the mounting holes on the backside with some Testors cement.

20110804-011421.jpg

Having completed that, I finished up by putting together the supplied display stand.

This wraps up the primary assembly. Next, I’ll be moving onto priming, painting, and weathering!

20110804-011431.jpg

Sean

Not yet. I need to set up my spray booth in order to start painting, which I'm hoping to do this weekend. I should have an update in a week or so.

Sorry, I'm a slow builder, I know... :(

Sean

"Slow Builder"? Oh no.. I've been working on my 1:15 delorean since January! :behave
Take your time & enjoy... I just love to see updates! :thumbsup

Not yet. I need to set up my spray booth in order to start painting, which I'm hoping to do this weekend. I should have an update in a week or so.

Sorry, I'm a slow builder, I know... :(

Sean

After another hiatus from my workbench, I managed to get back to it with some more work on Slave I. ‘Not too much to report, although I finally managed to get a coat of primer applied.

Since Tamiya primer was recently re-released to the US, I managed to pick up a few cans to give it a try. So far, I am loving the stuff! It goes on smooth and thin and dries quickly. While the model itself was molded in gray plastic, the primer does give it a much smoother look.

The first coat also help highlight some additional work I need to do on the main fuselage in order to blend the seam.

20111127-124033.jpg

Sean

After much debate, I came to the conclusion the only way I would effectively remove the visibility of the main seam between the two fuselage halves was to attack it with some heavy duty sanding. Initially, I tried avoiding this approach as I knew it would remove much of the details around the seam including the panel lines and other greeblies. But after applying the initial coat of primer, it’s clear the seam is going to require some additional work that will most likely eliminate these details. So to help me recreate these details after the seam has been addressed, I snapped a few photos of the detailing to use as reference. Following which, I wetsanded the seam using some fine and then extra fine sanding blocks I picked up at Home Depot. I think the seam is starting to look better, but will require some additional puttying and sanding.

In parallel, I’ve also been priming the other pieces of the kit in preparation for painting.

20120117-180706.jpg

Sean

So I’m back to working on Slave I. I applied another coat of putty to the main fuselage seam, and, after some additional wet-sanding, I’m fairly happy with the results. Next up, I’ll have to restore the panel lines I removed during all the sanding, and I’ll also need to put back some of the panel details I removed.

In the meantime, I managed to get the remaining kit parts primed, and even got my first base coat onto the cockpit! It’s been a few years since I’ve used my airbrush, so I’m a little rusty. I especially need to remember to keep the coats of paint thin as I went a little heavy in some areas. Overall, I think it turned out OK.

20120428-123603.jpg

Sean

Wow! Can't believe it's been almost a year and a half!

Well I just finished moving and am wrapping up grad school. I already have a place set aside for my workshop, but will need a little bit to get it set up. After that, I'll be getting back to work on Slave I! Just bear with me!

Sean

Thanks! Just finishing up with school, and then I'll be putting my workshop together. Finishing up Slave I is first on the agenda!

Sean

Not yet, but thanks for checking in.

I took a detour to finish up a Spider-Man costume, which is almost finished. Then it'll be back to Slave I.

Longest...build...ever, I know. :)

Sean

Know how it feels...
Took me 3 years to Open my slave box again. Last weeks on a flow to finish this project.

Sorry to wake up an old thread. My FineMolds Slave 1 has sat on a shelf for 8 years, going to start it up soon, just wanted to gleam from what youve done!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back