ROTJ Vader hilt and buyer's remorse (sorta)

Well the original DOES have a chrome look to it (possibly from tape), and I've heard if you want a great chrome look, you can go gloss black, then light chrome spray over... I've never tried it, but sounds interesting.

I think even the Licensed ROTJ didn't have a brushed look. I think it was chrome shiny.

From what I can tell they most often do have a shiny-chrome like appearance. The MR version is shiny but has a brushed-aluminum appearance as well.

I'd do the chrome tape method but my concern with that is the seams that would be created and also covering the holes with tape may become funky trying to get it all to curve in and whatnot cleanly

I would slide another slightly smaller chrome plumbing tube inside and screw the bolts to that if the holes aren't too large. Id go with the chrome paint. wont really look like chrome but more aluminum looking. then spray a clear over it. That way you wont get marks or fingerprints. use a matte finish.

I would slide another slightly smaller chrome plumbing tube inside and screw the bolts to that if the holes aren't too large. Id go with the chrome paint. wont really look like chrome but more aluminum looking. then spray a clear over it. That way you wont get marks or fingerprints. use a matte finish.

Na, I can't. Both halves appear to be welded together and the interior has some sort of solid tube or filler inside of it. Good idea about the paint though...silver/chrome naturally don't like clear coat. I'm wondering if I do that, if I go really high grit and wetsand the clear coat I can get a fairly decent "shine" to a degree.

I was going to ask as well, for the black band that goes around the main body w/ the control box, what material do you guys usually use? I know normally it's a clamp like the other versions, not sure it's viable for this.

Also, the control box I do have, I was looking at it again..the out-side (longest sides) have metal plates and the center is either wood or some kind of resin

It definitely looks like brass to me. Once a tube gets mangled and modified as much as this particular saber requires, it'd be very difficult to verify if it is genuine Graflex. But I haven't seen anything here that shouts "not Graflex" to me.

It definitely looks like brass to me. Once a tube gets mangled and modified as much as this particular saber requires, it'd be very difficult to verify if it is genuine Graflex. But I haven't seen anything here that shouts "not Graflex" to me.

I'm gonna leave it as ambiguous. There's not enough to verify it is, yet, not enough to disprove it...so a mystery graflex :/

Eh ordered some of the proper sized socket heads.

Just gonna try and finish this up. I think I'll use some magic sculpt to close the gaps to fit the accurate size. Need to push this out

Wow. I have seen some people pass off some **** before but wow. Neo isn't wrong though. It would be fun to rework that. Bring it down to base and build it back up. Keep posting pics of your progress though and take your time. It'll work out nicely.

Maybe that Alclad silver paint might work.
Ive heard people say it looks great.

The good thing about this saber is that looking like crap is part of what makes it cool, so you woupdnt need to fix it perfectly.

I got a pretty beat up graflex years ago and managed to get this out of it -
149903DE-3E84-4AAE-9B6F-FBE0A582B5F2_zpsfoizhdgq.png

Plan out carefully and take your time and it should work out.

For the life of me, I can't understand why people would want a replica of a stunt version that even has the ugly blade retaining screws all over the place. Why not just the ESB model?

Only can speak for me ..... if you have made the Heros from all or many original parts, there is a moment their clean look gets boring (at least for me).

Then you start to look (and build) for the more obscure sabers, as their "ugly" appearance makes them also more interesting. Everyone wants the Heros, too much out there who own them, but we few that like the others are a small and much more exclusive group of peers. :D

I've always loved this saber... WAY more interesting to me than the ESB Graflex, and I prefer it to the MPP...

I like it so much I did the old online tutorial for making one...

14302054452_825fccc415_c.jpg

14302082522_d6f5fca8d5_c.jpg

I would LOVE to get the MR version, but it has WAY too big a price tag attached....

A have another that's complete, built on a Graflex Reborn, and one on a beat up real graflex, but I'm missing the shroud and a few more parts...

It'd be cool to see where this one is currently at... Updates?!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back