ZK's ZF-1 research thread

Re: ZK's ZF-1 reasearch/build thread

Well this pic pretty much proves the Maglite theory! :lol
Great shot of the flamer assembly and rocket area as well.

-G

ZF1b.jpg
http://www.scifiguns.com/pictures/ZF1b.jpg

Well this pic pretty much proves the Maglite theory! :lol
Great shot of the flamer assembly and rocket area as well.

-G

ZF1b.jpg
http://www.scifiguns.com/pictures/ZF1b.jpg

Awesome pic, thanks Grief. That gun is a bit of an oddball. The part in between the rocket and the barrel is different, It has no yellow light on the left side but looks like it has a brass knob next to it instead. Maybe the flamethrower valve. It looks like this one has the pop out dart pods. It's also missing the aluminum side arms. Paint job is very close to the live fire gun but not exactly the same. Any idea where this pic is from?

ZK

welcome to the club :cool

all i got was sports socks:angry

Awesome pic, thanks Grief. That gun is a bit of an oddball. The part in between the rocket and the barrel is different, It has no yellow light on the left side but looks like it has a brass knob next to it instead. Maybe the flamethrower valve. It looks like this one has the pop out dart pods. It's also missing the aluminum side arms. Paint job is very close to the live fire gun but not exactly the same. Any idea where this pic is from?

ZK

I think that's the either the "history channel" gun, or the one that we've seen that I theorize to be built up by someone who worked on the movie. But yeah, there are some things on THAT gun that are not found on ANY of the screen-seen pieces. So don't put TOO Much stock in any "discoveries" you make based on those pics.

I don't think it's the History Channel gun. The HC gun is wrong in alot of ways. Actually there are more things wrong with it than right. The one Grief posted is not far off . It gives me the impression it was a stunt gun, maybe one of the functioning guns where function trumped finish. All the main parts look correct, some the flamethrower parts look to be a little different. I wonder if this was the flamethrower gun and it needed all the extra bits to work. It has the brass valve on the left side and an extra brass tube that comes out of the top of the "clippard valve".
Also that bump on the lip of the upper half of the pod is a good identifier. I will try to get back on this project at the begining of next month. I need to print off some more screen caps and see if i can match the oddities and paint job with something on the screen.

ZK

Because of the diagonal reflector between the rocket and barrel, it looks like the model used to threaten Zorg.

wow, this is by FAR one of the coolest threads i have seen a long time. really great work and the attention to detail on this gun is nuts!! just wow, cant wait to see how this turns out in the end.

Because of the diagonal reflector between the rocket and barrel, it looks like the model used to threaten Zorg.

i would have to disagree with that, there looks to be too many differences.

-z

I've rethought my first impression of that gun and I think it was one of the guns in an uncompleted stage. Before they put the side arms on and the light. The only differences i see are the block in between the barrel and rocket. Superkrates' pic shows that block and it looks right. The other diff was the brass knob on the side. After looking over screencaps i noticed the ZF1 Zorg carries near the end of the movie also has this brass knob. Weird, i never noticed that damn knob before but there it is. Here is a close up of Zorgs gun. OK so instead of finding a part we add one to be found. WOW this is fun!!!

Last edited:

I had someone ask Simon Atherton about the gun a few years ago. It was explained to me that the History Channel ZF-1 was built by an intern student working in the shop using original shells and a few left over pieces. The rest of it was constructed with a little creative license. I own 4 polaroids of the finished piece when it was sitting in Simon's shop but only found out after purchasing them that they were of the intern project and not the real thing.

I started working on my shell. Forgot how much fun it is to cut fiberglass. :sick

zf1cut.jpg

Looking good Griefboy, i'm still trying to decide how i want to proceed with that cutting part. Do you have any closeups of the torch end? Is it threaded or?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back