Watching Star Wars in order?

Fire up the ol' 4-HEAD VHS+ VCR and whip out your THX Widescreen Collector's Edition cassettes of IV, V, and VI.

Pop VII in the Blu-Ray player and watch that next. Then go back and watch I, II, III.

Grab Rogue One on Blu-ray in March 2017 (estimated) and give him/her a copy for an Easter present!

Speaking of VCR's I sure wish mine worked. I've wanted to watch Star Wars the way I remember it for a long time now.

Is Harmy's an uploaded VHS or laser disc or what.... anybody know?

Nevermind, I found it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHfLX_TMduY

Last edited:
Except, you know, the part about fanfiction and EU.
To be fair, I must say that I edited that in while veektohr was posting his comment ...

Actually I don't disregard or hate the prequels as much as others do (I'm painting a Clone Trooper helmet right now, actually) but I think neither movie is a must as an introduction to Star Wars. The original trilogy is the core - the ones that made us love Star Wars. Everything else is on an equal footing in my view, not part of the core and you could pick just about anything from it or leave it out, it does not matter.

And yes, I do view R1 and TFA as big-budget fan films. Both were directed by self-professed fans of the franchise and are filled with intertextuality and "fan service" and if you really want to look for them you could even identify a couple of fan-film tropes if you are so inclined.

R1,anh,esb,rotj.

If you dont really like the guy just get him to watch the force awakens (cruel i know)

Sorry but a lot of you are coming off as real snobs.

By humble opinion:

If the new viewer knows the truth about Luke's father and sister then I say go with chronological order.

The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
Revenge of the Sith
Rogue One
A New Hope
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
The Force Awakens

If the viewer knows nothing about Star Wars:

Rogue One
A New Hope
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
Revenge of the Sith
The Force Awakens

I almost wanted to save the prequels flashback for the very end but since TFA has little to do with the Anakin/Vader Saga, It should be kept together.

Additionally, there are people who like some the prequel movies better than same of the OT. Your friend might be one of them. I don't have any hatred for the prequels, I watch them quite often but I like OT better. Not sure why people feel they with have only one of two options: to love or hate a movie.

I love the Special Editions. I don't care if they ever re-release the original theatrical versions. I have no interest whatsoever in viewing those again. Yes, I would rather have Han shoot first but other than that, I prefer the SE and higher quality visual effects.

I used to be a proponent of the Machete order, but that wasn't designed before RO and TFA came out. Just did a quick search and here is a nice discussion I haven't read before:

http://www.t3.com/features/the-star-wars-machete-order-explained

And update from Machete himself:
http://www.nomachetejuggling.com/2015/12/28/machete-order-update-and-faq/
0287c8e9eb257925c649e90fe017eb7a.jpg

Last edited:
To be fair, I must say that I edited that in while veektohr was posting his comment ...

Actually I don't disregard or hate the prequels as much as others do (I'm painting a Clone Trooper helmet right now, actually) but I think neither movie is a must as an introduction to Star Wars. The original trilogy is the core - the ones that made us love Star Wars. Everything else is on an equal footing in my view, not part of the core and you could pick just about anything from it or leave it out, it does not matter.
I can't disagree with that sentiment. I may have grown up with the prequels, but even I remember a time before them.

And yes, I do view R1 and TFA as big-budget fan films. Both were directed by self-professed fans of the franchise and are filled with intertextuality and "fan service" and if you really want to look for them you could even identify a couple of fan-film tropes if you are so inclined.
By that reasoning, every SW movie is a fan film, because Lucas was a fan himself, and filled his movies with stuff fans would enjoy. ;) Even stuff that would set tropes for years to come.

Order of release has worked for most Star Wars fans. Why wouldn't it still work for new ones? It makes the most sense to me.
If I was to have a SW marathon I would watch them in the order as released as well. I actually enjoyed the PT but the OT was definitely the core of Star Wars. Even though the PT wasn't written or directed very well we should all be able to appreciate the story behind it and wether we like it or not the PT story is STARWARS and CANNOT be undone.

I would recommend not binge watching all in a row either.
Give some time between, it was three years between OT films after all,
and focus on the films for two hours, not pausing for snacks and
bathroom breaks. Treat them like a theater experience as much as possible.
And it wouldn't hurt to have some words about this was really the first time we saw a used
lived in worn Sci Fi universe not seen before. There is a lot that can be taken for granted
because so much has come since.

Rogue One, episodes 4&5, episodes 2&3 as a flashback. and then episodes 6&7. Episode one is optional but not recommended.

The question was what order to watch them in if you've never seen them before. I think you'd be doing any potential fan a disservice by suggesting they ONLY watch the OT, or what ever else YOU prefer. Let them watch it this way, and maybe they can decide for themselves what they do and don't like.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back