BTTF Plutonium Case Thread

I got my Anvil case! The actual specs I used are a bit bigger than we had discussed here; they're listed below for anyone interested. Then I got some RADIOACTIVE stickers and had some PLUTONIUM HANDLE WITH CARE decals made. Add a canister or two of weapons grade plutonium and we're good to go! :lol

BackToTheFuturePlutoniumCase-rkp2a.jpg

Here are the dimensions I used for my revised Anvil case order:
1/4" yellow ABS
23 x 16 3/8 x 13 1/8" (ball corner to ball corner).
12 cylindrical foam cutouts, each 3 1/4" diameter x 5" deep.

I should also note that the plutonium canister and remote are by Bruce Coulombe!

Randy

Last edited:
Oh yeah, to take us back to the start of this thread:

The total cost of this case including the foam insert and decals is under $350.

This is awesome.. So want and need one.. Should get them to have what you got as the RPF version, so we can contact them and ask for the RPF version.. :lol

This is awesome.. So want and need one.. Should get them to have what you got as the RPF version, so we can contact them and ask for the RPF version.. :lol

Ha! Actually I believe Anvil did save the specs as 'BTTF Plutonium Case Rev. 1'. The item number for this design is ATAH16000639 (I just looked it up from my purchase order).

Once I got the Radioactive stickers ( 4 x 4", 5 5/8" tip to tip), it became clear that the case needed to be a bit bigger than originally planned in order for the decals to fit with the same proportions as seen on screen.

Well, I probably wouldn't have changed the dimensions of the case to match the stickers, since the ones on eBay arn't the exact same as the one seen in the film.

Well, I probably wouldn't have changed the dimensions of the case to match the stickers, since the ones on eBay arn't the exact same as the one seen in the film.

I think the Radioactive stickers are actually the same size as those seen in the film. There are some minor differences (larger number '7', different sticker distributor markings along the very bottom), but otherwise the same. Although my case may be a *smidge* too large, a 21 x 15 x 12 case is definitely and noticeably too small.

There are other things about my case that aren't perfectly screen accurate, of course. If I were even more obsessive (my wife thinks I'm crazy as it is), I'd rip off the modern Anvil nameplate, find a vintage one somewhere, and put that on there instead. And the letter spacing of the Plutonium decal could be a little closer together. And there have been some subtle changes to the latches since the 80s. And it could probably stand to be weathered a bit.

But I'm not going to do any of that stuff! :lol:lol:lol

Remember we were talking about the spaces of the rivets? Even though you changed the size of the case, the size, shape and rivets seems perfect!!! Was this intentional? Maybe you actually just nailed the proper size of the case! To me, its looks perfect!

Thanks for the info on the remote..... I live near him, I never knew someone with great stuff like this lived here.

Remember we were talking about the spaces of the rivets? Even though you changed the size of the case, the size, shape and rivets seems perfect!!! Was this intentional?

Yes. Just before finalizing the order, the Anvil rep and I compared the known rivet spacing and latch dimensions with the screen-used case, and decided to tweak the case measurements up by about 10% as compared to the original discussion. Also, I felt that the replica case that Bruce offers, at 21 x 15 x 12", just looks too small.

Wow, that case looks great. I've got some stickers coming (though from your version it looks like I might need another set), and I've been looking for a used case on eBay (tight budget), but yours definitely sets the bar!

Yes. Just before finalizing the order, the Anvil rep and I compared the known rivet spacing and latch dimensions with the screen-used case, and decided to tweak the case measurements up by about 10% as compared to the original discussion. Also, I felt that the replica case that Bruce offers, at 21 x 15 x 12", just looks too small.

Ah I see, well I thank you for doing the leg work on this and I hope your specs are in fact saved somewhere at Anvil.

So I wanted to take a shot at making this and instead of guessing at the dims, try to get some concrete evidence ...

The unit Bruce produced was said to have been made from the production dims.

The unit rkpetersen made was based on photo metrics (from what I can tell)

both look GREAT but not perfect. Take a look at the comparisons I have been looking at below....

specifically pay attention to the spacing and relevant placement of the rivits for the top horizonal L bar, between the two front latches.

This area on the screen used case matches Bruces. RKPETERSENs seems to be a little too long (the spacing between the front latches seems off).

I know that the stickers used for this case were acquired from a prop house, and I have some of these same stickers from the SAME prop house en route to confirm the size of the, to the size of the currently available nuclear warning stickers. I wonder if the sizing may be off , which in turn would throw off our dimensions of the box.

I just bought a vintage Anvil stock case from eBay (a stock case is made form proprietary dimensions and has a serial number). Think about HOW they would have made this case ... it GOTTA be a found part that was modified. Why on earth would they re-invent the wheel and make a custom case?

This bring me back to what "The Dude" was saying about the case being used for lens' .... check out the last attachment ...

Both Bruce and RK are SO CLOSE but since they are custom, I think we are missing a stock dim ... SO the question now is , what are standardized lens cases in and around these dims? I got a guy at Anvil looking into this now.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back