BTTF Plutonium Case Thread

Quick update:

1. Movie continuity suggests to me that there are two otherwise identical plutonium cases, one with the Handle With Care warning, the other without. If true, we only ever see the contents of the one without the warning. The other case could even be empty.

2. Anvil tells me that the distance between rivets is exactly 3". That would make the outer dimensions of the screen used case or cases approximately 21 x 15 x 12 (perhaps 21 x 16 x 12) inches, which also happen to be the dimensions of Bruce Coulombe's case. So I think this is probably pretty accurate.

3. The price I was quoted was without the handle on the top, only side handles. (But there's also a discount to be applied.) Stay tuned for updates.

Randy

"thegreatgalling" sent me a PM about my blu-ray copy of the film, but his PM box is full and it wont let me send it so i'm posting this here. Just a quick snippet from my copy. Here's some pictures of the Plutonium Case. They're 1280x720 so it's too big for the viewer window, have to open it in a new tab for full size.

Last edited:
That looks to be an Anvil case. Anvil being the company that makes them not what goes in them. Very common equipment shipping case. They build them in whatever shape you want.

http://www.anvilcase.com/

That one I bet would run about $350 new.

Micdavis...I completely forgot about Anvil. (We used KEAL more than Anvil because they were cheaper and sometimes better when it came to the video edit systems we used them for.)
And the price sounds about right...unless you buy in bulk and you may get a better price.

Anyway...it is a Anvil case without a doubt.

In this image that SPIKE posted look closely at the bottom right corner of the case below the latch. That is the black metal label with silver lettering Anvil uses to identify their cases. If you look closely you can make out the "VIL"

Ok...this is my theory....

There is a well known Rental House based in L.A. called Clairmont Camera that specializes in renting film (and now digital) cameras and equipment for major motion pictures.

They are known for their yellow cases to house their cameras and lenses.

The case in question actually looks like a prime lens case.

I would not be surprised if Clairmont equipment was rented for the movie, and the case was a last minute idea for the Plutonium case.

The person here who has contacted Anvil...

Ask them if they supply...or supplied at one time...cases for Clairmont Camera. And if they did...ask them if they have prime lens cases that are similar.
(Keep in mind...when Clairmont ordered the hi-end Arri film cameras and Zeiss lenses, Arri may have actually procured the cases as well. So Arri may have contacted Anvil directly.)

Anyway...just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
This is the only shot I could find that shows part of the backside where you can see the hinges, might be useful in identifying it.

Update:

Thanks Dude for info and Spike for the pix. It's pretty clear now that the original case was an Anvil. I actually had noticed that black and silver plaque affixed to the lower right of the case, and also that some (but not all) Anvil cases come with a plaque like that, but couldn't read the text until now. It clearly does read 'VIL' in that one screenshot. When I talked to the Anvil guy, I mentioned the plaque and he said that they can leave it off if I don’t like it. No, no, no, I said, we need that plaque there!

As it happens, I was already convinced that the screen used case was an Anvil, both from the 1980s timing, and from the exact way the case is constructed. The position of the latches is slightly different on the Anvil than on the Keal, and matches the screen used one precisely while the Keal does not. I don't know what kind of case Bruce C is using, but his doesn't match the screen used one either (which is actually the reason I haven't just bought one of his, despite the price).

So, a yellow Anvil ATA case, 21 x 15 x 12 inches, 1/4" ABS, standard latches, handles sides and top, with grey foam inserts top and bottom, is $299 plus approx $21 shipping via UPS. Call Anvil at 626-405-2803 and ask for Frank Vasquez, if you're interested in ordering one. He is totally down with making this case as screen accurate as possible.

EDIT: See adjusted dimensions several posts down.

I've also ordered some Radioactive decals that are very close to accurate from a seller on ebay, here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110237737393&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

And I've ordered two plutonium canisters from Bruce C. (Not going to buy all 12 at once!)

So the only thing left to do is get the proper size 'Plutonium Handle With Care' decals. I'd like to get these already properly lined up on a backing so I can just transfer the whole phrase together, rather than doing each individual letter separately (I’d never get them lined up perfectly that way.) There are a couple of ebay sellers who likely could do this easily but I haven't contacted any yet. If somebody here has the skills and equipment to do it, that would be even better.

Oh, I mentioned Clairmont Camera to the Anvil rep. He didn't know offhand if Anvil supplied cases to them directly; Anvil cases were apparently sold through quite a few different dealers at the time.

Randy

Last edited:
Randy, you are officially the best. I think you closed the book on the prop which is prettyyyy prettyyy prettyyyy amazing. Look forward to ordering one really soon.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in as well.

Thanks Meta! I have to take a look at those when I get home from work.

I've had some correct 'PLUTONIUM HANDLE WITH CARE' decal sets made up, and should have my case tricked out soon. Will definitely post pix here, probably next week.

Randy

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back