STAR WARS Rebels new animated series!

Princess Leia said:
Darth Vader. Only you could be so bold. The Imperial Senate will not sit still for this.

Clearly Vader was known and had a certain reputation, at least by the time of ANH.

As for Obi-wan, I'm sure he could've heard of Vader and eventually connected the dots without leaving Tatooine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clearly Vader was known and had a certain reputation, at least by the time of ANH.

As for Obi-wan, I'm sure he could've heard of Vader and eventually connected the dots without leaving Tatooine.
But I want him to leave tatooine.

I want Ewan McGregor to star in a movie called "star wars: weekend at mandalore"

Right, but that's five years away. What I'm discussing is that prior to Rebels S2E1, Vader's existence was not common knowledge. I think it's because any adversary encounter has not survived. The events in the episode could mark the first opportunity the Rebels have to spread the word about Vader.

As far as Obi wan. Yes, he might have stayed on Tatooine the whole time but there is nothing in the canon that would prevent him from leaving the planet on occasion. A New Hope may not have marked the first time Bail had asked him for help or gone to Mos Eisley for transportation.

In EP3 when Obi-Wan watches the security footage in the Jedi Temple the Emperor calls Anakin 'Lord Vader' after also calling him his apprentice.

Obi-Wan knows exactly who Darth Vader really is, he just didn't realize Anakin was saved and re-built until after he was on Tatooine.

His existence wasn't common knowledge to Kanaan and Ezra. Ashoka's reaction doesn't mean she didn't know of his existence, just that she didn't know it was anakin. It's not like they had a scene with the whole fleet explaining what they saw and they all said 'no clue'.

Unless vader didn't hunt down and kill the jedi til the last 5 years prior to ANH, no way he stays a secret a decade. Didn't seem like the imperial troops were wondering who he was either. They just took their orders like they knew who he was.

In EP3 when Obi-Wan watches the security footage in the Jedi Temple the Emperor calls Anakin 'Lord Vader' after also calling him his apprentice.

Obi-Wan knows exactly who Darth Vader really is, he just didn't realize Anakin was saved and re-built until after he was on Tatooine.

You are correct. I was not sure if there was audio or not on the footage Obi saw, but there was: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsM-fpkK2aQ

So I guess the question is: When did Obi find out that Anakin/Vader survived?

Unless vader didn't hunt down and kill the jedi til the last 5 years prior to ANH, no way he stays a secret a decade. Didn't seem like the imperial troops were wondering who he was either. They just took their orders like they knew who he was.

While I believe that Vader is known within the Empire. I do not think the troops are going onto their Facebook page posting about it.

TK435

With Darth Vader getting frozen yogurt after killing Jedi. I bumped my head again. - At Dex's Diner

Last edited by a moderator:
But I want him to leave tatooine.

I want Ewan McGregor to star in a movie called "star wars: weekend at mandalore"

He would have nothing to do there other than sleep with that one chick from TCW... Mandalore is all peaceful now. Apparently Jango is just some guy that found some Mandalorian armor. LAME. That should be the first thing retconned.

Was there a new episode last night? My TWC listing just shows the last episode.

He would have nothing to do there other than sleep with that one chick from TCW... Mandalore is all peaceful now. Apparently Jango is just some guy that found some Mandalorian armor. LAME. That should be the first thing retconned.

Was there a new episode last night? My TWC listing just shows the last episode.
Considering that when he left the whole place was burning down from deathwatch, I'd say that there could be a pretty big adventure to be had.

And that clone wars Kenobi was the best he ever was. And ewan is the best prequel actor there was. I think a return to mandalore would be incredible

There are any number of reasons why they weren't seen but I'm just saying I far preferred their not showing up until ROTJ to be a unspoken sign that the Alliance was gaining against the Empire, on the political and technological front. I think A-wings (okay they have semi-bubble canopies) and B-wings would've been incredibly useful during the battle of Yavin, intercepting TIEs before they could attack the other fighters making their runs and minimally, the B-wings would've surely been no bigger or slower than the lowly Y-wings.

Of course, I wonder if these specialized roles that had been established for these fighters even exist anymore. Was that a product of the EU?

I haven't seen anyone commnt to this, so I will. Yeah, those roles are all from the former EU. I honestly have no idea where the "Y-Wings are slow and lumbering" thing originated, cuz that's not how they're portrayed in ANH. Red Leader says accelerate to attack speed (which I assume means something at or near full thrust) and the Y-Wings are moving just as fast as the X-Wings. From what we saw of them in the trench and, later, the reactor run on the DSII, their maneuverability is comparable, too.*

[*As an aside, I was re-re-re-watching the space battle in ROTJ to see what I could glean for a full post-ANH Red Squadron and cripes it's a mess. The groups/squadrons/whatever don't seem to be sorted by ship type, if dialogue is any indicator. The guy who calls in as Gray Leader (in a Y-Wing) is called Red Two by Wedge later. Assuming he's Red Two, the person who responds when Wedge says "Red Two, Red Three, let's close it up", and is thus presumably Red Three, is an A-Wing pilot. And when the shields drop and Lando orders all fighters of Red and Gold Groups to follow him in, we see Wedge lead the way in his X-Wing, then an A-Wing (presumably Red Three, above, as Two and Three seem to stick pretty close to him during the battle), then the Falcon, then another A-Wing (with the old "Copy, Gold Leader" guy flying it), then a Y-Wing (presuming Red Two, for reasons above), then another Red Squadron X-Wing. Five fighters, all seeming to be of Red Group, are all that fly in with Lando. No one heads in a bit later and chases the TIEs, no commentary about that being all that are left. Just... kinda weird.]

Do we have anything in canon that says what astromechs do aboard fighters besides in-flight repair and quasi-copilot duties? Astromechs as navigators is pure EU, as far as I know, so no canon need for them to make hyperjumps... For all we know, A-Wings could be decades old, having been supplanted by the AOTC and TCW Aethersprite interceptors, and the later V-Wings. I can see a steady evolution through those -- no astromech or hyperdrive on the A-Wing, astromech physically incorporated into the too-thin-for-a-socket early-model Aethersprite and an external hyperdrive ring, relocated astromech allowing a full socket and integrated hyperdrive on the later version, then a purpose-built astromech relocated aft of the cockpit and augmented shielding/radiator wings/panels presumably allowing the bigger and more-powerful weaponry on the V-Wing.

The same engineers and techs who kept Z-95s and Y-Wings flying post-Clone Wars probably built the newer and more compact hyperdrives into the A-Wings they were keeping flying. We know from real-world examples like the A-10 and B-52 that newer tech developed for other applications can keep older designs viable long after they were expected to be obsolete.

And with the EU gone and Rebels resetting their debut date, we know practically nothing about the B-Wing, other than from its sheer mass it's almost a gunboat rather than a fighter.

--Jonah

Last edited:
Most of what I knew of the EU concept of these fighters came from the old Xwing series. Whether it all originated there or was derived from something before, I don't know. In those games, A-wings were fast interceptors and B-wings were heavy fighter/bombers that seemed destined to eventually replace the older Y-wings, iirc.

I think there might be some support in the original conception of the roles played during the Battle of Yavin. The Y-wings are clearly the primary bombing group, with the X-wings providing cover from fighters and drawing fire from the turrets.

Maybe the split is along the lines of, say, the Y-wings being like WWII fighter/bombers or ground attack aircraft, that featured a rear-facing defensive gun. The original conception of the Y-wings was as 2-seaters with such a configuration, but that changed to lock the guns forward and operate as single-seaters. With that in mind, I'd figure they'd be slower than other conventional craft, because their role would be different.

The X-Wings appear far more nimble in combat, engaging in a bunch of dogfighting, much like superiority fighters in WWII.

So, the Y-wings could be anywhere from, say, a TBD Devastator to a P-38 Lightning or P-47 Thunderbolt, while the X-wings appear more like P-51s.

The three main sources of EU content that I know of are the old West End Games RPG, the X-Wing/TIE Fighter video games, and the novels of the Star Wars Renaissance of the early '90s -- all of which kinda fed off each other. WEG was first, though, and they are well-known by many for screwing up other elements of the OT. And they're the earliest instance I know of of:

- Y-Wings being slow and clumsy
- A-Wings being developed by Dodonna after Yavin
- B-Wings being developed shortly before Endor by the Mon Calamari and being brought with them when they and their big cruisers joined the Rebellion

I like what Rebels is doing with the A- and B-Wings, even if it did take me a few days to get over the shock of having everything I'd accepted about them for almost twenty years turned on its head. I'm still angry at WEG for their treatment of the Y-Wing, that's propagated all through the EU. They're fast ad maneuverable and they made the first run on the Death Star's exhaust port. Not because of increased payload, either. I don't know where the "bomber" thing got spun out from, except maybe with the way Kenner chose to build the Y-Wing toy with an underslung bomb. But they have the same number of torpedo tubes as the X-Wing, and would only have time for one twinned launch before having to pull up out of the trench.

--Jonah

885576_471076926382269_4756360706929678275_o.jpg

Considering that when he left the whole place was burning down from deathwatch, I'd say that there could be a pretty big adventure to be had.

And that clone wars Kenobi was the best he ever was. And ewan is the best prequel actor there was. I think a return to mandalore would be incredible

I just meant that the EU version of the Mandalorians is more interesting. The idea that Jango was Mandalore of the True Mandalorians and their mortal enemy were the Death Watch. It kind of makes no sense to have one without the other. I think they should have maybe had a split where the pacifists stayed on the ruined Mandalore and the True Mandalorians that were left got mad and settled another planet which they also named Mandalore, saying that wherever they went was Mandalore. Something like that would settle the RC novels and the TCW show.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back