Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Well, I think both of those may have pulled it from the same Wiki, even SW.com has it the same way. I suppose the real issue is if you are old enough to have seen it in theaters and actually recall that, you probably are old enough to start forgetting things as well. :)

I did see in the Rinzler ESB book that Ep. V was part of drafts from 1978, so although the film was registered as SW II, internally it was already being written as Ep. V and that George had intended STAR WARS to be titled Ep IV from the start but was concerned about audience confusion. According to Rinzler, who I think had done the most thorough and exhausting research on the matter.

Last edited:
damn here we go again
Luke took out Vader who killed a whole school of Jedi and obi wan and Dooku and everybody else who gave any guff . he only did it after he got pissed because Vader mentioned his sister which made him AFRAID for her and ANGRY at Vader. then he went all wakado and only calmed down after taking Vader's hand off and threw his saber away realizing he did not want to kill his father then begged his dad Vader to kill the emperor (just like the emperor did to get Anakin to help against Mace) so his heart did nothing to defeat the emperor except cry out in pain to daddy . so I agree he was a crappy Jedi but a damn fine Sith it seems to me you all did not "see" the movie Lucas was shoving it in our faces and then again with the PT that Luke and Vader went down the same path . I just hope JJ sticks with it

I know
I know

Luke cant be bad he was the hero

nobody thought Vader was his dad either and still we were not sure until Yoda confirmed it. as he could have just been lying which even James Earl Jones says he thought about the whole situation. everyone is acting like star wars is not allowed to throw any surprise's in or something why go see the movie just believe what you want .

then we got Mark sitting around a table in an interview over a decade ago saying how he wants Luke to go bad and JJ sitting at that same table listing and in every interview he says the reason he took the job was because he was interested in what Luke was doing now . then add to that no Luke in the trailer ???

yet it is like it would be the craziest thing ever to happen if Luke found out that once you let the darkness in you cant get it out.

he even went to face the emperor in the first place out of FEAR of loosing his friends

but with every single thing pointing in that direction I am crazy to think it is a least a 50 50 chance they go dark with Luke's character

heck if they don't do something like that then it will be just as good as a PT movie a story you expect no surprise's just a safe story to make a billion off of .

damn here we go again
Luke took out Vader who killed a whole school of Jedi and obi wan and Dooku and everybody else who gave any guff . he only did it after he got pissed because Vader mentioned his sister which made him AFRAID for her and ANGRY at Vader. then he went all wakado and only calmed down after taking Vader's hand off and threw his saber away realizing he did not want to kill his father then begged his dad Vader to kill the emperor (just like the emperor did to get Anakin to help against Mace) so his heart did nothing to defeat the emperor except cry out in pain to daddy . so I agree he was a crappy Jedi but a damn fine Sith it seems to me you all did not "see" the movie Lucas was shoving it in our faces and then again with the PT that Luke and Vader went down the same path . I just hope JJ sticks with it

I know
I know

Luke cant be bad he was the hero

nobody thought Vader was his dad either and still we were not sure until Yoda confirmed it. as he could have just been lying which even James Earl Jones says he thought about the whole situation. everyone is acting like star wars is not allowed to throw any surprise's in or something why go see the movie just believe what you want .

then we got Mark sitting around a table in an interview over a decade ago saying how he wants Luke to go bad and JJ sitting at that same table listing and in every interview he says the reason he took the job was because he was interested in what Luke was doing now . then add to that no Luke in the trailer ???

yet it is like it would be the craziest thing ever to happen if Luke found out that once you let the darkness in you cant get it out.

he even went to face the emperor in the first place out of FEAR of loosing his friends

but with every single thing pointing in that direction I am crazy to think it is a least a 50 50 chance they go dark with Luke's character

heck if they don't do something like that then it will be just as good as a PT movie a story you expect no surprise's just a safe story to make a billion off of .

I'll just say your TFA Luke speculation is wrong and leave it at that. You can come back here in 2 weeks and admit your error.

Well, I think both of those may have pulled it from the same Wiki, even SW.com has it the same way. I suppose the real issue is if you are old enough to have seen it in theaters and actually recall that, you probably are old enough to start forgetting things as well. :)

I did see in the Rinzler ESB book that Ep. V was part of drafts from 1978, so although the film was registered as SW II, internally it was already being written as Ep. V and that George had intended STAR WARS to be titled Ep IV from the start but was concerned about audience confusion. According to Rinzler, who I think had done the most thorough and exhausting research on the matter.

that is why I acquiesce my memory tells me one thing and the internet disagrees

Yep Lucas & Kurtz wanted to Episode it as 4 apparently from the start,....but the studio was concerned for the audiences confusion,...so they backed out and waited for the sequel to be confirmed

There were different prints of Star Wars back then before ESB,....but the differences were audio mixes

The first of George's constant tweaks to the films was changing the title crawl,....after the madness of filming the sequel

that is why I acquiesce my memory tells me one thing and the internet disagrees

Well the internet confirms my memories in this case

J

I'll just say your TFA Luke speculation is wrong and leave it at that. You can come back here in 2 weeks and admit your error.

I totally could be wrong and probably am .
what really sucks eggs is my speculation is off what GL was doing and this is JJ with no help or input from GL so the only way I could know if I am right is to find GL and ask him how he would have gone with it which he probably would not relinquish that information as to not step on the toes of Disney and JJ .

I totally could be wrong and probably am .
what really sucks eggs is my speculation is off what GL was doing and this is JJ with no help or input from GL so the only way I could know if I am right is to find GL and ask him how he would have gone with it which he probably would not relinquish that information as to not step on the toes of Disney and JJ .

I don't think GL and Arendt's initial treatments had a dark Luke either because GL never intended Luke to be dark. Not in ROTJ and not 35 years later. He never saw Luke getting married and having a family based on his dislike for Mara Jade, but the Luke you describe is NOT what GL wrote, produced or intended. Your own your own with that.

if you know for a fact I am wrong means you worked on the movie and if that is the case you are kind of butt for being on this thread to begin with lol like a cat toying with a mouse he may never kill

- - - Updated - - -

and if not then the your wrong is an opinion .any way sorry I always seem to get everybody riled and don't mean too .

- - - Updated - - -

I will try to stick to "safe" topics

I like the shiny storm trooper looking lady yay!

if you know for a fact I am wrong means you worked on the movie and if that is the case you are kind of butt for being on this thread to begin with lol like a cat toying with a mouse he may never kill

- - - Updated - - -

and if not then the your wrong is an opinion .any way sorry I always seem to get everybody riled and don't mean too .

- - - Updated - - -

I will try to stick to "safe" topics

I like the shiny storm trooper looking lady yay!

Have you read the Rinzler "Making of.." books? I have. they are one of the most comprehensive accounts of the films production based on actual notes, recorded conversation, the works. There was some discussion at the time to make Luke become the new Vader but GL insisted the film have a happy ending of redemption for Vader through the love of his son. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own TRUTH.

The issue isn't if your topic is safe, its that it's not well informed.

And Anakin succumbed to his passions and feeling of attachment to try and save Padme whereas Luke pulled away from the same passion and desire to remain a Jedi in the face of the Emperor. He didn't know what would happen next after he threw his saber away, he was trusting in the Force. More to the point, he had faith, Anakin did not.

Last edited:
I don't think GL and Arendt's initial treatments had a dark Luke either because GL never intended Luke to be dark. Not in ROTJ and not 35 years later. He never saw Luke getting married and having a family based on his dislike for Mara Jade, but the Luke you describe is NOT what GL wrote, produced or intended. Your own your own with that.

I understand and respect your opinion.
but nobody can say Luke literally did everything Yoda told him not to do starting with bringing his weapons into the cave to leaving to fight with the rebels and face Vader and the emperor waaaay before they thought he was ready and then did every single thing both Vader and the emperor told him to do to come towards the dark except he refused to kill his father in the end.

Have you read the Rinzler "Making of.." books? I have. they are one of the most comprehensive accounts of the films production based on actual notes, recorded conversation, the works. There was some discussion at the time to make Luke become the new Vader but GL insisted the film have a happy ending of redemption for Vader through the love of his son. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own TRUTH.

The issue isn't if your topic is safe, its that it's not well informed.

yes yes a happy ending Vader redeemed through the love of his son I understand of course it ends on a happy note I

am talking about later the next movie GL would make
Luke let the darkness in Anakin let it in when his mother died but he remained a Jedi for a while . but how did that work out for the rest of the jedi he eventually turned . it is not black and white but according to yoda what he tells Luke during the training is once you go down the path of the dark side it will eventually consume you so then it would mean Yoda the oldest jedi we know of in the cannon was completely WRONG. and I believe yoda knows his stuff more than I believe Luke can flop back and forth in the force at a whim

I understand and respect your opinion.
but nobody can say Luke literally did everything Yoda told him not to do starting with bringing his weapons into the cave to leaving to fight with the rebels and face Vader and the emperor waaaay before they thought he was ready and then did every single thing both Vader and the emperor told him to do to come towards the dark except he refused to kill his father in the end.

Yoda gave him advice which was self serving. He and Ben wanted Luke to do things differently then what Luke did.

yeah like train a bit lol

- - - Updated - - -

it could be GL never ever ever wanted Luke to go to the dark side that just means Yoda and Ben and the rest of the Jedi were spotting complete B.S. for thousands and thousands of years about the dangers of the dark side . O.K. ill buy that too I guess

done and done
what do I get if Luke sticks his saber right through Han and gives everyone the middle finger as he kicks over R2D2 and flys away ? hmmmm LOL

wont bring it up again until I see the movie and then I will either beg forgiveness of my sins or gloat horribly.

I will really be mad if they wait to reveal Luke is Sith in episode IX though

seriously though I have had always had a hard time with star wars fans I like Ewok's, I like Jar-Jar and have always thought Luke had to eventually fall to the dark side.. due to every single decision he made in the last two movies .

Yeah, Star Wars got re-released several times before ESB opened. Prints kept wearing out and new ones had to be struck. A single recomposited shot is a minor tweak compared to some of the various other edits going on at the time -- alternate camera angles or takes, depending on camera/projector format, etc. There's no one true original unaltered version of Star Wars. *heh*

--Jonah

...it is not black and white but according to yoda what he tells Luke during the training is once you go down the path of the dark side it will eventually consume you so then it would mean Yoda the oldest jedi we know of in the cannon was completely WRONG. and I believe yoda knows his stuff more than I believe Luke can flop back and forth in the force at a whim

You're over thinking it.
It's all metaphor, man.
It's really quite simple:
"How will you react?" "What will you do?"
The struggle between the light and dark side is something that happens EVERY DAY in all our lives.
Jedi don't just decide to be light or dark - that is a decision that is made every time they make a decision. Just. like. us.
Will you react in anger and lash out with violence at the person who has just offended you?
Or will you react with empathy and understanding, and try to settle the matter peacefully?
In the symbology of Star Wars, Yoda is the wise man on the mountain - the zen bhuddist at peace with himself and the world around him.
Darth Vader is the warmonger, so strong none can oppose him, and he's drunk with that power.
Luke is the child, learning good from bad, what he's capable of, and what kind of impact he wants to have on the world around him.

THIS is why I hate the prequels so much.
When Star Wars became about midichlorians and miracle births and trade disputes and political maneuvering and giant frikkin' armies of clones and Jedi waving their phalluses at each other and a high-born beautiful princess falling in love with a creepy baby-killer IT FORGOT WHAT IT WAS. George Lucas forgot what it was.

Star Wars is a simple story about how one seemingly inconsequential farm boy can, through his choices,
change the world around him and make it a better place. It's that simple.
Luke would never turn dark. As much as you want that to happen, it never will. Luke's smarter than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back