ZK's ZF-1 research thread

Thanks for the comps guys.

I have a bit more done. I built a viewer hood for the LCD and mounted it to the front panel. Got the rear panel mounted in the pod, scanning leds wired up and also the front scanner mounted too. I just hot glued the front in a few places. Just enough to hold it good but in a way so that if there are problems i can remove it for repair. Also used a dab to hold the front circuit board to the pod side. Oh and made the front scanner window, just some thin lexan wet sanded well on both sides. Tested out the LCD display too to make sure it looks good and thats about it for now, i can't mount the LCD/camera or the wireless board w/relays until i have it mounted to the sidearms and have the center parts made to hold the top section on.

Viewer hood, made with black styrene.
DSC00872Large.jpg

DSC00875Large.jpg

DSC00882Large.jpg

Front scanner window.

DSC00886Large.jpg

DSC00887Large.jpg

Guts

DSC00903Large.jpg

DSC00902Large.jpg

Front plate
DSC00928Large.jpg

DSC00927Large.jpg

LCD test

DSC00904Large.jpg

DSC00906Large.jpg

Scanner, also a couple videos of the scanners.

DSC00926Large.jpg

IMG_0851Large.jpg

I also have most of my center section done although i still need to figure out how to hold it all in the gun. Since i am building the live fire version i had to hand make most of it. I moded the rocket mounting block and gold nozzle from the zf run. I still need to cut the rocket tube more but i am not sure how far yet. Once i build the rocket fin structure i can figure out where to cut it. I have a stripped AK47 receiver i am putting in this but i only have a 7.62mm mag for it. I ordered the proper 5.45mm polish tantal magazine for it and it should be here this week. The standard AK47 mags are a different shape then the 5.45 AK74 mags. I am not planning on putting a firing gun in this. Just a stripped receiver so no need to worry about me putting 5.45 mags in the 7.62 receiver! The torch part is just sitting there. I have some work done on the torch itself but it will have to wait for another post. There is alot involved in that thing. Especially gluing it together so it is sealed. Not looking forward to it to be honest. Also waiting for a valve for it.

DSC00911Large.jpg

DSC00909Large.jpg

I also had to extend the grip to meet the receiver. Last time i did catalyzers i added some to it since it was made with TC1630 also.

DSC00601Large.jpg

DSC00602Large.jpg

DSC00615Large.jpg

I need to drill a hole to get the rod through it but i need to wait for the lower pod positioning and receiver positioning to be finallized.

DSC00651Medium.jpg

Thanks again!

Here is something i glassed yesterday. I wanted a strip of aluminum at the bottom to give it more support. there will be 3 screws from the bottom. 1 up front at the lower pod grip that threads into the strip, 1 at the rear that goes through the pod and screws to the aluminum strip These are just to hold the pod to the aluminum strip. Then there will be one in the middle that will go though the alum. strip and screw into the mangalore grip aluminum rod. This one i am leaving until i know where the grip sits. I also drilled and thread 2 locations for crossbars to screw to. These crossbars will be bolted to the frame and will have holes in for the studs to come through. I used threaded rods to keep the thread cleanish while i glass. I will either use threaded rods and securing nuts or just use screws. I would rather use studs though so when i tighten them i don't have to worry about running the screw though the bottom of the pod.Once i had it all drilled and screwed in i unscrewed it, layed some epoxy, then bolted it back on and built up the sides with fiberglass matting. Then i layed a layer over the bar too. It has dried and today i will put another few strips along the side and another piece to cover the whole thing. Then i will need to grind off the glass at the mounting stud points so the crossbars sit flat on the aluminum strip.
The pods really are alot of work to get straight and spaced properly and where i think most will have issues. Although i had my bottom done i noticed one side of it where the maquis part goes had more of an angle on one side then the other so i had to grind the pod thin on that side and space it out with an aluminum rod then reglass it to that position. Much better now.

DSC00809Large.jpg

DSC00811Large.jpg

DSC00813Large.jpg

DSC00814Large.jpg

DSC00929Large.jpg

I used a grinder and roughed up the strip top and bottom for better epoxy grip. Oh and a grinder is a tool for removing material, not a sandwhich for you northerners.:facepalm

DSC00931Large.jpg

All Glassed in

DSC00932Large.jpg

Here is my crooked pod, the right side is at more of an angle.

DSC00824Large.jpg

I wedged it so that only one side would move out.

DSC00825Large.jpg

Here it is glassed.
DSC00934Large.jpg

Amazing stuff ZK! I am always blown away with your updates!

That shell is going to be a nightmare. I have cut mine and tried to line stuff up but I'm afraid it's never going to measure up to the rest of the build.

Thanks Gary,

Did you get the pod from Superkrates or Matt? Mine came form Matt and was in 2 halves. It is probably more work but i liked the idea of putting it together the way i want and make sure the top had a good even curve. It was a pain to do at the begining, now that it's together, adjustments are easier. It's still a steep learning curve to build this thing. Designing and drawing parts for the run was hard but nothing like dealing with the pod. It's just a whole different thing. All of a sudden you have to know how to lay glass like your making a boat. On top of that i am making a hand made frame so it's grind some of the frame and then mod a part and then grind more, mod the pod, mod the part glass more. It's my grail prop so i will learn and do whatever is nessesary to build it. I need to draw up the top barrel parts but i really can't until i get this pod and frame done and get them to hang out together.

Here is what i did before work this morning. Second layer of glass in on and it is thick enough now. Might seem like overkill but this thing is going to weigh with all this aluminum and motors and electronics and 2 12v lipo batteries and AK receiver and mag. If this lower section is not strong then it could break and if it breaks the thing falls and goes boom. I don't want that so overkill is good. It should be cured enough to touch this evening.

DSC00936Large.jpg

DSC00937Large.jpg

DSC00938Large.jpg

Thanks guys, this is just one way to build it. There are probably easier ways. Got some more done and more cutting. Have to do some trimming on the bottom fins still . I am probably not installing any kind of gun in this. I made some bracket so if that is the case i have a place to mount the top part of the grip and barrel. I may put in something still, not sure. I also did a first wet sand on the fins and sideplates to clean up the tons of fine scratches and marks.

DSC01090Large.jpg

DSC01091Large.jpg

DSC01092Large.jpg

DSC01096Large.jpg

DSC01097Large.jpg

DSC01100Large.jpg

DSC01103Large.jpg

DSC01104Large.jpg

DSC01107Large.jpg

DSC01108Large.jpg

DSC01109Large.jpg

You'll have to draw them up and have them machined. We only made enough for the current run and do not sell them individually. Sorry.

Not sure i want to partake in this disscussion, Kurt is a good guy. His ZF is really nice and don't know how he feels about someone taking his work and copying it even if it is to get metal parts made. That may be something he is doing or is planning. You are also in GA where he is. All i can say is compare his to the ZF reference that is out there and make your own decision. You may want to contact him about his ZF. He has a great thread here if you want to look at it built.

http://www.therpf.com/f9/zf1-functional-airsoft-rocket-articulation-122666/

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back