World War Z (Pre-release)

Some friends of mine are and were working on armour for costume props for this at Longcross Studios, here in the UK. They've made some great looking stuff. It has a totally different look to what I would have anticipated. They are gonna build some huge sets in the docklands in London and they head to Budapest soon too.

Rumour was, a few months back, that this was the first of a trilogy. I've not kept up to date with it as I couldn't get on it myself, so this may have been bull****.

So the official synopsis has been released and I'm just... disappointed, I guess. I had high hopes when I learned Brad Pitt was attached to the project and for this to be what they're putting out.... Well, I'm just speechless.

World War Z Movie Synopsis

World War Z movie synopsis is nothing like the book, internet melts down

Remember when the World War Z movie held such promise? Now, not so much. Paramount has released the synopsis for its film adaptation of Max Brooks' seminal zombie war story, and people are not happy about the massive deviations.

The internet is rising up like a last-ditch offensive to stop a zombie army. Read the collected rants below.

Here's the official synopsis from Paramount:
"The story revolves around United Nations employee Gerry Lane (Pitt), who traverses the world in a race against time to stop the Zombie pandemic that is toppling armies and governments and threatening to decimate humanity itself."
As you can see, rather than taking place after the bloody Zombie Wars, this movie will be set during the beginning of the outbreak. And Pitt will be running around to try and stop it. So basically, it's every zombie movie ever made that no one saw. It sounds like this adaptation won't even be a shadow of the original novel. The synopsis reads like the producers cherry-picked a few battles and then wove them together around Pitt's character. This is disheartening, to say the least, and we're not alone in our disappointment. Plenty of folks feel the same way, and here's why they're pissed:
Film School Rejects thinks it's all just a damn shame.
f you're going to get fans of the book excited, only to take away what makes the book unique, what's the point? To make a movie In Name Only that uses the title as a hook to get people into the theater before switching your bait?
Why does the adaptation formula seem to be:
1. Find something people like.
2. Option it.
3. Change that thing people like.
Now, instead of a slam dunk, [Director Marc] Forster and company will now have to convince fans that this is worth checking out (and not just another zombie movie to add to the pile). That's a shame.
Topless Robot was less than thrilled:
******** it. The thing that made World War Z special — and the thing that makes The Walking Dead special, for that matter — is that it's not about the zombies, it's about the people. WWZ makes it a global history, where we get to see how a zombie invasion shaped society in general and various places in specific. It's not about one soldier who trots the goddamned globe fighting zombies. That's just another goddamned regular zombie movie, albeit one with a broader scope. Is it really that hard for Hollywood to wrap their heads around a zombie story that isn't a ****ty action-horror film?
Bloody Disgusting's headline sounded a bit disappointed, and almost a little sad:
World War Z' Might Not Be What We Hoped For
Screen Rant attempted to calm the masses asking why we were even surprised, this isn't new in Hollywood, but not before slipping this little zinger in:
Brooks' book explored – among other things – how the world would or wouldn't be able to cope with a massive disaster like a zombie apocalypse. The sci-fi/horror premise was a great allegorical frame for a lot of relevant political, social and moral questions. This movie is basically your tried-and-true (and often failed) race-against-time action/thriller. You probably wouldn't even bat an eye if [they] were to lie and say that Roland Emmerich was directing.
But probably the best rant against Marc Forster and his shallow of an adaptation of an Oral History of the Zombie War is from Peter Hall at Movies.com:
Paramount's World War Z is not Max Brooks' World War Z. As anyone who has read (and no doubt subsequently fallen in love with) the latter, it's about an agent of the UN's Postwar Commission who goes around the world to interview survivors of the zombie apocalypse in order to understand exactly how it happened. He's just a researcher trying to unearth facts that the UN might not want to get out whilst making sense of this big, bloody, global brain-eating mess. He is NOT an employee "in a race against time to stop the Zombie pandemic." He's not even a little bit of that. Not even a fraction.
But what do you all think? It is pretty early in the game for the film, plus who knows who writes the synopsis for movies (that are still filming). Perhaps it's all just one giant misunderstanding, or perhaps WWZ the movie will surprised us all. Can this movie be saved? Is it even a World War Z movie anymore?

Visited the WWZ film set in Glasgow this morning. They're currently turning George Square into a mini part of Philadelphia!!
Filming takes place from today until the end of next week.

Nothing too exiting at the moment, signs going up, American cars etc ready and waiting. No filming as yet!

The crew are busy painting, changing signs etc, but took a few snaps this morning.

Looks like they are filming two car crashes, possibly on Sunday 21st and Sunday 28th - as these are the two days were there are full road closures around George Square. Will try and pop along this Sunday to get a few more snaps, hopefully with a small glimpse of filming action!

World War Z - Glasgow Film Set pictures by G17RDY - Photobucket

I'm gonna try to get along for a looksee around 11pm - midnight tomorrow night if I can... Anyone else wanna join me and the missus for a quick swatch? ;)

I had to laugh at an article that had people complaining about the story and how it's being made already. They made it sound like a generic zombie movie with next to nothing to do with the book, which reminds me of I, Robot.

"The story revolves around United Nations employee Gerry Lane (Pitt), who traverses the world in a race against time to stop the Zombie pandemic that is toppling armies and governments and threatening to decimate humanity itself."

Ok... so I'm thinking they didn't read the same book I did. :unsure

I loved the book and I'm not huge zombie anything fan. I think what made the book for me is that it isn't just about a zombie epidemic, it's a socio-economic commentary on the world today. It was like reading a forecasting of how a worldwide epidemic will probably play out.

I was excited about this movie (note the past tense there), now I'm thinking I might pass and wait for Netflix.

Last edited:
I was interested until i read that they're flying in american cars and other items to turn a Scottish town into Philadelphia. It doesn't cost that much to film in PA people, just ask the producers of the new batman film. Should be a rule that if the movie is set in the US it has to film here. This is why i stopped buying George Romero's movies, he used Canada as a stand in for a Pittsburgh like city.

I was interested until i read that they're flying in american cars and other items to turn a Scottish town into Philadelphia. It doesn't cost that much to film in PA people, just ask the producers of the new batman film. Should be a rule that if the movie is set in the US it has to film here. This is why i stopped buying George Romero's movies, he used Canada as a stand in for a Pittsburgh like city.

I honestly don't see what difference it makes. I don't make my mind up if i want to see a film or not based on the set locations.

As far as i know Glasgow City Council offered the location and services for free, and it is reported that it will bring £2 million to the local economy. i may be wrong, but that's what has been said.

Glasgow is a fantastic city for architecture and buildings, and provides an excellent backdrop, plus us Scot's actually get to see something exciting with our own eyes, from the Holywood film industry.

I think its fantastic that Holywood comes to our doorstep, and i am looking forward to seeing my local town on the big screen!

Just as a side note, i also heard that Christopher Nolan wants to film a part of 'The Dark Knight Rises' here on the A9 (A fantastic little road) - A scene involving a Hercules crash. Don't know if this will actually happen, but it sounds well exciting.

It's gonna be awesome. The book is a must read for any zombie fan. (I am a huge one). The book is great because it deals with the old slow moving originals. Sticks to the foots.

You gotta remember though that from the synopsis listed, this movie doesn't have much in common with the source material. This could really just be World War Z in name.

almost finished listening to the first season, audio Drama of We're Alive- A Story of Survival, if you enjoyed World War Z, like I did, I would Highly recommend listening to this at www.zombiepodcast.com, they just finished the Second season! Very Intense Drama, I would like to see a Movie made from this!

I honestly don't see what difference it makes. I don't make my mind up if i want to see a film or not based on the set locations.

As far as i know Glasgow City Council offered the location and services for free, and it is reported that it will bring £2 million to the local economy. i may be wrong, but that's what has been said.
I'm guessing that the upset is over the bolded bit. America needs money and jobs, and rather than giving the state they're depicting a financial shot in the arm they're going to shoot in Glasgow.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back