Fantastic Four

coy , i honestly have no hope for critics as a whole ( IGN and their bias RATING system that needs to be bribed ; or how a lot of movie critics get paid to praise a film that is garbage ...AIRBENDER / AFTER EARTH /DEVIL as prime examples ) .

as far as my mom , well she sat though all the marvel movies including X-final stand and GREEN LANTERN and liked those , she didnt complain once cus she has no issue with it as long as the story is good ( now we can argue about plot development til the mods come home , but plots are fickle things that change as the FILM COMPANIES do to suite the bigger audiance ...LIKE thor 2 when the entire malketh backstory was killed cus disney didnt like Odin being the villain and starting the war with malkeths peaceful people)

so ill try and clarify : DIE HARD FANS are the ones who nitpick everything wrong like EVERYTHING WRONG WITH HUNGERGAMES IN 5 MINUTES OR LESS who simply have nothing better to do than to talk smack rather than do their own adaption of the subject . (WTF LOL : predator dark ages is a perfect example of fan film done right / ASH VS DC DEAD is another )

for more clarification on HOW scumbaggy critics are and why i dont care about their POV , i suggest you watch simpsons GUESS WHOSE COMING TO CRITICIZE DINNER where homer was a good person and got his dream job as a critic , THEN got screwed over by selfish FRAKKERS who sabotajed him cus he was not a *CENSORED* like the rest of them to take advantage of the free food.

sory if this makes a little sense but i tried to hit all points man .

1. Yes. Many comic fans (including me) were skeptical and openly critical from the start.
2. But just as many comic fans were defending (or remaining neutral about) JT from the start - mainly on the strength of Chronicle.
3. Movie and Comic blogs, forums and podcasts were actually hopeful, if not positive, about the trailers.
4. I never heard any pre-release slamming from film critics.
5. I think this film got a very fair chance.

No matter what Fox is currently saying about moving ahead with the sequel, I think there's a good chance this goes to back to Marvel. If we look at Marvel's lowest opening weekends - Blade, Ghost Rider, Punisher, Daredevil, Elektra, Howard the Duck - they are all now back with Marvel. Probably unfair to include Blade on that list since those movies were R-rated but it did migrate back to Marvel like the others. FF ranks 8th lowest and sits behind Blade 2 and DD. Studios generally don't hold onto rights for the sake of it, especially when Fox is facing a possible $60 writedown for FF and the franchise is seeing a downward spiral. Certainly FF's publication numbers haven't been encouraging either (which studio execs do look at) and Marvel is making every effort to make sure it stays that way.

From a brand standpoint though, FF is as bad as it gets. 3 critically panned films and the last one opened to less than half the domestic box office of its predecessors. If Marvel does get the rights back, it may make more sense for them to re-build the brand by including the FF in other films before announcing a solo film. That's basically what they're doing with Hulk right now and could work with FF, though them being a team will complicate this effort.

One thing's for sure - if FF goes back to Marvel, we could see Galactus or Kang as the post-Thanos antagonist as early as Phase 4.

Howard the Duck is a masterpiece compared to this movie just from the reviews lol

But I can't help but wonder - maybe certain comics just don't belong as full-length movies. I didn't think either of the Hulk movies were really BAD at all. The character just works better in smaller doses. Look at the F4, Dr. Doom . . . these characters are so friggin' cheesy and oddball that you have to wonder if they really belong as headliners. Some things just won't work in cinema like they do in comics.

I don't think level of cheese has anything to do with it. We've had legitimately good Spider-Man and Captain America movies and if you think about it, those characters and designs in the source materials are pretty cheesy. Marvel was able to pull off a talking raccoon and walking tree, I'd like to think they can make FF relevant and cool again.

coy , i honestly have no hope for critics as a whole ( IGN and their bias RATING system that needs to be bribed ; or how a lot of movie critics get paid to praise a film that is garbage ...AIRBENDER / AFTER EARTH /DEVIL as prime examples ) .

as far as my mom , well she sat though all the marvel movies including X-final stand and GREEN LANTERN and liked those , she didnt complain once cus she has no issue with it as long as the story is good ( now we can argue about plot development til the mods come home , but plots are fickle things that change as the FILM COMPANIES do to suite the bigger audiance ...LIKE thor 2 when the entire malketh backstory was killed cus disney didnt like Odin being the villain and starting the war with malkeths peaceful people)

so ill try and clarify : DIE HARD FANS are the ones who nitpick everything wrong like EVERYTHING WRONG WITH HUNGERGAMES IN 5 MINUTES OR LESS who simply have nothing better to do than to talk smack rather than do their own adaption of the subject . (WTF LOL : predator dark ages is a perfect example of fan film done right / ASH VS DC DEAD is another )

for more clarification on HOW scumbaggy critics are and why i dont care about their POV , i suggest you watch simpsons GUESS WHOSE COMING TO CRITICIZE DINNER where homer was a good person and got his dream job as a critic , THEN got screwed over by selfish FRAKKERS who sabotajed him cus he was not a ***** like the rest of them to take advantage of the free food.

- - - Updated - - -

for more clarification on HOW scumbaggy critics are and why i dont care about their POV , i suggest you watch simpsons GUESS WHOSE COMING TO CRITICIZE DINNER where homer was a good person and got his dream job as a critic , THEN got screwed over by selfish FRAKKERS who sabotajed him cus he was not a *CENSORED* like the rest of them to take advantage of the free food.

It's not just critics. When I looked last night, it was only had a 25% on the audience score. Better than the critics... but not by a whole hell of a lot.

guys ill be ok being in the minority who liked it
( BUT beside the obvious WE IN HOLYWOOD CANT HAVE SUE AND JOHNY BE INTERACIAL i had no issue with it) i mean come the FRAGGLE ON .... you making that close of a relation but still had to play it THAT way on screen including the BLACK STEPBROTHER STEREOTYPE ,wtf.

i swear to GOD if sophie has a english accent in Xmen 5 (fc,dofp,x1,x2 is my reality) i will lose my ***T, shes hot and all but WTF atleast make an attempt like emila and maisie do .

could be worse like what WES said ( shamalan coulda robbed another company like he did paramount in airbender, by making this film on his *ranch* in PA )

The ideal way to right the FF ship...

Avengers Infinity War.

Tony makes a call, an older gentleman that looks nothing like Miles Tellers, complete with graying temples answers.

Tony: "Reed, we need your help."

Sometime later, they show up in the Fantasticar... with Johnny flying around, leaving a flame trail.

guys ill be ok being in the minority who liked it
( BUT beside the obvious WE IN HOLYWOOD CANT HAVE SUE AND JOHNY BE INTERACIAL i had no issue with it) i mean come the FRAGGLE ON .... you making that close of a relation but still had to play it THAT way on screen including the BLACK STEPBROTHER STEREOTYPE ,wtf.

i swear to GOD if sophie has a english accent in Xmen 5 (fc,dofp,x1,x2 is my reality) i will lose my ***T, shes hot and all but WTF atleast make an attempt like emila and maisie do .

could be worse like what WES said ( shamalan coulda robbed another company like he did paramount in airbender, by making this film on his *ranch* in PA )
I do have a problem with the casting of Sue and Johnny, but that doesn't make me racist.
The "interracial" nature of their relationship adds absolutely nothing to the film plotwise or thematically. As an explicit departure from the source material it just comes across as JT's intent on bringing his buddy into the movie.

Not that Jordan isn't a good actor, because he is. But if you want to talk about harmful stereotypes that role actually does more harm than good. Why does Johnny have to be an impulsive, hotheaded misfit whose Caucasian sister is the upstanding responsible one?

If the characters didn't unwittingly (?) fuel a weary stereotype or if they even had some genuine sibling chemistry then I would be happy to eat my words. But JT did nothing more than insert Jordan and rely on the casting alone to carry the statement.

I do have a problem with the casting of Sue and Johnny, but that doesn't make me racist.
The "interracial" nature of their relationship adds absolutely nothing to the film plotwise or thematically. As an explicit departure from the source material it just comes across as JT's intent on bringing his buddy into the movie.

Not that Jordan isn't a good actor, because he is. But if you want to talk about harmful stereotypes that role actually does more harm than good. Why does Johnny have to be an impulsive, hotheaded misfit whose Caucasian sister is the upstanding responsible one?

If the characters didn't unwittingly (?) fuel a weary stereotype or if they even had some genuine sibling chemistry then I would be happy to eat my words. But JT did nothing more than insert Jordan and rely on the casting alone to carry the statement.

bro i didnt say that , its just how holywood works ( AIRBENDER with the TWO white kids in an entire village of tanned people , fire nation with the ONE white kid who had the only speaking role) or DBZ USA / TEKKEN USA *which should speak for themselves on casting lol *

1) NOTHING WRONG WITH NEPOTISM if the person is good ( a example of a crappy NEPOTISM casting is godfather 3 : aka the cashgrab )

2) well that whole black male text book had to be done since BEN barely got a word out in the film ( being the broody guy and such) and kate well either she didnt know what she signed up for or fanboys just cut her down cus she didnt have the JESS ALBA vibe or curves lol ; somewhere the white sibling has to be the responsible one ( WHILE the other has to be the wildcard , thanks racism )

3) maybe we will see something better in a POSSIBLE directors cut , cus it may happen like the PRODUCER CUT of halloween : curse of mike right ?

4) chemistry .... lmao *beats a dead horse
HAYDEN/PORTMAN team up*

Last edited by a moderator:

for more clarification on HOW scumbaggy critics are and why i dont care about their POV , i suggest you watch simpsons GUESS WHOSE COMING TO CRITICIZE DINNER where homer was a good person and got his dream job as a critic , THEN got screwed over by selfish FRAKKERS who sabotajed him cus he was not a ***** like the rest of them to take advantage of the free food.

It's OK to like a movie no one else likes. There really is nothing wrong with that. I thought Big Trouble was a truly great film and I doubt most of the people here even heard of it, it tanked so bad. No need to justify it.

But, in your justification, what you're saying is nonsense. You know that right? Die hard fans are die hard fans because were the ones who actually like these movies.

When fans of the genre don't like the movie you're making IN THAT GENRE, you're movie is in trouble, no matter whose mom liked it.

you would be surprised AJ , the minority of die hard fans who are militant and ALWAYS ARE RIGHT regardless of other pov's represent the top of the fanbase or the Face of the fanbase if you will.

dont have a clue how to read RT and i wont even try ... i was on ithe site in 09 but rarely got the whole rating system 1-5 stars i can get but fresh ... tooo complicated so i quit it .
a lot of people hated FURY ROAD ( for whatever reason ) personally as a fan of the road warrior it was perfect , a 2 hr carchase with enough of THUNDERDOME and HUMONGUS to mix well.

Die hard fans are die hard fans because were the ones who actually like these movies.

and with that we reach a stalemate ...ill agree to dissageree

On a serious note.. one person liking it doesn't matter.

One person disliking it doesn't matter.

The audience as a whole is what matters. Film critics and the general audience both walked away with a poor opinion of this movie. It has nothing to do with "die hard comic fans." A bad movie is a bad movie.

My hope is that if Fox is too stubborn to give/sell the rights back to Marvel/Disney, they would at least try to recoup some of their losses by making a deal that allows Galactus and the Silver Surfer be involved when Infinity War comes around. And maybe even the Shi'ar Empire since I think they would fall under the X-Men umbrella. Would love to see Gladiator and the Imperial Guard in an MCU flick.

My hope is that if Fox is too stubborn to give/sell the rights back to Marvel/Disney, they would at least try to recoup some of their losses by making a deal that allows Galactus and the Silver Surfer be involved when Infinity War comes around. And maybe even the Shi'ar Empire since I think they would fall under the X-Men umbrella. Would love to see Gladiator and the Imperial Guard in an MCU flick.

As I said in the Post-Release FF thread.. Fox doesn't actually own the rights to the Fantastic Four. A German company called Constantin Films does. Fox only has distribution rights.

Fox has no power to make a deal like that, where Sony, which owns the actual film rights of Spider-Man, can.

So the questions is how will Constantin handle such a phenomal flop? If they do resort to selling the rights, will Marvel be the ones to purchase them?

What's stopping Sony from deciding they want creative control over the franchise... If nothing else, just to strike a deal how they did with Spider-Man? What's stopping Fox from purchasing them just to spite Marvel?

It is certainly an interesting predicament, and with a sequel still technically in the books at this current moment, it can go anywhere.

The frustrating thing for me is how interconnected it all is -- especially X-Men and Avengers. They've done some slight of hand to get Magneto's kids into the MCU, but it goes much further. Rogue was originally introduced in Avengers. She later seriously screwed up Ms. Marvel/Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers), who ended up getting new powers and joining the Starjammers (definitely X-Men, what with them working in Shi'ar space and led by Cyclops' dad). The Avengers found Jean's cocoon and handed it over to Reed for study. And when you get into the Ultimate universe that Fox's X-Men and Marvel Studios have taken more than a little inspiration from, they set things up to be, if anything, even more interconnected (I love the moment when Johnny exuberantly sotto voce's to Ben, "Dude! Thor wants to buy us beer!").

I keep looking at the upcoming Infinity Gauntlet stuff with a worried cringe, because I want Galactus and Silver Surfer to be there. I want to see Wolverine in the Avengers. I want to see She-Hulk in the Fantastic Four. Hell, I want to see Rom in anything -- I'm looking at you, Mattel. :angry I've seen people mention they hope X-Men: Apocalypse sows the seeds for Onslaught -- but remember that Onslaught incapacitated all the mutants who tried to stop him/it. It was ultimately the Avengers and FF that were able to stop him (and Franklin Richards who saved them all).

So yeah. I don't think either cinematic franchise will ever be able to be wholly complete without the other.

--Jonah

As I said in the Post-Release FF thread.. Fox doesn't actually own the rights to the Fantastic Four. A German company called Constantin Films does. Fox only has distribution rights.

Fox has no power to make a deal like that, where Sony, which owns the actual film rights of Spider-Man, can.

So the questions is how will Constantin handle such a phenomal flop? If they do resort to selling the rights, will Marvel be the ones to purchase them?

What's stopping Sony from deciding they want creative control over the franchise... If nothing else, just to strike a deal how they did with Spider-Man? What's stopping Fox from purchasing them just to spite Marvel?

It is certainly an interesting predicament, and with a sequel still technically in the books at this current moment, it can go anywhere.

I'm sure the contract signed by Marvel dictates that if who ever has the rights decides to stop making movies the rights revert back to Marvel. I highly doubt the right can be sold to someone else. I could be wrong though, but I seriously doubt it.

That last tweet by Trank really tipped this over the edge.

It would have merely been a crappy bomb of a movie that made no impression and faded quickly. But now the failure story has eclipsed the movie itself.

The crap movie + the rumored on-set trouble + the tweet = Trank will probably never get another big movie.

Fox is probably wishing they had just sent Roger Corman another check right about now. They could have been out of this for only a few million bucks and no big embarrassment.

After watching the Fant-Four-Stick movie (love that, by the way), I have to agree with Stuckmann's review.

It really did feel like they were constantly building towards a movie that never happened.

It's a shame, too, given that both Miles Teller and Kate Mara are good at their jobs.

Honestly, watching the two of them on screen, I got a case of deja vu. It was like seeing Natalie Portman and Liam Neeson in The Phantom Menace.

All are good at their jobs (admittedly, Portman and Neeson are tons better due to both talent and experience levels) and all were criminally underutilized by a bad production.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back