Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model)

oh yeah, you're totally right, Treadwell!

and before I posted that, I had just been looking a screen caps from cut scenes of ROTJ featuring the falcon's interior hallways (scene cut from the Battle of Endor) and exterior (in the sand storm) but went ahead and said they'd be scrapped after ESB anyway...

either way, I still haven't seen photos of the cockpit scrapped. It's still just possible they're in a warehouse somewhere being studied by top men. TOP MEN. (ah, wishful thinking)

anyone got a couple hundred thousand laying around? Why don't we just turn my model into the real thing? .... anybody?

Yeah, what would Shapeways charge for this?

I remember first seeing those scrap pics - still painful. So, did the main hold also survive until post RotJ? Was there some plan to shoot anything in there I wonder.

they'd charge a bloody fortune. But it would also be hell trying to make all these parts "water tight" for proper 3d printing. Still, that would be amazing.

not sure if the main hold made it into cut scenes of ROTJ. I've just seen these, over at the Star Wars Aficianado Magazine Blog:

STAR WARS AFICIONADO MAGAZINE: DELETED SCENES: REBEL SHIP-O-WAR!

falconrebels-0003.jpg

falconrebels-0002.jpg

Well, 3D Printing!
..and stereo-lithography, now you're talking my language.

Been getting sutff 3D-printed and what-not for over 12 years now.
Getting commissions from the likes of McFarlane, and Sideshow.. has been good experience in that department.

Several times I've had to go back and re-engineer 3D meshes made for CGI and not originally intended for Stereo-lithography or CAM.
Optimus here, (made for the Sideshow's 20" statue) was extrapolated from the original ILM CGI assets.
While very dynamic (they also have a lot of proprietary techniques)
It was a royal pain to make this in to a cast-able statue with fittings & components that could be assembled on an assembly line.
(did I mention he has 1.5 tera-bytes of texture-map data!, never mind how may polys!)
-fortunately I did not have to worry about the textures for the 3D printing end of things.

If you ever wanted to get things printed I recommend
PCS Engineering.
They have very good prices and are cheaper than Shapeways.
Mike Huggins , the owner is a hell-uv-a nice guy and a big Sci-Fi fan to boot!

Here are some samples of some things I've had printed.
I personally prefer the 3D-Systems Projet grown in XHD resolution.
I also worked a lot with OBjet printers the have over 20 different kinds of materials including a clear material and a nice flexible rubber-like material (about shore-hardness D 90)

Sorry if this post was too off topic.
It would be cool to see this Cockpit made! in the "analog" world
...say for a 5-footer Falcon project or even bigger!

Attachments

• Table array.jpg
    Table array.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 415
Last edited:
Hey, over at military meshes they often request/show a Solid-Wire-frame render
...can sketch up do solid wire-frame renders?

that would be cool to see.
Nice to see those pics of deleted scenes
also:
Have you seen the Falcon interior of that at traveling Science Museum exhibit?
Not too accurate to the originals but as close as one may get to the real thing in full-size :cool

I....I was kidding about Shapeways. At 1:1 could any consumer available service even handle the main console in the cockpit? And 1.5 TB?! How was that in any way a manageable asset for the animators??!!!

I've seen the deleted scenes of guys running around, but yeah, nothing in the main hold. May be kind of like the Yoda hut. Didn't that go into storage after ESB, but then end up being a new set in RotJ? The biggest shame was not reassembling the enitre Falcon exterior. There's just something magical about that set in ESB. If only we could have had that instead of the weak matte painting in the rebel hangar...maybe for the next home video release...

;) I knew you were kidding about the printing, but my point was CGI assets can be utilized for 3D printing.
-even if it means a bit more work is involved.

Regarding Optimus; an animator does not need to have all the textures fully working as a final render to animate the 3D assets,

the full versions of the textures will only need to come into play when doing the processing/ calculations for the final renders.
That does not have to take place in "real-time; or be real-time interactive.
Lucas film has huge "Render Farms and massive Data-Processing capabilities.
I've worked with some of their Prequel Star Wars Assets ( for Game titles I've worked on)
Even within Maya and other apps; They have very advanced and proprietary methods they use including a lot of procedural textures etc.

1.5 TB was just for Optimus (a single Character) They got even more carried away in the second film...you would not believe.

That's why those guys are among the best in the business

sorry I don't want to get off topic..
back to cool Falcon Interior stuff!

I agree with you about the interior , if I had a lot of "stupid money"
I'd make a cool man-cave based on the Falcon interior the Cargo bay would be a home theater and the R2 unit over in the corner would double as a cooler for beer & soda
;)

I wish Lucas would make an extended versions of the Star wars films perhaps the way Peter Jackson did with LOTR ( but keep the original theatrical releases intact as well)

Last edited:
I have never played lotto before, so If I have a go this week My chances are at there greatest. if I will I will let stevestarkiller build it full sized. Hmmmm maybe I should ask the wife first. Arrr bugger it, no one tell her.

Ozzy

just thought some may be interested in this pic in relation to the current conversation.

PDVD_016.jpg

I don't know were, but I do remember an interview were it was stated the cockpit interior was "redressed" not replaced in ESB. I will try and find were this came from.

Ozzy

much appreciated Ozzy, let me know if you win, heh. For myself, I live right across the street from a lumber yard. Sometimes it takes everything I've got not to start bringing home wood to my basement.

I have another picture like the one you posted showing other parts of the back wall laid out on a table, and that same little maquette with the little man standing in the doorway. It's only slightly less fuzzy, but it's served me pretty well. What I wouldn't give, though, to see that thing up close in sharp detail. Because of the nav-chairs, that back wall, especially between the strip lights, has been a hell of a thing to reference.

Greeble gremlin, thanks for the 3d printing tips.

Sketchup has a hidden-line wireframe mode, but it's not strictly a solid-wireframe render, as it hides much of the actual triangulated geometry.

I have never played lotto before, so If I have a go this week My chances are at there greatest. if I will I will let stevestarkiller build it full sized. Hmmmm maybe I should ask the wife first. Arrr bugger it, no one tell her.

Ozzy

If you need help convincing her brother, I will give your wife my wife's number. I was able to convince my wife that our basement would be better served as the interior of a space ship, and it worked (But be prepared, women are great; loving, nice to look at, etc . . . but they carry with them a LONG list of "since i let you be a geek in the basement, can you do this, and this, and this, and this, and this, and this . . . . . . . . and this. Remember dear, I let you be a geek!":facepalm

much appreciated Ozzy, let me know if you win, heh. For myself, I live right across the street from a lumber yard. Sometimes it takes everything I've got not to start bringing home wood to my basement.

DO IT MAN! I can only imagine what it would look like :eek

I have also thought, now that you have provided such an amazingly detailed architechture for the cockpit, maybe if I ever finish the basement project, I should build a small scale replica of it based on your drawings. I have some vintage 12" han and chewie figures that would look bad a$$ in a cockpit . . . maybe a coffee table for the room:love

heh, don't tempt me. not on my current salary, anyways.

much as I would love to chase the dream and built a full scale cockpit from my model, I've made so many adjustments to it, and will continue to for a long time to come, that the project might never end. It's one thing tearing up virtual work and re-doing it all the time, but having to do it over and over on full scale physical deal... yikes. (not to mention that I started this project telling myself, and my girlfriend, that'd I'd only be doing the cockpit... heh heh)

on the other hand, man would I love to see a cockpit for 12" figures.

That's looking amazing! At a glance you could mistake it for the real thing quite easily.
Are you going to texture it up at some point? You've gotten 90-95% of the way there with lighting and colours (and the geometry obviously), and I think once it's textured you could easily push that close to 100%.

Looking good.

I need to help you with the Barastatic device on the sides of the seats. You have everything else so detailed...why not go all the way:)

Thanks guys! As always, I appreciate the compliments!

Stromy, I'd be happy to accept your help refining the seat even further. Drop me an email anytime.

Blobvandam, periodically I look for a good skuffed up foam rubber texture I could apply to the nav chairs, the door padding and the corridors. Nothing yet. got any resources?

so, recently someone suggested trying to import the model to a UDK (Unreal Developement Kit) environment. I'm concerned the poly count would be too high, but man would that be sweet. Anybody have any experience in that area, who could provide me with some pointers? (all I know right now is that I can go through 3dsmax, which I have, to get the model from sketchup to UDK.)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back