Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

The numerical Saga film designation will always be part of the opening crawl but will no longer be used for marketing.

they only started with the prequel's actually so see PT changed star wars for the "better" according to everyone freaking out about if it has VII or not .

- - - Updated - - -

you know what I miss?
I miss my old VHS copy of all three films edited together into one film the end of one movie would zoom out into space and then a ship would fly into frame starting the other damn I miss that old thing !!!

i have seen every movie in the theater at its first release and i never saw an episode VI or V or IV until the re-release with all the cgi work added as well as a matter of fact they were called

STAR WARS
THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
RETURN OF THE JEDI
with star wars very small on the posters as a border that ran around the huge title at least on Empire .

i did not know what A NEW HOPE was for some time as they also added that title after the prequel's
IF they did have numbers on them everyone in 77 would have wondered were the first three movies got off too ? LOL George did not even have the " first three movies " as a twinkling in his eye at that time so HOW could he have put numerals on them at the time anyway they came about as a tool to help people understand what episode they were about to watch and when EI came out that there were two movies in between phantom and what was soon to be called A NEW HOPE .

- - - Updated - - -

OOPS i lied i never saw CLONE WARS in the theater .

@annanake:
The Empire Strikes Back may not have had a number associated with it's logo, but it very clearly said "Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back" at the top of the opening crawl.
This was done intentionally because GL wanted the films to feel like the old serials you could still go see at your neighborhood theater, just updated with unbelievable SFX.
My mom would take me to the neighborhood theater and we would sit and watch episode 6, or episode 3, of a Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers serial, having not seen the previous episodes. But at the beginning of the film you would read a paragraph or two describing what you had missed, and then it was into the action.

The subtitle "A New Hope" was not added after the prequels, it was added after ESB established that it was episode V. So Star Wars became "Episode IV: A New Hope" for it's re-release.
The roman numeral designations of the films have existed, on printed film, since '78 or '79.

Actually Ep 4 ANH was added during the first re-release if the film in the summer of '78.

- - - Updated - - -

i have seen every movie in the theater at its first release and i never saw an episode VI or V or IV until the re-release with all the cgi work added as well as a matter of fact they were called

STAR WARS
THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
RETURN OF THE JEDI
with star wars very small on the posters as a border that ran around the huge title at least on Empire .

i did not know what A NEW HOPE was for some time as they also added that title after the prequel's
IF they did have numbers on them everyone in 77 would have wondered were the first three movies got off too ? LOL George did not even have the " first three movies " as a twinkling in his eye at that time so HOW could he have put numerals on them at the time anyway they came about as a tool to help people understand what episode they were about to watch and when EI came out that there were two movies in between phantom and what was soon to be called A NEW HOPE .

- - - Updated - - -

OOPS i lied i never saw CLONE WARS in the theater .

That is incorrect.

Actually Ep 4 ANH was added during the first re-release if the film in the summer of '78.

That is incorrect.

Hmmm.....how it really played out:

A New Hope

• The line "Episode IV: A NEW HOPE" was added to the opening crawl from 1981 forward. The crawl was also reformatted for the music to stay in synchronization. In addition to the reformatting, the new opening crawl also capitalized the word "rebel" in "rebel spies", which was not capitalized in the original 1977 crawl. As a result of the reworked crawl, the initial Star Destroyer flyover was recomposited, removing a thick black matte line.[1]

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_changes_in_Star_Wars_re-releases

1981: Title change[edit]

Like the other films in the series, the 1977 crawl begins to roll before the Star Wars logo dissolves. For the 1981 re-release, the crawl was modified, only beginning after the logo has dissolved; also, the subtitle Episode IV: A NEW HOPE was added to the crawl, one year after The Empire Strikes Back was released. The text was rearranged so that each paragraph did not end with a single word, as well as capitalizing 'Rebel' in 'rebel spies.' As a result of the reworked crawl, the initial Star Destroyer flyover was recomposited, removing a thick black matte line.[4] The Episode IV: A NEW HOPE subtitle would appear in all future releases of the film, theatrical and home video, with the exception being the 2006 bonus DVD release of the unaltered film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_changes_in_Star_Wars_re-releases

For home release the first time it was packaged as Episode 4: A New Hope was the DVD release in 2004

Intro.jpg

http://www.starwars.com/news/collectibles-from-the-outer-rim-star-wars-vhs-releases

J

Last edited by a moderator:
well I stand corrected on RETURN OF THE JEDI I suppose ?? (meaning I believe you but don't remember it that way) I only saw it once in the theater and like I said in an earlier post had my own edited copy of all three movies together .(which edited out all but the first crawl)
the store my father owned at the time was the first in our town to rent out movies one of the first in the country as well so we had the early/first release of the VHS it is crazy to remember those times you had to pay $1000 bucks or more for a single VHS copy in those days. and that was early 80's prices. but I know for a fact THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK had no numerals attached. I watched it in the theater at least 10 times when it first came out . and I suppose I never really watched anything other than those VHS copy's till the prequel's came out. I remember hearing A NEW HOPE for the first time and I thought that was the name for episode II as I had never heard star wars called by that name till after PHANTOM MENACE came out so I am half wrong it seems . I wish he would have had episode IV in 77 just to see everybody try to figure out how they missed the first 3 movies . people would have been very confused .

Last edited:
... but I know for a fact THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK had no numerals attached... so I am half wrong it seems... people would have been very confused .

Sorry - you're all wrong. :)
The Empire Strikes Back had the roman numeral "V" at the beginning of the crawl, when it was released in theaters in 1980.
And it did confuse some people, but not many, because most of us grew up watching the old black-and-white serials it was paying homage to.

I am forced to acquiesce .

I suppose my years of watching my personally edited version of three films into one has skewed my memory on the subject ..

- - - Updated - - -

or your just looking it up on wiki and counting it as gospel ?

I must return to my old answer I used to give for most questions I stole from the alexander movie peter the one eye tells young alexander when he asks a question about the gods.

Who knows these things?

It did. I remember seeing it re-released a few months before Empire opened, with Ep. IV ANH in the crawl.

Sorry,....it was 81 on the re-release of SW after ESB

Link to the post on the previous page: #15450

...and more:
star-wars-its-back-poster.jpg

1980 - Star Wars Strikes Back

In the wake of Empire's success, Lucas tinkers with the original Star Wars for the first time. The most significant (and possibly ominous) change is to the opening crawl, altered to match Empire's: it now bears the subtitle, "Episode IV: A New Hope". The wheels for the prequels have gradually begun to turn. There are also various audio changes made, including a few more growls from Chewbacca, the use of different takes of dialogue and a few more lines from Stormtroopers. The whole thing is re-released in cinemas, complete with a trailer keen to say the words "Star Wars" as many times as possible:

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/star-wars-changes/

J

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back