ZK's ZF-1 research thread

Re: ZK's ZF-1 reasearch/build thread

I've been wanting to contribute here as I'm working on a ZF-1 build of my own and have been admiring ZombieKiller's info here as well.
I think I finally have something that I haven't seen anyone else talk about but will eventually have to be dealt with:
The LED sequencing of the display on the top of the ZF-1.
I know some of the images are a bit miss-shapen.
I was focusing on the sequence of the LED's and trying to make everything fit on one page.
LEDsequenceforZF1sight.jpg

The LED's in frames 2, 5 and 6 appear to be "Ghosting" or not going completely out before the next set lights up.
It really has a way of playing tricks on the eye so I thought it best to take these images directly from the film.
Thoughts?

Looks great, Thanks Mutant. That lens looks like it is from a 3rd brake light.

On a different front, It was driving me nuts trying to remember where i had seen the round trim on the side of the ZF1. I have horn button etched in my brain. I found one from a Bronco but it is wrong, but it is close looking.

Last edited:

Great thread!

Its great to to finally know what some of the pieces are.

A nice project to start!

LDR

ZombieKiller---

How about dimensions for that part?
I'm finding that a few of the pieces for this are going to be much easier to have machined so...dimensions are a must.

I'm all for trying to get the actual pieces where I can but a good example of need for substitution:
The light up buttons on either side of the front (red and yellow) as sourced from England have a prohibitively high voltage and at more than $30 a piece + shipping?

It was much easier and cheaper to pick them up locally and trick them out to look like the originals...

Just noticed another difference on the screencaps. Some pics have the decals on the yellow rocket, where as some dont.

With regards to the light sequence the lens looks almost like a motorbike brake light.

Where the original props made in England? If so i presume most of the found parts would be sourced in the UK?

Lewis

lol, I dropped one of those a bit ago and broke the nozzle off which then ended up in my bitz box - how handy. :D

SAS

Hey Mutant, i have no idea how big the horn button is, i didn't order one, they are $80+ and not correct. I'm guessing 3-4".

Those lights from england come in 12v also i think. I plan on using just the housing and a white LED for extended battery life.

That would have to be pretty small diameter shower hose!
I'm not making the cabling on mine any larger than 8mm which is what it looks to be in the film.

The hoses always looked like 1/4" Chrome split loom to me.

The Split loom is what I used, but I must admit the chrome finish always seemed too shiny. 'nolimitsmotorsports-2008' is a good source for chrome split loom on ebay.

Got an Estes rocket in. The tip portion is about 5 3/8" long and the shouldered end is 1 1/4" dia, 1/2" long (not including the tapered part) . So the rocket tube should be 1 1/4 ID and 1 3/8" OD and is tapered for the last 1/2" from 1 3/8" OD to 1 5/16" OD. A piece 7" long gets it close to the AK trigger guard. Next will be the torch head.
and the oligatory pic....

DSC01580Medium.jpg

I have got the rocket tip to, and some metal tube. And i believe looking at the pics there is a slight lip at the join of the rocket and tubing.

So i think (which is what ive done), the connector part of the rocket which sits into the cardboard tube has been cut off, and the metal tube on the ZF-1 sits inside the rocket nose. Which fits with a nice tight fit.

Hope that makes sense.

Lewis

Last edited:

Looking at this pic you can see what i mean. I think the aluminum tube was turned down so the last 1/2" tapers down to the size of the rocket. Then they probably taped up the tube and painted the tip and the last bit of the aluminum tube yellow.

Last edited:

I didnt notice the taper on the tube before.

Looks like it was tapered to fit it into the end of the rocket.

So why do you think they've put tape around the end, where the uneven yellow line is? And painted that extra yellow on?

Would it be tape to make a tighter fit for the rocket to slip onto? and maybe the tape wasnt yellow, and had to be painted yellow, as thye couldnt paint chrome? Which would explain the not very straight line?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back